cpo nissan nonsedan models?

i'm kinda looking at used vehicles and drawn to nissan rogue and rogue sport suv, or frontier maxicab models. ive enjoyably sat in them and rented a larger pathfinder a couple of years ago for a long trip. i know about the suv cvt worries and the general fall in nissan quality. i know about nissan's low future resale value since they are priced low to me now.

so here is my question: assuming that i am fully prepared to religiously do regular maintenance, and even more on a severe use schedule, and if i can find a good price during this beer-time downturn, would a cpo nissan rogue or rogue sport or frontier carry me reliably several years to say 100k miles? or a bit less? is cpo even worth it, or just a low mile, lower priced vehicle? are they ticking time bombs, even if i do regular or better cvt maintenance?

i'm not looking here for other make/model suggestions, just your specific, first hand, long term ownership and/or wrenching experience on these nissans. thanks!

A product with a somewhat dubious reliability record.
Even with a CPO you don't know prior maintenance history.
You only know they passed it through the 50 point inspection.

This would be too risky for me, I'd pass.

A guy I worked with had a Frontier King Cab with 4wd.

It served him pretty well. The complaints about them seem to be the dated looking interior and features.

I've driven one recently and loved it. It had about 18K miles on it and was fully loaded. Came close to buying it but decided it wasn't enough diff from the '14 Soul I had. There are tons of them on the road, so they must have something going for them. Some Certified cars have better warranty's than new ones.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
read an internet article a year ago by a lawyer, he said the ONLY guarantee with CPO was a longer warranty, he said some of the CPO inspections are suspect.

Well, yeah. If there is something wrong, the new owner will discover it and will bring it to the dealer's attention and get it fixed then, so why should the dealer waste time on a comprehensive CPO inspection?
smile.gif

Yeah, my dealership was pretty bad about the CPO thing. The company has since changed hands so I don't mind telling this story. Had an Accord that was mislabeled as CPO on our website. It was not CPO. Customer wouldn't buy it and the salesperson on it was frantically trying to save the deal. He and the sales manager end up telling the customer that it was labeled that way because we sent the paperwork to Honda and that once we got the paperwork back, we could sell it as CPO. Customer leaves with an appointment to come back on the weekend. This wasn't the case however, and for a Honda to be sold as CPO, the service department has to do a 150 point inspection on the vehicle, send the paperwork to Honda who will either deny CPO or approve it with the money to fix the issues (similar to how a warranty issue works), then we get notification of the CPO approval. This can take up to a few weeks to do, but not if you worked at my dealership. Sales Manager completes the CPO paperwork that the service department would've filled out, obviously, he finds the car to be in great shape, sends the paperwork in to Honda before EOD.

Anyways, customer comes in on Saturday, they finish the deal with the Accord sold as CPO. Paperwork done, customer leaves, the car is still not approved by Honda. They sit on the deal instead of submitting immediately, thinking that if Honda denies the CPO for some unknown reason, they could always find an "issue" with the paperwork and have the customer come back and re-fill everything out with the car no longer "CPO". The customer will have been in the car for about a week (plus or minus a few days, always seemed to be different), so the chances of them backing out over the CPO thing is minimized. If all goes according to plan, we get the notification from Honda and we submit the paperwork to complete the deal and the customer is none-the-wiser. This is what happened. Ultimately the customer unknowingly bought a non-CPO vehicle that was supposedly CPO, got car approved for CPO before submitting the paperwork, the car never saw our service department except for the initial Used Car Inspection we did when we first got the vehicle. It was not long after that I left the car business.

I purchased a CPO'd Nissan product a few years ago. It was our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. I didn't buy it because it was CPO, it just happened to be what my bride liked and for a price I was OK with.

The dealership talks-up the CPO process as you'd expect them to, but for me it was a complete joke. I had issues that were checked off and initialed in triplicate and then signed off by the general manager saying they were OK and they weren't.

#1, the vehicle was missing the spare tire. #2 Had only one FOB. #3 Had mismatched tires. #4 Was missing an interior bit or two. After some back/forth, they made good on all of it and extended my extended warranty a bit.

My point is, I would never specifically seek a CPO'd vehicle because it's nothing more than a marketing strategy.

Nissans are obviously not your best choice for quality, but I like them because of their comfort, driving dynamics and most importantly, they are a bargain used. The Frontier is your best choice for an old school, well proven vehicle. The latest generation Rogue seems to be a nice vehicle as well. Lots of friends and family have them and love them. An extended warranty isn't a horrible idea for a used Nissan if you plan to keep if for years and it takes you a long time to get to beyond 100K miles.

I have a 2018 Rogue S, it is a CPO, bought it back in January with 41,000 miles on it. The Nissan dealer added about $2,000.00 for the extra CPO warranty but it was still a pretty good price overall. There is also a maintenance plan came with it that I will probably never use, it is for tire rotations and oil changes at the dealer for the next 4 years. When I bought the car the dealer changed the oil with their bulk conventional 5W30 and a quart of some kind of "oil cleaner" snake oil I never heard of before. The oil level was about an inch past the full mark on the dipstick when I brought it home. I changed it that afternoon with 0W20 STP and a new OEM filter.

The car is really clean and in very good shape, it was a local trade from Orlando. It's a nice car, looks good and gets good MPG but also will get up and go If I need it. The only thing I don't like is the CVT. It has a vibration to it at a couple points in the middle of the power band. It's ok at lower speeds and when cruising on the highway but if I am accelerating but at constant speed around 42 mph it has a vibration I feel in the console and steering wheel. Let off the gas or speed up and the vibration goes away. Nissan has said it is normal and is how the CVT is designed. I never noticed it on the test drive and now I am learning to live with it. Other than that it's a very nice car with a good warranty. I hope I never need to use the warranty.

My wife has a 2014 Rogue she bought new in April 2014. It has 71,000 miles on it now, and has never needed any repairs except for a battery and one time so far replaced the front and rear brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. I change the oil and rotate tires on both cars myself every 6 months/5,000 miles and I save every receipt. I get the CVT fluid changed in her car at the Nissan dealer every 30 to 35,000 miles, brake fluid flush every 3 years. I had a brake flush and CVT fluid exchange done at the dealer on my Rogue when I bought it. Neither car is due for a coolant flush yet, Nissan says that is due every 7 years. My wife's Rogue has the CVT vibration too, just not as bad as mine. I think that might be because the suspension in mine is still pretty firm, not yet really broken in like hers.

The Rogue is a pretty good car, it was the best price I could get on a SUV type vehicle. The ride quality is comfortable but very firm, which my wife and I both like but it does not ride like a pickup truck either. The a/c works great, and will freeze you out in no time. We live in Florida and the few times we have used the heat it also worked very well. All the buttons and controls on the dash are very intelligently laid out and have a quality feel to them. The seats, door panels and all of the interior bits all seem to be very good quality. The backup camera is one of the best I have ever seen in any vehicle and the radio works with Android Auto and Waze. Buy a good quality USB cable if you plan on using Android Auto, the cheaper ones do not work very well with the Nissan radio. I had a lot of skipping and intermittent cell phone/Pandora connections with a lower quality cable. Mine has the blind spot and lane departure warning system on it, it is a really good feature especially when driving in traffic. It has saved me a few times already.

Nissan is a pretty good car for the money. From what I have done on my wife's Rogue and my own, I can say they have not been a nightmare to work on, but I am no technician either. I can't really say one way or the other about longevity, other than my wife's car is over 6 years old now, is still in great shape and has only needed a battery, one set of front and rear brake pads and regular oil change/tire rotations, regular fluid flushes and a few air filters and cabin filters. Luckily I am still able to do a lot of that myself.

I love the way the previous gen Altima drives. However, I'd not purchase one unless it came with a long term transmission warranty that covered any possible failure. Those smaller CVT's do not hold up.

But it's good to note that the CVT in the V6 Murano/Maxima (yes, I know they are not the same chassis) do hold up.

Originally Posted by Imp4

This. The only Nissan I would even consider would be the Frontier.
Too much Renault in their products for me.

The Frontier is a decent enough truck engine and transmission wise, but the rest of the tech is very outdated, and the market has gone in other directions so if/when you do resell it the value will sink drastically. The Rouge would have to be s a flat out pass for me, CVT's do not belong is sports cars, big sedans, crossovers or SUV's. They are for economy cars and hybrids only. The 17-19 CX5 and Rav4 are objectively very good vehicles and most are still under warranty so as long as you pick one that is you should still be able to get an extended warranty though Mazda or Toyota respectively out to 8 year/100k mile for under $2500 even if you buy it from a non Mazda or Toyota dealer.

The only Nissans I'd consider owning are the 370Z and the Frontier. The newer FWD/CVT vehicles bore me to tears. I would also recommend that Nissan begin drug testing their designers/stylists on a daily basis.

I love it when dealers say "It's gone through an X-point inspection." In my experience, this holds absolutely no water and this is simply a cursory look-over at best. I recently bought a vehicle and when shopping considered two vehicles at two different dealerships: one had the trim piece on the B pillar obviously loose due to a broken clip which I pointed out to the salesman immediately. The one that I purchased had a filthy air filter, which if actually checked like they stated would've been an obvious candidate for replacement. I don't care as I don't expect anything, I fully assume and plan to take care of all of this stuff myself once I bring it home. Just goes to show that outside of warranty there is, IMO, no benefit whatsoever to buying CPO.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
I love it when dealers say "It's gone through an X-point inspection." In my experience, this holds absolutely no water and this is simply a cursory look-over at best. I recently bought a vehicle and when shopping considered two vehicles at two different dealerships: one had the trim piece on the B pillar obviously loose due to a broken clip which I pointed out to the salesman immediately. The one that I purchased had a filthy air filter, which if actually checked like they stated would've been an obvious candidate for replacement. I don't care as I don't expect anything, I fully assume and plan to take care of all of this stuff myself once I bring it home. Just goes to show that outside of warranty there is, IMO, no benefit whatsoever to buying CPO.

I know that the dealer I worked at thoroughly inspected our CPO cars- and often rejected them for the program. My CPO F22 was purchased from another dealer and it was in absolutely pristine condition. Ditto for my wife's E83- the dealer corrected a couple of issues discovered during the CPO inspection.

Having said all that, the quality of a CPO vehicle is only as good as the certifying dealer, but I don't think you can make a blanket statement concerning the quality or value of CPO programs.

This site is something, You think other makes don't have transmission issues? A transmission shop on every corner and they are all full of Nissan CVT's. I have had 4 New Nissan's since 2013 and they have all served me well. Don't buy this BS about Nissan quality going downhill bla bla bla its the same 5 user's bashing them in every thread.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of bashing Nissan. The 3.5 Altima and Maxima are pretty good vehicles, so is the Frontier, 370z and GTR. The small Nissan and Infiniti SUV's are CVT's or that variable compression engine or a Mercedes Nissan Frankanwagons, yeah run far and run fast. I reiterate a low miles Frontier that was a mall crawler would be good option used for the right price so long as OP can live with it for a few years.

Originally Posted by stroked93
This site is something, You think other makes don't have transmission issues? A transmission shop on every corner and they are all full of Nissan CVT's. I have had 4 New Nissan's since 2013 and they have all served me well. Don't buy this BS about Nissan quality going downhill bla bla bla its the same 5 user's bashing them in every thread.

I'm with you, I think my Maxima is great and have had no issues. However, I assume with that many vehicles in that short of a timespan means you haven't racked up any considerable mileage on any of them before trading up, so doesn't really speak to the overall reliability of the CVTs.

Originally Posted by stroked93

For me it's not a question of quality, it's the simple fact that Nissan builds-with a couple of exceptions-bizarre looking vehicles that I find deadly dull to drive.

Originally Posted by Imp4

Usually they come with a CarFax. Some owners go to places that register maintenance with CarFax. I bought a used 2015 Honda Pilot and the two prior owners used Honda dealers for all maintenance do i know it was maintained.

Back