*Noack Volatility - 20 grades

It appears we're at a point where most of the Noack numbers among the top tier oils from most brands are relatively close.
Missing from this list:
Driven 0w20 - 11%
Redline 0w20 - 9%
Redline 5w20 - 8%
Valvoline ME 0w20 - 10%
Valvoline ME 5w20 - 8.5%

I recently found out that there is a rather wide margin of error for Noack, usually +/- 2%.

[Linked Image]

Amsoil does have good Noack and a significant amount of esters. The Noack though is pretty good among most brands these days. They used to be all around 12-13%. Now most are under 10%.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Are these all 5w-20 or 0w-20 or is the chart a blend?

Sorry, those are 5w20's.

The data source in that photo came from Amsoil, but it is correct because it matches most of the data sheets and also a 3rd party (the Spanish youtube video I posted). However, the Amsoil 0w20 tested 9.5% and not 8.5% per Amsoil data sheet. This is due to the poor repeatability of the Noack test.

Driven Noack came from Driven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_gUbx36kQ

This lab showed Amsoil at 9.5%. Amsoil is also using 10-15% ester in their base oil, rumored to be from Croda.

https://www.crodalubricants.com/en-gb/discovery-zone/product-range/ester-base-oils

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Looks like an Amsoil sponsored chart...

It is, but I've found it to be fairly accurate. Companies will usually take the lowest number they get from this test, which does have variability.

*SA of Amsoil is 1.06
SA of Redline is 1.19

There is much debate whether SA is a factor in IVD's as you've seen in other posts. There seems to be a divide in the industry with Lubrizol on one side and some on the others. Most engines today are direct injection, so this is a pretty important issue IMO.

No one is worried about cam lobes wearing out as all oils crush the IVA wear test lol.

Originally Posted by adamsoil
Lol noack the current trend to find the best oil...

LOL there is much more to an oil than any one specification.
cheers3.gif
Being most engines today are GDI, Noack and SA are two highly important numbers to consider

Anyway the point I was making is that they are all very good now.

Originally Posted by buster
Anyway the point I was making is that they are all very good now.

Thank you. A point I've tried to make...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I thought some of the valvoline syn 5w-20 was very low, 5.5-6.5% I thought?

I think the VAS is 7.6% for the 5w20.

5w20 is 7.6 for Advanced. But what I find interesting is when you get into 0w it goes up significantly, 11.1 for 0w20 and 11.4 for 0w16 and 9.3 for 5w30.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

5w20 is 7.6 for Advanced. But what I find interesting is when you get into 0w it goes up significantly, 11.1 for 0w20 and 11.4 for 0w16 and 9.3 for 5w30.

Your 0w20's are always higher. The lowest are Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 which are 9-10%.

Mobil 1 is not in the lower set of NOACK (according to the Amsoil Chart above). Royal Purple, Valoline, and Pennzoil Platinum are. In fact some years back, I switched from Mobil 1 after decades of use to Pennzoil UP because of the superior formulation - lower NOACK, fewer deposits.

Mobil 1 jumped the shark after Exxon bought Mobil and they didn't work hard on lubricants any longer. Esp. after the Castrol lawsuit debacle. I know - I was a Mobil Lubricants Engineer and talked to many other ex-Mobil lubrication folks. Exxon's forte is wholesaling for gross profit. Completely opposite of Mobil's business model. That they were allowed to recombine after being broken up as part of the Standard Oil Trust government action still troubles.

Back