2008 Altima Hybrid 148K, Mobile 1 0W20, UOA advice

Hi all,
New member to this site and hoping to get some advice. Proud owner (since 4.5 yrs ago and 87K miles) of 2008 Nissan Altima hybrid. Have been doing the oil changes regularly (5K) at the dealer but using optional conventional 5W30 oil. Recently, after coming upon few threads about benefits of synthetic for longevity and MPG, had dealer switch to Mobile 1 0W20 weight (recommended default) and just did another oil change myself and sent a WIX to get a UOA done. Results just arrived and I have been reading up on various variables and interpretations. The commends provided look generic (found identical for other miles/cars with Normal rating), so wanted to ask the experts.

I plan on keeping it few more years but need to replace struts (front & rear) and possibly do few maintenance things to keep it running tad longer. Before I throw the cash at it, wanted to see what the results are and if the engine is doing great (no leaks or high oil consumption that I can tell). What concerns me here is the Sodium level (being 45) but I am not sure if that's normal for the miles (148K). Also, any benchmarks for TBN (I assume 3.2) and Viscosity (8.5) after running 7,200 miles (granted its a hybrid and I tend to drive very lightly plus warm-up in the mild winter here in Northern CA, no frosts but does get into 30s in early mornings occasionally). Anyways, I am hoping you all have seen these so many times before and can point out anything that looks out of whack. Thanks and I am all ears!

UOA_08Altima_0W20.jpg

I do not have any comment regarding the used oil analysis.

OP, Years ago all makes of vehicles used Toyota for their hybrid transmission drive-train system. One main reason was that the huge cost of designing their own is so high. Then when the number of sales made it worth while many of them designed their own. I do not know if / when Nissan designed their own hybird transmission / drive-train system, but a 2008 hybrid Altima probably has a Toyota CVT transmission / drive-train, which would be much more reliable than the CVTs made by Nissan back then. It would be interesting to verify for sure that the CVT transmission / drive-train is a Toyota system.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

OP, Years ago all makes of vehicles used Toyota for their hybrid transmission drive-train system. One main reason was that the huge cost of designing their own is so high. Then when the number of sales made it worth while many of them designed their own. I do not know if / when Nissan designed their own hybird transmission / drive-train system, but a 2008 hybrid Altima probably has a Toyota CVT transmission / drive-train, which would be much more reliable than the CVTs made by Nissan back then. It would be interesting to verify for sure that the CVT transmission / drive-train is a Toyota system.

That is indeed accurate. The hybrid system (including battery pack and components under the hood) all have Toyota branding as it was licensed and based on Camry's at the time. I know the engine is indeed Nissan (2.5L) but it is the same version that they have perfected previously. Just hoping the wear & tear is normal inside. The transmission was modified for the hybrid drivetrain and is of e-CVT kind (has minimal components inside, had a dealer do drain & refill as no flush is needed on these) so hopefully not going to have any problems there. I have seen these go upward of 250K miles - used as taxis in NYC. Not going to push my luck, but don't want to junk it just yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA

Only case of one... I know.

I have 305,600 miles on my Nissan Altima VQ 3.5 with the original CVT in it... Still runs very well.

Do you still have the original hybrid batteries. That, not the engine is my greatest fear on my 8 year old hybrid. Estimated cost to replace 5,000, obviously not worth it. I have read where the estimate life of the batteries is about 150,000 or 10 years. You are doing well if on the original.

Originally Posted by Spector
Do you still have the original hybrid batteries. That, not the engine is my greatest fear on my 8 year old hybrid. Estimated cost to replace 5,000, obviously not worth it. I have read where the estimate life of the batteries is about 150,000 or 10 years. You are doing well if on the original.

Yes, still on the original hybrid battery and no issues so far. Initially I was very weary of their longevity and replacement cost, but both ended up being a myth and not a concern. Plenty of Priuses and Camrys easily exceeding the 150K just as engines outlasting their warranties. I have seen replacement (rebuilt, not new) for $700-800 locally and know few guys that open up existing battery pack and replace the dead cells and get you back up and running in no time with minimal out of pocket cost. But thanks for the concern, it is still valid but outside of this discussion.

Any feedback on the actual UOA results? Can the high sodium (45) be from the previously used oil (conventional)? Does my TBN look ok? Can I go more then 7,200 mi between intervals with Mobile 1 (viscosity of 8.5)? Thanks for all responses.

Last edited:
Back