PUP From Napa, different!

Hello,
Yesterday I ordered 1 quart bottle of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 from Napa, today I received it. Point is, it's different from the 5-quart PUP (from Amazon) jug I had used for my previous oil change.

This quart bottle has API SN (not plus), and the label also seem different than what I assume is the current new PUP bottle labels.

Thoughts? I need to top my sump with half a quart!

See pics below

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My guess is your quart is older than your jug. I've personally never seen a jug of Ultra SN Plus, so thank you for that bit of information. I wasn't aware they'd 'upgraded' it.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
My guess is your quart is older than your jug. I've personally never seen a jug of Ultra SN Plus, so thank you for that bit of information. I wasn't aware they'd 'upgraded' it.

All my PUP 5w30 jugs ordered from Amazon were SN plus!
I had ordered like 6 times before

Last edited:
Weird. But I haven't shopped for it there, so..... None of the WalMart jugs I looked at were Plus, which is why I bought PP. Is their website wrong, or am I not interpreting the below correctly?

SNPlusPenz.JPG

I recall the topic here on which place sells the most recent versions of oil (between Amazon and Wal-Mart) and it seems Amazon is the most current based on this! Although never seen PUP on Walmart shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem
I need to top my sump with half a quart!

Isn't your oil level between the two marks on the dipstick? I don't see the point in adding 1/2 quart. Either it is low and you add 1 quart, or it's not low and you don't add any.

As other people have said, my guess is that it's simply an older bottle. For what it's worth the jugs of PUP 5W-30 that I ordered on Amazon a few months ago are API SN Plus certified.

Originally Posted by DGXR

Isn't your oil level between the two marks on the dipstick? I don't see the point in adding 1/2 quart. Either it is low and you add 1 quart, or it's not low and you don't add any.

Half a quart is 12 percent of engine oil, in my case.
I'm not comfortable driving around with 12% oil missing from the engine.

Originally Posted by DGXR

Half a quart is 12 percent of engine oil, in my case.
I'm not comfortable driving around with 12% oil missing from the engine.

The exact level is inconsequential as long as its between the two marks. Most people including myself wouldn't be comfortable driving with the oil right at the minimum mark because if something goes wrong or if the engine burns a little oil it's low, but the engine is just as well protected whether the oil is at the minimum or the maximum mark. The engine won't know the difference unless there is so little oil in the engine that the pickup screen is sucking air or so much that the crank is hitting it and causing it to foam up. Actually there is quite a bit of a safety margin built into the dipstick, the engine isn't going to blow up if you are an ounce below minimum or above maximum. However, that doesn't mean that you should run it low or overfill it.

It can be argued that lower oil level is better because less oil means a faster warmup in cold weather, more oil is better because the temp of a larger volume of oil is more stable, etc and there may be some truth to those arguments, how significant those factors are who knows. Realistically the oil will circulate and lubricate the engine the same way whether the level is at minimum or maximum.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

I agree. Interesting.

Back