2019 Subaru Outback Vavoline 5w-30 Synthetic? 5494 miles

According to the report it's up. I'm sorry I can't get to my 17 3.6 Outback report right now. Look up my posts for it. I slowly moved to 10k OCI on mine using M1 EP and a Fram Ultra. Maybe looking at mind will help shed some light on the copper trending.

Did you have any work done? I'm at 75k now and will not do another UOA til arond the 100k mark.

Side note, I assume your 19 has CVT? I plan on a CVT fluid exchange within the month. What do you plan on for CVT maintenance?

No work done to the engine.
Not so sure what the bearings are made of.
Don't plan on doing anything on the CVT tell after
100k miles.

Originally Posted by Ken42

Not so sure what the bearings are made of.

The bearings contain silver. Usually copper spikes in Subaru's are more common on turbo models due to the oil cooler.

Originally Posted by LEADED
New VAL PCMO products show TITANIUM this have none ? . Is this an old formulation

I would think that the old Valvoline formulation (Synpower) would not only show no titanium but, would show some sodium. I really don't think that this is Valvoline synthetic.

All I know is they told me it was Valvoline syn.
The 3.6 has a massive oil cooler I am sure that's the source of the copper.
It was snowing so I could not make it to the dealer or do it my self. Took it to a local garage.
Whatever oil they used it appears to have done its job.

They are a Napa garage so maybe Napa oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ken42
All I know is they told me it was Valvoline syn.
The 3.6 has a massive oil cooler I am sure that's the source of the copper.
It was snowing so I could not make it to the dealer or do it my self. Took it to a local garage.
Whatever oil they used it appears to have done its job.

They are a Napa garage so maybe Napa oil?

I believe you hit the nail on the head there! I see this a good bit in Blackstone reports for the 3.6 motor on the Outback forums and here from time to time (I have a '16 3.6 as well) where copper levels are higher than their averages. Big oil cooler with plenty of copper. I would expect that's where it's coming from as well but perhaps someone can lend more technical know how to this...

Back