Baldwin filter cut open

This was in service for 3 months and 4,000 miles on a 2018 Ford police interceptor utility with a 3.7L in it. The oil was Mag1 synthetic 5w30. We uese these on the whole fleet due to low bid purchasing. Over all it looks good to me.

20200507_094022.jpg

20200507_094035.jpg

20200507_094046.jpg

20200507_094051.jpg

20200507_094102.jpg

20200507_094110.jpg

Thanks for C&P … you got a better picture of the coil spring PRV (1 of 2 coil springs) … mine was too blurry to post.
Baldwin has lots of metal construction in these filters …

Originally Posted by Donald
but no silicone ADBV

They elected to make it in two parts. Took a quart to top up same as PF63.

49F11CBB-005B-4758-AC5C-4FF3C21D932D.jpeg

Baldwin filters have always been a quality-made part, it's just their efficiency is nothing special. That along with a nitrile ADBV makes them a very expensive 'low-end' filter. They don't do anything a Fram Extra Guard or Purolator red can do at less than half the price.

If one can get the Baldwin filters cheap (like when Zoro has one of their sales), they can be a great alternative. I think they use better nitrile in their ADBVs than Purolator and others, I haven't had leakdown issues with them. Not the greatest efficiency, but built like a TANK! Next bad media I see in one would be the first!

They don't put any info on the box … guess since they are really meant for fleet purchases

3BD89AB4-7C2D-45FD-B191-653DFAE708D1.png

Originally Posted by 4WD
They don't put any info on the box … guess since they are really meant for fleet purchases

I am not sure if I am reading this info correctly.
Is this 89.4% @12 microns?
If so, thats not bad is it?
would probably be mid 90s% at 20 micron would it not?!

Originally Posted by 4WD

50% at 12 microns, 98 2/3% at 25 microns. Not Ultra or bypass filter numbers, but more than good enough. Biggest thing with Baldwin is price, they can either be a good deal or big $, have to shop around & catch the deals when they're available. AAP/Carquest thinks enough of them to make then their "HD" oil filters, can't be all bad.

Yes, after buying a couple... found ACD PF63e cheaper ... but amazing what the commercial accounts get them for
Made in USA like so many filters

Baldwins meet or beat OEM on filtration and flow... mostly just meet. The cans usually exceed on burst strength. I've had good luck with them for the past 3 years, and I've cut every single one of them as they come off. I have no problems with drain-back or startup rattle, and my pickup only gets started once a week, if that.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by 4WD

50% at 12 microns, 98 2/3% at 25 microns. Not Ultra or bypass filter numbers, but more than good enough.

Yep, not bad ... there are worse out there in terms of efficiency. Probably equates close to 95% @ 20u which is what WIX and NAPA Gold filters are.

I'm shocked at they use MAG 1 oil.

It's good stuff, but never thought it's was a bulk type oil

It's hard to find where I live

Originally Posted by kstanf150

They might have a deal with Grainger/Zoro, Zoro often has good deals on Mag 1 too, I have a couple cases of Dexron VI/LV ATF for the Express, Zoro actually beat all other prices on it.

They might have a deal with Grainger/Zoro, Zoro often has good deals on Mag 1 too, I have a couple cases of Dexron VI/LV ATF for the Express, Zoro actually beat all other prices on it.

Maybe so

I've got a case of Mobil ATF LV HP if anybody needs some
Let me know

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Donald
but no silicone ADBV

They elected to make it in two parts. Took a quart to top up same as PF63.

Certain ones do. I've seen some that are one piece.

Maybe so

I've got a case of Mobil ATF LV HP if anybody needs some
Let me know

You local supplier is Federated Auto parts. We use a quick lube style rack that holds 6 gallon boxes with spouts on them. They used to supply us with Federated store branded synthetic in those boxes which was made and bottled by Mag 1 (Warren Dist). Mag 1 quit labeling those boxes in the store brands due to low use as I'm told. Now they only ship with Mag 1 packaging. Same oil, different box. We pay $ 88 an box with 6 gallons in it of Dexos gen 2 full syn oil.

Originally Posted by Kira
They seem top shelf to my eye.

They aren't readily available, just like their sibling Hastings.

Napa carries them locally, but mine (Motorcraft FL820 equivalent) would be $13, I can get two Platinums or Golds for less than that...

It does look like a very well made filter though...

One caveat though that makes a Baldwin filter attractive is that apparently a second, larger (approx. one qt.) filter fits meaning I could increase the oil capacity. But at $14 it's not that attractive...

Last edited:
Back