Starting to see more made in USA

Got this new AC compressor to go on a Dodge truck. I think this is good. The accumulator I got is from China. Have not seen any of those made in USA yet

IMG_20200506_072148.jpg

Nice, we need more of that! I scoured the internet looking for USA made tools, can't afford them unless someone has budget suggestions.
cheers3.gif
34.gif

Glad to see that. Unfortunately it will take years to get our manufacturing back. We gave so much of it away.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Glad to see that. Unfortunately it will take years to get our manufacturing back. We gave so much of it away.

Had a neighbor, his job was to sell used machines that design and manufacture things that were in the USA to China. He made a boat load of money from 1994-2014. In 2015 he had to find a different job, the vast majority of machines in the USA had been shipped to China. Not really much left for him to sell.

Very scary situation. How could this of had happened. Lots of overnight millionaires and billionaires in the USA over the past two decades because of China manufacturing.... at what long term cost/risk to the USA.....

Last edited:
need everything made in the USA. We can do it i'm sure

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FT92

we need people to buy made in the usa.

when the usa part/tool/etc is 3x the china part..

It is not just China. Back in the late 80's-early 90's, IO visited the US Navy Yard in Norfolk to look at the insulation on an LSD as we made the insulation and they wanted it changed to halogen free after the Brits got into it with Argentina and some electronics on ships went down. Any way, this ship was powered by these huge diesel engines. As I was standing in one of the engine room, I blithely asked who made these...GM, Ford, CAT? The answer...they are made in Austria. I was dumfounded. I then asked how many spares they kept in case of a war. The answer...NONE! We would have to order an engine from Austria. Unbelievable.

Decision was no doubt made simply on a cost basis. How can any country make decisions like this and hope to survive is beyond me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FT92

Then we will need 3X the engineers and 10X the tool and die makers we have now.

And a complete revamp of vocational education.....................

That's just for starters

Oh, and maybe 40 years of time.............

The Chinese were told their entire livesthat Capitalism is about ripping people off. They've started finding that hey we like this afterall. The pay rate in China has gone up 10 times in the last six years. At some point the pay scale will make it cheaper to come back. Parts of India are already seeing this happen. Walmart among other large corporations do listen sometimes. They pledged a billion more dollars to purchase American goods.

Originally Posted by Samrsnow
Nice, we need more of that! I scoured the internet looking for USA made tools, can't afford them unless someone has budget suggestions.
cheers3.gif
34.gif

Proto tools will tell you on their website what is made in the USA. Not sure where the material comes from but most likely the SBD "Global Materials". most likely the cheapest for US built mechanic tools.

Channellock pliers are likely going to be the cheapest US made pliers you will find. not the prettiest like Klein but will save some $$$. The Pliers use 100% USA made steel as well. Acetate Screwdrivers are pretty decent as well. They make the only pair of USA made welding pliers (welpers).

Wright tool will likely be the best bet for a true MADE in America tool set. They are all made in Ohio with steel supplied from 3 mills in Ohio. No blanks or forgings made over seas. Cougar Pro tools are from Taiwan but no Wright branded tools are. Only issue with Wright is they do lack a bit in Metric and specialty tools. SK makes up for what Wright doesn't have but they seem to be the same or a bit more in cost.

Vaughn (they own dasco punches) and Estwing hammers and prybars (estwing prybars come from taiwain) are made in Illinois and use US steel.

Wilde makes a good set of USA made punches in Kansas that are fairly priced.

Stride tool / imperial make a bunch of USA made low cost wire strippers and I think that they make a bit of the automotive tools that SK and few others sell (hose clamp pliers, ect)

Keep in mind that even though the compressor is made in USA it is probably only ASSEMBLED in the USA. I work in the HVAC industry and most of the stuff made here is an assemblage of imported parts.

Where I used to work our Ivy League educated MBA mandated: When we outsource/stop manufacturing a part, BEFORE we even new if the China vendor could make a good part. All the tooling must be disposed of and written off the books. That way there was no going back, and his brilliant executive type decision had to be correct no matter how much it cost. That company is bankrupt and liquidated now. I am sure he is improving some other company now.

Rod

Originally Posted by spasm3
Hopefully, made in usa will mean more than just assembled here. But I'll settle even for that

Hope so too. I worked for a company that took advantage of a loophole to meet a government contract that required "Made in the USA". The product was actually built, assembled, and tested in China, but rendered non-functional by erasing the firmware. Then it shipped here, firmware was reflashed, tested again, and then it magically met the requirement. I know this because I was the unfortunate engineer who had to put in the ability to have the firmware disable itself. My boss and I just had to shake our heads after the bean counters assured us this was all legit. He and I both left not too long after that.

It's time for the government to mandate that all American companies produce their products here in the U.S. Companies aren't going to do this on their own as they are too greedy. We need to ween ourselves off of cheap foreign labor...so what if products cost a bit more being made her, it'll be worth it...

I should have added to my earlier post that when we experience widespread failures in new units it's more often than not due to a defective and/or sub par imported component. Gotta race to the bottom to make sure the bottom line is as good as it can get. I get that, of course.

The Neutron Jack article was interesting. I have seen arguments against bailing out companies that spent their tax windfalls on stock buybacks and executive bonuses. Few, if any, shared any of that extra cash with employees. Why does this country seem to believe in privatized profits and socialized losses? We're just encouraging it by leaving them with the assumption that when times get tough they have a publicly funded safety net.

As having my career ended being outsourced to China & India, I buy US whenever I can. Enough with the industry titans buying back stock to get bigger bonuses and not investing in new products. No bailouts. I know they will only hurt their own remaining employees, but it's gone on too long.

Back