Buffalo Bore Ammo

I use Buffalo Bore in my G20. I've shot it and there is a huge difference in performance (and recoil) between the 10mm Buffalo Bore and watered down loads from other manufacturers.

The 220g hard cast bullets (bear country choice) in 10mm don't lead my barrel. I did upgrade my recoil spring to a stiffer one to improve consistency when shooting full pressure 10mm.

They're super expensive, but you can't find a 10mm load that meets their performance. So, I've got the 180g hollowpoint and the 22g hard cast. I've tested both and they run flawlessly.

I'm a fan of both the 10mm load, and of the way that Buffalo Bore extracts the full potential.

I would shoot at least a couple of magazines of a new load before trusting my life to it. This won't be cheap. When it comes to feeding different ammo shapes, Glocks aren't picky like 1911s. The result of that slightly unsupported chamber, I guess, allowing ammo to feed more easily, so I wouldn't be worried as much about feeding a 45 ACP round, but I would verify before I bet my life on it.

I have a Glock 21 which is 45 acp and have shot nearly every kind of bullet through it. The only bullets it does not like are flat wadcutters and soft lead. Very hard lead has never been a problem.

Years ago, I bought a box of .45-70 from Buffalo Bore for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. It is my go to hunting rifle and the most accurate rifle I own. It will punch three touching holes at 100 yards with standard ammo. The BB stuf was all over a one foot target at 100 yards. Shot all 20 rounds to get rid of it and have some fun and never bought any more. I have taken a black bear, a red stag and a wild boar with this rifle.

Years ago, I bought a box of .45-70 from Buffalo Bore for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. It is my go to hunting rifle and the most accurate rifle I own. It will punch three touching holes at 100 yards with standard ammo. The BB stuf was all over a one foot target at 100 yards. Shot all 20 rounds to get rid of it and have some fun and never bought any more. I have taken a black bear, a red stag and a wild boar with this rifle.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by hatt
The +P .45 doesn't look super hot. Your bank account will suffer more than the gun.

Not really. My son wants to buy it and see how "HOT" it is in my new G21.
35.gif

I know, I stated I was buying it, but he's buying a lot of other ammo as well so we both can shoot it.

It's very "HOT", although not as "HOT" as the Buffalo Bore 45 Super 255 gr...You gonna try that one too?

I wouldn't shoot either unless I'm in bear country.

The Glock will handle .45 Super with a new barrel and recoil spring.

In any event OP isn't going to shoot enough $1+/rd BB to make a difference.

I was under the impression that .45 super, needed a gun that fully supported the case. I think H&K 45 and springfield xd, can out of the box, but double check.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I was under the impression that .45 super, needed a gun that fully supported the case. I think H&K 45 and springfield xd, can out of the box, but double check.

That's where the new barrel comes in.

Not that I'd go through the trouble of setting up a Glock to run .45 Super. If I want to shoot big heavy pieces of lead out of a handgun a revolver is way ahead. 10mm seems to be the cut off point in my opinion. More power than that needs a revolver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Why would it blow up?
Because it's a Glock?
27.gif
28.gif

I have seen this posted before and I have asked the same from Glock support (but related to G17/19/26):

There is not a problem with firing +P or +P+ FACTORY ammo out of a Glock weapon. We DO NOT recommend feeding any of our pistols a steady diet of this type of ammo due to the excessive pressures that CAN cause excessive wear on the weapon.

Additionally; this is posted on the Glock website (https://us.glock.com/en/faqs):

What kind of ammunition should I use in my GLOCK pistol? Can I use +P and +P+ ammunition?

We recommend using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or other industry standards, and while some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ usually does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure than standard ammunition, which could shorten the life of the parts of your firearm.

My interpretation of what they are saying is the gun will wear faster, which eventually could lead to a catastrophic failure if not maintained and parts replaced when wear limits are reached. I do not read that it would "blow up" by shooting +P or +P+ ammunition out of the gate. Fairly certain that police forces have been using +P+ ammunition for decades in Glock pistols.

Cops aren't known for high volume of shooting per pistol. A whole department buys a lot of ammo, each cop usually shoots very little.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
Cops aren't known for high volume of shooting per pistol. A whole department buys a lot of ammo, each cop usually shoots very little.

BSW
Perhaps; but Glock has stated the above for as long I can remember which should be "good enough" for the average gun owner who wants to shoot +P or +P+ ammunition. In the end, things wear out faster using higher pressure ammunition which leads to failures if parts are not replaced timely due to the accelerated wear.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Fairly certain that police forces have been using +P+ ammunition for decades in Glock pistols.

Indeed they have, typically in 9mm in an attempt to wring every last bit out of it. No issues I have ever heard of, although I'm not sure I'd be reloading that brass. The majority of PDs that use 9mm use at least +P. Even my current security agency is using +P in 9mm Glocks.

I was attracted to Buffalo Bore due to they pack heavy bullets at a Hot load but for rifles. I really think there are so many boutique of handgun cartridges out there I just think there would be a lot better choices than Buffalo bore for what it would actually be used for. I wouldn't think you were actually buying .45 ACP with the plan of hunting a large, thick hided animal, more the two legged man which again, so many better handgun loads at attractive prices to choose from.

I've run Speer Gold Dot 200gr. +p through my G21 with no issues. Buffalo Bore and Double Tap tend to run on the hotter side. Might want to call Glock technical dept. and ask, I'm sure they've tried everything on the market and could tell you.

Back