Post how much fluid remains in trany / torque converter during a drain and fill

Please use this thread to post information on how much fluid remains in the transmission, torque converter, and cooler during a drain and fill of the trany fluid and how much new fluid is put in, for different vehicles if you have that information, so you can get an idea of what percent of the old fluid remains in the trany.

I have a 2016 Honda CR-V with the CVT trany and AWD. The AWD version of this system takes 4 and 1/2 quarts to fill it back up after a drain. I have 20,500 miles on the vehicle and plan on drain and fills every 25K miles because I consider the hills of Pittsburgh to be severe service, and I plan on keeping this vehicle for a very long time. I was wondering how much fluid remains in the trany when this is done so I called the local Honda dealer and spoke to someone in the parts department. They were not sure but think a new dry unit would take about 7 quarts to fill. If that is correct then 7 - 4.5 = 2.5 quarts of the old fluid remaining in. That means after a drain and fill there would be about 64% new fluid in the trany and torque converter.

If anyone has more accurate information about how much fluid a dry system of a 2016 Honda CR-V CVT AWD takes please let me know.

Last edited:
Just did an 03 Ram 5-45. 12 qt fluid capacity needed 7 qts after pan drop and both filters were replaced. Front end was jacked up and I think I got about 1 qt more than I normally would.

I saw a post on a Honda CR-V forum where someone said that they checked the trany fluid after the dealer did a drain and fill and it was dark. They complained that the dealer did not change the fluid, and charged them for doing it when they did not. But after thinking about it, I thought that if the old fluid was really dark and enough of it stayed in, then it could make the new fluid look dark. So maybe that is something to keep in mind when the fluid is drained and filled. Some vehicles take quite a bit of fluid for the torque converter and usually the old fluid in the torque converter stays there during a drain and fill, and then mixes with the new fluid when the vehicle is ran after the fill.

Last edited:
I got a well used 2015 Altima with 80K miles from Hertz for a friend. The CVT had never been serviced.
The fluid was almost black on the initial service.
I did another in about 2K miles; the fluid looked better.
The 3rd was done later (don't remember mileage) and the fluid looked reasonable.

You will be fine. Honda CVTs don't seem to have problems like other makes.
Good luck.

That method sounds good to me
01.gif

One drain and fill each time the MM suggests it will be more than enough to last a long time
smile.gif

The case of Castrol CVT on Amazon is still the best deal, but theirs is red, which some people don't like. That doesn't stop the Castrol from being a good choice for your Honda.
However, if you don't like that, Walmart has Valvoline CVT at a good price and is amber colored.

I never worried about getting every last drop of transmission fluid out. The factory recommendation is typically to drain the fluid and refill. They usually don't mention getting the fluid out of the torque converter so if you're following the standard recommendation, it's expected that there will be old fluid in the torque converter. I always felt it was a little OCD for the ones who wanted to get every last drop of old fluid out when the manufacturer never calls for that.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

If anyone has more accurate information about how much fluid a dry system of a 2016 Honda CR-V CVT AWD takes please let me know.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...yl-engine-code-k24w9-8/?volume=us-volume

For Automatic Transmission: BLJA (AWD)....VTF20

Capacities: 4.5 quarts Initial Fill
BLJA (AWD) Total Fill 8.9 quarts

Looks like a drain and fill gets just over 50% new fluid. I'd do 2x drain and fill to start. Then a single d&f every 25k sounds reasonable.

2003 Ford 4R70W, dry capacity w/ oil cooler 13.9 quarts. Recent pan drop, filter and two day drain time yielded just shy of 7 quarts.

I would say 2-3 quarts depending on the unit, more or less.

But I would tell you that I have owned Hondas (still actually have one in the family) and I always just did a drain and fill once a year, whether it needed it or not. One had 289,000 miles by the time I sold it (not one single problem with that tranny). And the other we still own (2008 CRV 144,000 miles), not a single issue with that entire vehicle. Never had anything quite as reliable as this one.

Well considering I spent a good amount of yesterday and will be today emptying core transmissions that people didn't drain, it varies between 1-2 quarts on a 4R70W to 8 on a Torqshift.

IMG_4318.jpg

I don't know about CVT, but in the regular many shifts tranny what stays in the TC is about 60% so a D & F would only change about 40%
Anybody rebuilding a tranny ought to get a TC with a drain plug, like they used to have.

Last edited:
Back