storing new motorcycle battery

Long story short, I thought I needed a new motorcycle battery, but it looks like the old one is OK. In the mean time, I ordered a new Yuasa. Since it comes dry with the acid in a separate container, I'm thinking it should be fine to put it on the shelf and store until needed...right?

That is the correct. good for a few years as long as the seal over the cell opening is intact. If the seal is broken when you get it, send it back. If you break it, activate immediately.

Follow the activation procedure, fill, let soak, charge, let rest again, charge a little more.

You can fill and install right away, this will cost you somewhere between 20% and 50% of battery life.

Rod

I'm sure the new battery will be fine stored dry, but how old is your old battery? What made you think the old one was going bad? Since you have already bought a new battery, why not go ahead and use it? My battery is 3 1/2 years old and starts my motorcycle fine, but I'll probably replace mine soon. I wouldn't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery, knowing I have a new one on the shelf at home.

We use to make dry cell industrial batteries for fork trucks and submarines back in the day. They charge the plates up in big open tank rows with the individual pos/neg plates alternated and then linked with a lead strap. The acid they use is rather weak around 1.050 sg or so, whereas a finished battery will be around 1.250-1.275 sg.

The positive plate after being formed is just hung and dried in an oven. The negative plate that is now converted to active material is put in racks to dry, there is some sort of chemical reaction with air as they get warm and steam off the water. Then the negative plates are put in a big solvent filled pressure cooker to drive out the water. A battery made with this process is ready to go once filled.

That's the beauty of dry charged batteries.... shelf stable for a long time.

In three decades of motorcycling, that's about the only advantage that I've ever been able to find, though.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
They make dry charge AGM.

Rod

That would be a neat trick. Last AGM I bought for my John Deere only last 15 years.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
They make dry charge AGM.

Rod

That would be a neat trick. Last AGM I bought for my John Deere only last 15 years.

Yuasa makes them so must be OK.. They say shelf life is 5 years.

Back