best way to pour oil in my car.

Seems like a dumb question.

I have a 2016 Escape with the 2.5L engine.

I did my first oil change on it a few months back, now time to do again.

The oil fill hole is very small, and is buried under the plastic cowl.

The first time I did it, I rigged a funnel under there and bent the cowl up with one hand while I poured oil from a 5 quart jug akwardly.

No spills but I don't want to do it like that again.

I thought of buying quarts of oil, but it seems like that way of buying oil is cost prohibitive compared to jugs, and bags.

Can anyone recommend an oil can with a long flexible pour spout that is good quality and easy to measure?

Takes 5.7 quarts.

My 2006 Honda Odyssey was similar. I used a long narrow funnel, then I held a standard funnel over the narrow one. The two funnels allowed me to bend the path of the oil flow. I just had to avoid overflow from pouring too fast. It worked OK. I am not sure if this would apply to your Escape or not.

I tend to pour from a 5 quart jug sideways. That way it doesn't glug when pouring which causes spills. Otherwise any old funnel works.

My Escape is the same way. I use a funnel with a bend in it like the red one posted above. Works great.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I tend to pour from a 5 quart jug sideways. That way it doesn't glug when pouring which causes spills. Otherwise any old funnel works.

Sideways no glug pour for the win!!!!

I have a 2017 Fusion with the 2.5 and I have none of the problems you speak of. Can you send a pic so we can see what you are talking about?

One method would be to buy 6 single quarts of what you plan to use. Use that up. Then buy the 5qt containers, or box, or what have you. Keep the empty single quart bottles and just transfer from the qty container into the smaller ones.

You could go as far as to buy just one container and keep shuttling back and forth, moving one qt at a time, but for the nuisance it might be worth doing it in the off days (refilling the single quart bottles that is).

IMO 5.7 is close enough to 6 to just dump 6 in, unless if you can show that it puts it way over the line... of course, if you're transferring into single bottles, it's trivial to put 0.7qt into one, I guess.

Can you find a funnel that has threads on it that match your engine? I think someone posted a funnel here for some Toyota applications.

I use a 2 gallon garden sprayer. Fill the necessary amount of oil, pressurize it and let it fill the engine.

Works well, and saves time.

Just get your oil at Napa. Their individual quart bottles go on sale a few times a year, no minimum, no maximum, so you're not stuck to multiples of 5 or 12.
The warehouse club boxes of 6 quarts would also suit your needs, or anywhere else you can buy by the case.

As you have discovered, the single quarts are easier to pour. The only time I use 5qt jugs is if the car takes around 5 quarts or something I can round to 5qt (4.9, 5.1, etc)

You might also like those flexible tubes that you'd use to fill a manual transmission or a diff.

I also have a 2016 Escape with the 2.5 …..that cowl that you speak of does make it hard to pour oil but a $1.00 long funnel
from Walmart makes it easy...changing the battery is far more difficult than it should be because of that cowl.

My BMW X1 and Mazda RX8 are both easy to get to, but I'm just shaky, so I'm gonna make a funnel out of my leftover Techron 20 oz container. Just cut the bottom off.

For me, I cut the bottom of the 1 qt oil bottle and use that as a funnel by turning it downside up.

Or go to Wally and choose what can work for your particular needs.

I have a 2016 Fusion w/ 2.5 and use the Havoline 6qt quick change box. I use all 6 qts in an oil change and for 20 bucks you cant beat it. No partials laying around and the extra amount of oil wont hurt a thing. The dipstick does not show over full. The fill for the Fusion is right on top of the valve cover because it does not have an appearance cover. A regular funnel works fine, it seems odd you have an issue with a funnel when I think about what the top of my 2.5 looks like.

Back