3.0L TDI

Anyone know if the 3.0L TDI's are prone to high wear metal readings? I realize it is my first test on this car, but these numbers are a bit concerning I think. I did just purchase this car about 15K miles ago.

Audi UOA.jpg

Really hard to see the details. If you went the full interval, you may want to cut it down to 7500 or so and resample to see.

I used that oil a few months back and didn't like it at all, was ok at first then started to breakdown increasing fuel usage and engine oil temps. It looked the goods when I researched it but yea not good for my car. All of this is just what i noticed i didn't get a UOA or anything so you know...

Originally Posted by adamsoil
I used that oil a few months back and didn't like it at all, was ok at first then started to breakdown increasing fuel usage and engine oil temps. It looked the goods when I researched it but yea not good for my car. All of this is just what i noticed i didn't get a UOA or anything so you know...

The oil suffered "breakdown" which caused increased fuel consumption and higher engine temperatures? That's some conclusion you've drawn there.

Originally Posted by kschachn

The oil suffered "breakdown" which caused increased fuel consumption and higher engine temperatures? That's some conclusion you've drawn there.

Haha sorry buddy i didn't use the bob lingo. Has a very high VI. It seems you might have suffered a "breakdown" haha

Last edited:
Haha sorry buddy i didn't use the bob lingo. Has a very high VI. It seems you might have suffered a "breakdown" haha
Has a very high viscosity index? What are you talking about? If so, how did you measure the viscosity index change?

What were the engine oil temperatures you measured and how much did it increase as the breakdown occurred? I'm interested because higher viscosity results in a higher oil temperature, your use of the term "breakdown" generally means the oil has a reduced viscosity. This would lower oil temperaure.

I've suffered no breakdown, "buddy." Just asking for details on what you yourself posted.

Has a very high viscosity index? What are you talking about? If so, how did you measure the viscosity index change?

What were the engine oil temperatures you measured and how much did it increase as the breakdown occurred? I'm interested because higher viscosity results in a higher oil temperature, your use of the term "breakdown" generally means the oil has a reduced viscosity. This would lower oil temperaure.

I've suffered no breakdown, "buddy." Just asking for details on what you yourself posted.

haha i found a simple explanation for you. Why does it have a high VI...

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1327/viscosity-index-improvers

Right.

This is what I figured was the case with your posts but I wanted to see it to be sure. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Right.

This is what I figured was the case with your posts but I wanted to see it to be sure. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Its called friction, im sorry it doesn't conform to the your bob established and promoted ideals. What causes wear... haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shorthorn
Provi - Castrol Edge Professional LL03 5w/30 is what was in it.

Hmmmm see my 40k and 30k OC of my 2.0 TDI. I don't think it's the oil.

I posted some 3.0L TDI UOAs. They are outside the BITOG search limit so you'll need to google "wensteph bitog tdi"

Back