Battery tender?

To continue from my other thread: Bought my first bike tonight!

It's got a hard-wired Battery Tender plug on it already, so all I would have to do is get the charger itself. How often should I use it? I'm already in the habit of plugging in the Volt every time I get home, should I just continue that practice? It will be in the garage when I'm not riding it, so no problem with electricity. I really don't know how often I'll be using it, especially for long distances, and I know bike charging systems (especially from the 80's) aren't the strongest. The bike does have a brand new battery and cranks 100% fine as she sits.

Sorry for the beginner question, this is how I get when I get something new and don't know everything about it. I'm grabbing the bike from my buddies place tomorrow, so a true introduction thread will be coming soon. I promise!

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Once a month would probably be sufficient.

That's all, huh? Easy enough.

Since we're on the subject, I had another question: Lithium batteries. I've read relatively little on them, but the benefits seems to be lighter weight and higher power density. Seems like a good deal. The only thing I worry about is the stock charging system having an issue with it. I did read up on stator and... rotor? replacement and it looks super easy. Parts are relatively cheap too, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just go through the whole electrical system purely for the sake of not relying on 40 year old parts when I need them most.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Since we're on the subject, I had another question: Lithium batteries. I've read relatively little on them, but the benefits seems to be lighter weight and higher power density. Seems like a good deal. The only thing I worry about is the stock charging system having an issue with it. I did read up on stator and... rotor? replacement and it looks super easy. Parts are relatively cheap too, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to just go through the whole electrical system purely for the sake of not relying on 40 year old parts when I need them most.

Yep, I put the Battery Tender charger on my bikes only once every 3~4 weeks over the winter months - leave the charger on for 24 hrs and the battery will be back to full charge. Bikes don't have a constant parasitic draw on a battery like cars do (at least my bikes don't).

Originally Posted by 14Accent

My 2001 ZRX 1200 needed a new battery in the fall of 2016, but I stretched it through to the spring of 2017. Bought a lithium ion battery from Amazon for $99. It weighed 1 lb 10 oz compared to the 10 lb 6 oz stock battery. It is now May of 2020 and that battery is still going strong and never seen a charger or tender in its life. It cranks high-compression pistons and 20W50 when I know my garage had been down to freezing or below in the winter and then the sun comes out and I take it for its ride every four to six weeks.

I wouldn't fret the 40 year-old charging system, run it and see what you get. I think the enemy of good is better when it comes to messing with that stuff. If it's working leave it alone. My ZRX 1200 is now 20 years old and my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee is 26 years old. If something breaks replace it, otherwise ride it.
smile.gif

There's no reason NOT to reconnect the tender every time you park it in the garage. Lead acid batteries self discharge slowly, and the bike may have some parasitic draw too. That said, its really just the inconvenience factor. If after a while you find that the battery voltage drops pretty quick, then plug it more regularly. if not, then worry less. My 1981 240d has the draw of a quartz watch. Other cars have more. No idea what a bike may or may not.

But fundamentally, the longer its at 100% soc, the less sulfation could possibly ever occur...

Don't know about "no reason" … after a fire at my former boat storage facility I have chosen to not leave un attended chargers on batteries … Plenty other ways to maintain them.
Perko switch on my boat and charge the (loose) backup 8 to 12 hours once a month for example …

I have a diesel garden tractor that pulls a lot of juice to start. Takes at least 30 seconds to glow and a few seconds of cranking. My tender will blink green when it's 80% or above. Solid red when it's below.

It's always solid red when I plug it in after short use. Good enough reason for me right there. Plus it's nice to know the battery is good after sitting all winter too.

Last edited:
I leave this tender on my truck and travel trailer all winter. I'll check the batteries about every six weeks, they are always fully charged, which means no sulfation. Batteries are so expensive now that I prefer they last as long as possible.

[Linked Image]

You don't need to plug it in at all during the riding season, assuming you fire it up at least once a week or so. For the winter, plug in the tender and forget about it until you take it out in the spring.

I've been using CTEKs, first a MUS 4.3 and now a MXS 5.0. The first one I gave to my father after a few years and now I'm using the MXS. As far as I can tell they both work well for maintaining batteries. Only "downside" is they take a while to charge depending on battery size and current state of charge.

If you need to charge larger batteries (cars/trucks/etc...) quicker, look for a charger capable of 10-20A output (min).

Back