VMEO 0w20 thicker than PP & QSUD 5w20

Been bored so I did some research and compiled the data after looking at my oil stash.

Valvoline Modern Engine Oil 0W20 is actually a hair bit thicker by the numbers then Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 & a slight bit thicker than some others based of KV @100c.

I'm just guessing better base stocks or the add pack creates this?

BTW bought some 0w20 on clearance for $13.99 a 5 quart jug.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Same theme.

Noticed VME 5W-20 is thinner than PP 5W-20 at -30C, but VME is thicker at 100C, and the VME VI is lower.

Could this be due to a better base stock for the VME?

Wonder if GTL is all its cracked up to be?

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The HTHS is missing from most which would be a more telling story.

Majority of the product detail sheets online did not provide then otherwise I would have included.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The HTHS is missing from most which would be a more telling story.

Majority of the product detail sheets online did not provide then otherwise I would have included.

I know, it's sad. Even the more open man's (Mobil1) used to provide more information.

High KV100 for a 0W-20 is a bad thing in terms of engine wear. It shows that it has a thinner base oil and a higher VII content. The engine wear is dicated by the base-oil viscosity; so, you want the lowest KV100 possible, not a high KV100.

Here is the estimated base-oil viscosity and VII content values for the VME with the HTHS data as a guess:

Estimated base-oil viscosity at 150 °C (BO DV150) and VII content of selected oils

Note in the spreadsheet how the Euro-OEM version Valvoline SynPowerâ„¢ MST C5 0W-20 has a low KV100 because it is designed with reducing the engine wear and engine deposits being the primary concern for Euro-OEM oils. For ILSAC oils on the other hand, the fuel economy is the primary concern; so, they use a thinner base oil with a higher VII content -- resulting in a higher KV100 -- to increase the viscosity index VI for better fuel economy, while compromising the engine wear and engine deposits.

Back