Chrome socket with an impact, BUT using an impact extension/adapter

Yes I know, using chrome sockets on an impact wrench is a bad idea. The reason being is that the chrome sockets don't absorb the impact force like the CR-V impact sockets do, and can shatter. Is it okay however to use a chrome socket on an impact, IF you use an impact-rated extension or adapter in between? That way there is still something to take up the force of the impact. And as many of you know, the more extensions/adapters you add, the more the impacting effect is reduced. I ask this because i have various size impact sockets (1/2, 3/8) and use them between my 1/2 impact wrench and my impact driver which has a 1/4 hex with impact-rated socket adapters. Most of the fasteners being worked with don't require a lot of power to move, fwiw.

Last edited:
I use chrome sockets on Impacts daily.....If the sockets are good quality, You have nothing to fear.
I have a 1/2" drive 1-5/16" Snap-on Chrome socket for Dana 60/70 Pinion Nuts as Impact sockets are to thick, It sometimes requires a 3/4" Impact with an adapter to break loose! Haven't broke it yet.

Also have Chrome 3/4", 21mm, & 7/8" SO 1/2" drives for lug nuts.

I'm not sure how using an extension is much different than putting it straight on the anvil itself, the anvil on the tool would be made of a similar steel as an impact rated extension or socket wouldn't it?

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I'm not sure how using an extension is much different than putting it straight on the anvil itself, the anvil on the tool would be made of a similar steel as an impact rated extension or socket wouldn't it?

That's my thought too. As long as you have something impact-rated in the setup, you're fine.

Last edited:

I believe the anvil would be a harder steel.

It's well known that if you add extensions you lower the torque. There's actually torque sticks you can just instead of a torque wrench.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-69870.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdNk5XBqLs&ab_channel=RealToolReviews

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Harder than an impact extension but still softer than a chrome socket, my point was that it's not really a good idea, lots of people may get away with using chrome sockets on impacts but I wouldn't risk it, I'm sure going to the hospital with a face full of shrapnel is a lot more expensive than just buying the right tool in the first place.

Harder than an impact extension but still softer than a chrome socket, my point was that it's not really a good idea, lots of people may get away with using chrome sockets on impacts but I wouldn't risk it, I'm sure going to the hospital with a face full of shrapnel is a lot more expensive than just buying the right tool in the first place.

This 100% tire shop I go to, one of the techs needed stiches when a chrome socket exploded. If there was not a need than impact sockets wouldn't exists.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Don't do it. It will be fine, till its not fine. Not worth losing an eye or getting metal in your tissue.

I assume the mode of failure is the hardened socket will develop microscopic cracks overtime using them with an impact then one day it will shatter and since it shattered the tool becomes unloaded very quickly and throws the shrapnel everywhere at full unloaded speed before you take your finger off the trigger.

I opened myself up to get flamed.....That's Okay, I have thick skin!

I've busted FAR more chrome sockets using ratchets & breaker bars. The sockets I have busted with an Impact just split & rode over the hex of the bolt/nut. There are times where a Impact socket is too thick walled to do the job, Lug nuts & Pinion nuts are 2 that I run across frequently.

If good quality chrome sockets were prone to "explode".....I'd be well aware of it by now! BTW....Chrome sockets cost more than Impact sockets as a general rule for top quality brands.

I own more 1/2" drive impact sockets than I do chrome, Probably over $4,000 worth just in 1/2" drive! I will use a impact socket on a impact when I can except for lug nuts....I grab the chromes 100%.

Love to see some exploded Snap-on, Williams, Cornwell, Mac, Matco, Proto, Martin, Koken, Hazet, or Stahlwille chrome sockets!

Doing this isn't correct IMO. Plus, the anvil isn't the same steel. Look at an impact socket that's been used.. the square's corners get rounded and they wear out over time. They're consumables. An impact's anvil not so much.

Not saying I've never done it before though.
27.gif

Been in the industry 23 years working on forklifts, tractors and semi trucks etc. We turn up the compressors in our service vans to get big the fasteners loose or tight fast . I have 3 sets of the sockets for breakage I have never had a chrome socket shatter don't know where everyone gets their ideas. I have cracked lots of chrome sockets though and worn out even more. That is with Snap on sockets.

I have a 3/8 milwaukee stubby impact I purchased for my lugnuts. I went to northern tool and found a 3/8 21mm Klutch chrome socket to remove my nuts. Isnt Klutch a decent brand?

Originally Posted by Rand
most good impact sockets are CR-MO, most "chrome" sockets are CR-V
some cheaper impact sockets are CR-V

Hazet and Stahlwille impact sockets are labeled as CV as are many high end ones and definitely not cheap but in reality they are are an alloy containing CV, chrome, MO and some other elements. I had (probably still do) a set of Whitworth wrenches that had Chrome Moly Vanadium stamped right in them.
Here is a set of Hazet 900s and 900Slg (the lg is for long) that cost almost 7 bills.

https://handtools-from-germany.com/...-27-impact-6point-socket-size-27-mm.html

https://www.kctoolco.com/hazet-900s-23-pc-1-2-metric-impact-socket-set/

This is a tool steel, notice how small the amounts of elements are compared to the iron content.

[Linked Image]

Regarding the shattering of chrome sockets, may be with some cheap junk from China or India but generally not. If anything it may crack but that can happen even with hand use. The most common ones to crack in my experience is the deep sockets that are very deep broached, these are not common anymore today although they are very useful for removing sensors that use deep plugs.

Originally Posted by Trav

Hazet and Stahlwille impact sockets are labeled as CV as are many high end ones and definitely

true enough. I was talking more about store brands.

craftsman, pittsburg pro etc.

funny story they dont give you any extra money when you scrap that precious tool steel.

Had 1500lb+ of a very expensive steel high Vanadium content in the Wire EDM shop still 10cents/lb at the scrapyard.

My only point: if you are buying your tools at harbor freight.. make sure the impact sockets are CR-MO. The CR-V ones are not nearly as good.

If you are paying snap on prices.. whatever you are buying will hold up no matter what its labeled.

No, it (using an extension) will reduce the effective force of the impact tool but still poses a risk of cracking, and of ending up with the chrome plating flaking off like a little razor blade spinning around, slicing fingers and other things. IMO that is far more significant than whether you ruin the socket and are forced to buy the impact sockets you should've used in the first place.

I've used chromed sockets without failure but I still won't recommend it.

Last edited:
I used the old Craftsman 1/2" drive shallow chrome sockets on an impact as a professional technician for years. Was it the best practice? No, but I never had one shatter. I did crack several though.

For the money Harbor Freight made in Taiwan impact sockets are great.

Back