water pump leaking, still driveable?

I know they have a wheep hole that allows the coolant to start leaking out letting you know the pump is going out, but does this mean the vehicle shouldn't be driven until a new pump is installed? Mine has gone from no noticeable leak, to a 12" diameter puddle of coolant on the ground that develops about 30 minutes after shutdown. I'm just concerned the pump is going to suddenly fail and the engine is going to pump all its coolant out within 2 minutes going down the road. I went ahead and had a new pump overnighted so my buddy can help me install it tomorrow morning. It's only been leaking a few days I park in the same spot everyday, but it's definitely getting worse. Kind of a bummer I had to spend $45 bucks on shipping to get it here, but I don't want to ruin my engine, this truck is my only vehicle.

The truck is a dodge ram cummins diesel, looks like my profile signature isn't their anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
You caught it just in time.
smile.gif

The weep hole is the early warning, you can keep driving the truck as long as you keep an eye on the coolant level. But with a 12" diameter puddle yours is a little more than a tiny leak, so I wouldn't take it on any trips out of town.

Anti-freeze going thru seal leaking out the weep hole will ruin the bearing. Bearing could lock up if left long enough. Change it as soon as possible, fan going into radiator ain't good.

Now I know why the ac compressor always has had oil on it. I guess they periodically seep a little here and there over the years.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Until the bearing locks up and the fan comes off and goes through the radiator or breaks the timing belt and eats the valves.

I see. My water pump isn't connected to the fan, but it is driven by the belt.

Why would you mail order a water pump for a ISB Cummins? I guarantee Cummins Southern Plains in Houston has a OE pump in stock. Just don't walk in there without the Engine Number!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Why would you mail order a water pump for a ISB Cummins? I guarantee Cummins Southern Plains in Houston has a OE pump in stock. Just don't walk in there without the Engine Number!

Because Houston is big and I'd prefer not to drive 45 minutes each way into Houston with a bad water pump and be on the side of I-10 or I-45.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Because Houston is big and I'd prefer not to drive 45 minutes each way into Houston with a bad water pump and be on the side of I-10 or I-45.

I've been to Houston more than a few times, It's not any larger than the Metroplex (DFW).....I think DFW is the most populated metropolitan area in Texas?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I know they have a wheep hole that allows the coolant to start leaking out letting you know the pump is going out, but does this mean the vehicle shouldn't be driven until a new pump is installed? Mine has gone from no noticeable leak, to a 12" diameter puddle of coolant on the ground that develops about 30 minutes after shutdown. I'm just concerned the pump is going to suddenly fail and the engine is going to pump all its coolant out within 2 minutes going down the road. I went ahead and had a new pump overnighted so my buddy can help me install it tomorrow morning. It's only been leaking a few days I park in the same spot everyday, but it's definitely getting worse. Kind of a bummer I had to spend $45 bucks on shipping to get it here, but I don't want to ruin my engine, this truck is my only vehicle.

The truck is a dodge ram cummins diesel, looks like my profile signature isn't their anymore.

The leak won't get any better with time. What puzzles me is why someone would pay $45 for overnight freight on a water pump when you could have procured one locally which would be equally as good???? Then ask if it is still drivable. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I drove mine like 10k miles after it started leaking. A $28 Gates pump and an afternoon later I was back in business. I stopped driving it and fixed it when I had to add fluid after a single day of work.

12" puddle is pretty big. Imagine how it'd behave if it was under pressure.

Get it fixed.

If you have to drive it, just top it off with water everyday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
Anti-freeze going thru seal leaking out the weep hole will ruin the bearing. Bearing could lock up if left long enough. Change it as soon as possible, fan going into radiator ain't good.

Ruin bearing? Do I misunderstand but isn't that the purpose of the weep hole; to prevent coolant washing out the bearing?

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by oldhp

Ruin bearing? Do I misunderstand but isn't that the purpose of the weep hole; to prevent coolant washing out the bearing?

In a perfect world but the coolant doesn't always flow out neatly like it is supposed to. His biggest threat would be a rapid loss of coolant and overheating, the bearing will go a relatively long time before it finally gives out. The impeller would have to become separated from the shaft for the fan to fly off into the radiator.

Last edited:
Back