Accord 2.4L Valve Cover Leak

Just noticed valve cover is seeping on my '13 Accord 2.4L . Front of motor is sticky from the residue, but not anywhere near enough that any has dropped on concrete floor. Is this a pricey job if done by a dealer?

RepairPal says about $275 for that job near me.
Granted, that's at an independent and not a dealer, so add 30%-50% for a ballpark dealer price.

Also please note that this job can be done in your driveway for the cost of the gasket (about $40 at Amazon for OEM) and about 2 hours of your time.

This is a 7 year old car and one of the most common on the road. Absolutely no need to have this work done by a dealer. Any/every competent independent repair shop can easily handle this repair and for a substantial savings over the dealer's charges.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Get a valve adjustment done, the valve cover replacement labor will be nearly free.

At your mileage it is due for a valve adjustment anyway.

Research the reliability of a non-OEM valve gasket cover versus the Honda variant. Some of the non-OEMs for my 06 Sentra Spec V are known to leak.

It doesn't seem like too difficult an undertaking. The key element is a thorough cleaning before putting in the new part/parts. If I'm not mistaken, there's typically a sealing process which suggests to me that this kind of work is best done by an experienced mechanic.

Replacing the VC gasket is easy for a 4 cylinder engine.
Just get Felpro gasket set.
Usually comes with the spark plug seals also, at least it was in the set for Camry.

The question to ask is why is it leaking?
Is the PCV bad? needs cleaning or replacement.
I am not sure if Honda have PCV.

Last edited:
Having done a valve adjustment on a K24, it's not hard. Wouldn't hurt to check the valve lash anyway. Only thing that might not be commonly known is the service manual calls for two dabs of RTV at the front of the engine where the "points" on the valve cover meet the block. You'll probably see the old dabs from the factory. Scrape the old stuff of gently, replace the gaskets, put two fresh dabs on, and slip the cover back on. The "doughnuts" around the spark plug wells might catch on the sleeves, so take it easy. Actually, at 110K you're due for spark plugs if you haven't already done them. Good time to do it since the coil packs have to come off anyway.

It could take you as long (or probably longer once you factor in paperwork and phone tag too) to drop it off at a shop, go home, then go back to pick it up when finished, as the time it takes to just DIY At Your Convenience.

Just something to think about... Unless DIY repairs aren't practical or allowed in your location and you are avoiding friends & family located repair sites because of the unspeakable event that we shall not speak of.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for good advice. I'm too senior (can't say that 3 letter word) to do the work.

It actually has 121,000 on it. I guess it is time to change the OEM plugs. It has been primarily my wife's car, gently driven, and computer shows last three fill-ups as 33 and 34 Mpg. She got 44 up and 38 back on a trip to Md last year.

It has been turned over to me since I traded my KIA on her new car (seems I always get the old one's!) and was in process of cleaning it today when I noticed the seepage from the VC.

There are two independent's nearby but I'm not familiar with their work. Will ask around to find out.

PS: Doe it use a belt or chain for timing?

I'd check to see if the valve cover bolts haven't loosen up over time. It's pretty common on Honda and Toyota 4 cylinders that are around 10 years old, they don't need much torque but they shouldn't be loose. The 2.4L uses a timing chain, all the K engines do. The Earth Dreams 2.4L is just a revised and renamed K24.

Just make sure to use the factory parts. I've used Fel-Pro and Beck-Arnley VC gaskets and none of them hold up as well as the OEM Honda one.

Gasket Set, Head Cover - Honda (12030-5A2-A01)

Contains the VC Gasket, Tube seals, and bolt bushings for around $50. And as others have said, its due for a valve adjustment and plugs. All very easy jobs on the I4 engines.

Have you checked the bolts holding it on? They may just need tightening to stop the leak. I would argue a 2013 is way too soon for the gasket to have dried up and cracked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I don't think he is talking about the K24; in 2013 the new Accord used the Earth Dreams engine.

^^This.

The K24 is a piece of cake, but the Earth Dreams I4 is a different animal.

Originally Posted by tc1446
Thanks folks for good advice. I'm too senior (can't say that 3 letter word) to do the work.

It actually has 121,000 on it. I guess it is time to change the OEM plugs. It has been primarily my wife's car, gently driven, and computer shows last three fill-ups as 33 and 34 Mpg. She got 44 up and 38 back on a trip to Md last year.

It has been turned over to me since I traded my KIA on her new car (seems I always get the old one's!) and was in process of cleaning it today when I noticed the seepage from the VC.

There are two independent's nearby but I'm not familiar with their work. Will ask around to find out.

PS: Doe it use a belt or chain for timing?

It's a timing chain engine.

You don't need it to be done at the dealer but I would request that they use Honda OEM gasket, and if desired, tube seals. It will likely last longer than aftermarket and labor, not parts is the higher cost.

Back