Engine Oil cooler effectiveness.

Hey guys. I drive a clunker that's got 263k on it. It runs strong, and lubrication wise, it's got no issues. I recently installed a Derale oil filter reloc. kit, and also plumbed in an aftermarket 7 row plate and fin oil cooler underneath the front bumper. It gets direct moving air exposure, and I made sure to increase the qt. capacity to account for this extra tubing, and cooler volume. I run regular synthetic 5W-30 and change it every 6,000.

How much of a difference to oil thermal breakdown do you guys think that the cooler could make between OCI's? I don't plan on extending the interval, just finding out if this was a worthwhile project that might promote increased longevity of the motor in general.

Unless you are towing in high heat areas up steep hills, you are unlikely to see any value out of your oil cooler. An old engine will contaminate oil faster than it will wear it out, in normal usage.

thumbsup2.gif

Is there a thermal bypass on your cooler? If it delays the oil reaching operating temps significantly, you're probably causing more wear in your engine. If the cooler does not allow the oil temps to exceed 212f at least some of the time, then condensation may build up in the oil, too.

You might think about converting your engine oil cooler into a transmission cooler instead.

Originally Posted by Jarpin
How much of a difference to oil thermal breakdown do you guys think that the cooler could make between OCI's? I don't plan on extending the interval, just finding out if this was a worthwhile project that might promote increased longevity of the motor in general.

Is it worthwhile? Probably not.

If you want anything more than internet conjecture (my own included), you'd need before and after oil temps to see how operating conditions change with and without the cooler and you'd need oil analysis before and after to see how it affected the oil.

Like I said, probably not worthwhile on a car that's gone 263k without one just fine. Being you're in Texas and not someplace that often gets really cold temps, I wouldn't be too worried about not getting the oil up to operating temps.

Whatever happens, it has that much more oil to work across (dilution).

I'd hook up an oil temp gauge next, see what is coming out of the motor--then, because it was me, I'd hook one up on the inlet line too, and see how effective the cooler is.
smile.gif

Texas made me think of my neighbor's Arlington, TX built 2006 Chevy Caprice Classic with a towing package which I sold.

An engine oil cooler was included in the factory setup.

That car was loaded with every option Chevy had (for the Caprice) except for leather.

Even with low mileage (75K) the phone didn't ring.

I guess that's how "roundy and ugly" those cars were. A similar Crown Vic would've sold in a second.

Maybe GM Guy could help … but thought they only had the name on a Holden and US had Impala ?

3DA22B3D-D08F-4A8A-B3F0-167691459C18.png

Those oil filter mount oil to coolant heat exchanges work pretty good. Especially at getting the oil up to temp.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Is there a thermal bypass on your cooler? If it delays the oil reaching operating temps significantly, you're probably causing more wear in your engine. If the cooler does not allow the oil temps to exceed 212f at least some of the time, then condensation may build up in the oil, too.

You might think about converting your engine oil cooler into a transmission cooler instead.

Well, it's only a small 100 ml capacity air to oil cooler. I'm not running anything huge like a boosted car for racing would need. I thought that if I found a way just to reduce oil temps a little bit, then it might be worthwhile in carrying more heat away from the engine, so that other hoses and electrical connectors in the engine bay might not deteriorate and snap so fast.

Back