Leaf spring surface rust

Is it bad to spray anti rust like Rust-Oleum on leaf springs to prevent rust?

I've had a very good luck with some WD-40 under running boards, etc. little spray once in a while ... most likely not a good idea to spray the leaf springs with.

Why not Fluid Film or Krown? I'd use something designed for rust resistance... (Probably not a rubberized coating, but an oil-based spray).
Does the vehicle ever see road salt in WA? If not I'd not be awfully concerned, but FF or similar could only help.

I am on the west side and it doesn't get that cold here. some nights they spray salt brine on the roads but 2 days later it's washed off by the rain. the brine is dry shortly after spray (I've touched it while walking the dog) but I'm sure right after a little rain or moisture it can be nasty. I assume in a liquid form, it can go anywhere under the car.
Overall salt is not a major issue on the W. side of the state. E. Side gets pretty cold and lots of ice & snow.

Some folks are gonna get ulcers over this...……………..
crackmeup2.gif

The stuff most locales use here is not salt but some sort of calcium preparation if I recall correctly. You'll see those lines on the road. They are afraid that the salt will wash into the Puget Sound and make it saltier. 🙄

I wouldn't do anything. Surface rust is normal.

Yes, those lines are brine. It's a mixture of rock salt (sodium chroride) and magnesium chloride and/or calcium chloride dissolved in water for spraying ... From what I've read, it's worst than just salt or sand because the liquid coats every nook and cranny under the car. It's a nasty stuff.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Some folks are gonna get ulcers over this...……………..
crackmeup2.gif

for sure ….lol

I tried using FF on my leaves and still lost them. From what I can tell, Tundra uses low quality springs. So as they say... YMMV.

Back when mine went, a few people wondered if something tacky like FF might trap sand between the leaves, where it could be come a lapping compound. Dunno.

Originally Posted by TmanP
Why not Fluid Film or Krown? I'd use something designed for rust resistance... (Probably not a rubberized coating, but an oil-based spray).
Does the vehicle ever see road salt in WA? If not I'd not be awfully concerned, but FF or similar could only help.

+1

Nothing wrong with painting leaves and using FF. I do both and they look like new on an eight year old West Mass truck.

I'd be more concerned about the shackles. Mine get the same treatment as the leaves. I have replaced quite a few on customers trucks.

I also replaced quite a few spring mounts (riveted to the frame) which mostly seemed to happen to Ford Rangers around here. Luckily, my Matco air chisel slices through rivets like a hot knife through butter.

I read the comment regarding sand/dirt between the leaves. My springs have friction pads, but I just ran out to look and apparently I did not spray between the leaves, just the outside. I didn't see any weirdness with sand getting stuck between the leaves if there is any overspray.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The stuff most locales use here is not salt but some sort of calcium preparation if I recall correctly. You'll see those lines on the road. They are afraid that the salt will wash into the Puget Sound and make it saltier. 🙄

They put liquid brine down before the storm and salt/sand mix during or after the storm.

Sometimes the storm never happens but the brine was put down anyway.

At work they have put down a brown liquid that smelled like cow manure. Did not want to slip and fall on some of that stuff.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by PimTac

They put liquid brine down before the storm and salt/sand mix during or after the storm.

Sometimes the storm never happens but the brine was put down anyway.

At work they have put down a brown liquid that smelled like cow manure. Did not want to slip and fall on some of that stuff.

New York is its own country the way they do stuff there.

The brine stuff here works great if put down before it freezes. Timing is the key. Once a heavy snow falls it doesn't matter anyway. The roads are full of wild spinning vehicles with panicky drivers. Even a light dusting starts the chaos.

Unless you're driving around in saltwater most of the winter, they don't need anything done about surface rust. They'll wear out before that's a problem unless you carry extreme loads and then, they'll wear out before that's a problem.
wink.gif

For some reason surface rust bugs me.

I had a hard time taking the skid plate off my very old truck. I hadn't changed the oil for 3+ years due to very low mileage use ... half of the bolts were rusted and one was pretty bad and broke a cheap socket ... lol should have used hex.

I had rust around weld points on my trailer and I sprayed them with matching color Rust-Oleum. It worked pretty good. Maybe they painted before welding and didn't do a touch up.

With the newer truck i am watching it. Maybe I spray it with something you guys have suggested before rust develops ...
Thanks everyone for the info!

Originally Posted by TmanP

I watched a youtube video , of one gut using bar and chain oil to prevent / slow down rust .

I thank God we do not live in the rust / salt belt !

Back