Pickups vs Sedans

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nger-cars-in-u-s-for-the-first-time-ever

Pickup Trucks Outsell Sedans in U.S. for the First Time Ever

... Pickups beat cars by more than 17,000 units in April, according to market researcher Autodata Corp.....It's a remarkable turn of events for an industry that's long been reliant on trucks as cash cows, but never to this degree. Just five years ago, cars outsold pickups by more than half a million units in a single month.

There are a few factors contributing to the development. Detroit's deliveries -- pickups and otherwise -- are concentrated more so in middle America than the coastal states that introduced some of the earliest and most aggressive shutdown orders. Trucks also were bolstered by 0% financing offers, some of which stretched loans out for as long as seven years, Joe Spak, an RBC Capital Markets analyst, wrote in a report.....

Oh yeah, I'm sure current gas prices have nothing to do with it.
smile.gif

Besides, sedans have been selling very poorly in the US in recent years, so it didn't take much to beat their numbers. It's hard to sell sedans if you don't make them in the first place.

Pickups are a trendy choice for many. Can't be seen driving yesterday's choice, otherwise folks will think you aren't smart enough to keep up with current trends.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nger-cars-in-u-s-for-the-first-time-ever

There are a few factors contributing to the development. Detroit's deliveries -- pickups and otherwise -- are concentrated more so in middle America than the coastal states that introduced some of the earliest and most aggressive shutdown orders. Trucks also were bolstered by 0% financing offers, some of which stretched loans out for as long as seven years, Joe Spak, an RBC Capital Markets analyst, wrote in a report.....
[/quote]

Well, guessing I'm not in a coastal state … hurricanes think otherwise. There are folks down here that turned to an LT/SUV for the added ride height following so much high water.
Another thing is the builders have been successful in making the fancy interior icing on the cake for the versatile 4 door units. I know a couple with two kids who only own an LT and a Jeep. Not that uncommon anymore.

If you like trucks more power to you. Me, I'd take a Raptor or an SRT-10, but that's it.

Last edited:
Saw a guy in a Raptor get hang time over raised railroad tracks yesterday …
looked like he'd done that before 🦅

Single cabs going long bed (my 2018 was last year for a shorter bed with GM) and pretty much WT series …
Makes sense considering the current market (or what was such).

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Besides, sedans have been selling very poorly in the US in recent years, so it didn't take much to beat their numbers. It's hard to sell sedans if you don't make them in the first place.

Pretty much. I wouldn't have guessed it 20 years ago, but things certainly changed once they added a second set of doors and shortened the bed. Dunno about others but I've always considered my 4 door truck to be just a modern station wagon. Jack of all trades, master of none.

My current truck has the 6.5 foot bed and is an extended cab. If I was buying today it would be four full doors and either 6.5 or 5.5. I have a 5x8 trailer for yard equipment and a 16 foot trailer for vehicles and farm equipment. I really could get by with a full size suv I'd just have to use the small trailer more often.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Oh yeah, I'm sure current gas prices have nothing to do with it.
smile.gif

Exactly. And these same people will be crying when oil hits $100/bbl again.

I don't think this is significant in the long run, car sales plummeted last month because there hasn't been as much need for people to buy a commuter car, truck sales remained similar because people still need them to do work.

Depends what your needs are.. don't buy a pickup based on current cheaper fuel prices and especially the want to impress or fit in with the pickup crowd.

I find it more cost effective to rent a pickup from uhaul, depot or lowes for a few hours if I need access to one.

Hasn't Ford sold about about 10x more F150's than many of their other vehicles for decades now?

Last edited:
If handling, fuel costs, and ease of city driving aren't a factor for you, then a pickup is pretty good do it all vehicle. Also if you get a lower end model, the depreciation gets pretty low as well. Sedan and coupes are also the least useful body type so its a mystery to me why so many people buy them anyways. IMO wagons would suit most people most of the time but not many are sold in North America so
21.gif

Originally Posted by mightymousetech

Exactly. And these same people will be crying when oil hits $100/bbl again.

By the time it hits $110/bbl, most of these trucks will be well used and on their third owner who picked it up for cheap and doesn't mind the fuel cost.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
If handling, fuel costs, and ease of city driving aren't a factor for you, then a pickup is pretty good do it all vehicle. Also if you get a lower end model, the depreciation gets pretty low as well. Sedan and coupes are also the least useful body type so its a mystery to me why so many people buy them anyways. IMO wagons would suit most people most of the time but not many are sold in North America so
21.gif

The modern styling of wagons has made them basically warmed-over hatchbacks, offering very little additional cargo capacity over a sedan

Queue the you should drive what I think you should drive crowd in 5, 4,...

Truck sales tend to remain higher as people still need them to actually do work... Funny how despite all the railing about personal usage, they still serve a function...

Back