The Drive : MOBIL1 Annual Protection failure ...

And they are not all Walmart varieties … the Formula M is more likely to be at an MB dealership …

I thought that FS, ESP, and M cover the European cars?

Nope. Not 229.5 though Formula M might.

AND if I'm going to buy Formula M at Walmart or Advanced for $10.00/quart I'll get Ravenol for $10.00/liter.

Haven't seen European Car Formula at Walmart for 6 months down here.

MB Oil is rebranded Mobil1 for sure. Available at the dealership for $350.00 per oil change, or on EBay for less.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I thought that FS, ESP, and M cover the European cars?

Nope. Not 229.5 though Formula M might.

AND if I'm going to buy Formula M at Walmart or Advanced for $10.00/quart I'll get Ravenol for $10.00/liter.

Haven't seen European Car Formula at Walmart for 6 months down here.

MB Oil is rebranded Mobil1 for sure. Available at the dealership for $350.00 per oil change, or on EBay for less.

FS is sold in WM and is 229.3 and 229.5. I used it in both my MBs before switching to Castrol Euro in the AMG and Pennzoil Euro in the C300.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40-5-qt/23636902

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-FS-0W40

ESP has the MB diesel approvals and M is 229.3 and 229.5.

This is great! I wrote that article back in the day.

This was a marketing failure. The oil was perfectly fine for the recommended applications. It's just that at the time Mobil 1 seemed to be cannibalizing their other premium oils while simultaneously pricing this one at a ridiculous level. Most folks simply don't go beyond 10,000 miles and without any OEMs vouching for the oil's efficacy, Mobil 1 was on a long road to a dead end.

It will be discontinued as buster pointed out. The article wasn't a knock on Mobil at all. Just the flawed marketing strategy.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by buster
Mobil 1 AP will be discontinued after this year.
Why would they wait?
Based upon the clearances that have happened, it seems that is in process...

I was told they are lowering production of it and not to expect it after this year.

Funny thing is O'reillys NEVER carried M1 AP but they did carry Mobil Super Synthetic which was priced @ AAP/O'Reillys $31.99 for a 5qt jug around $7-10 HIGHER than Walmart M1 prices for the 5qt jugs
crazy.gif

Now waiting for this new brew of Mobil "Test Market product" to fail @ AZ to scoop up at clearance this fall
crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif
I honestly think its re bottled Super synthetic that was sent back from Pep boys/AAP during clearance wave

[Linked Image]

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Funny thing is O'reillys NEVER carried M1 AP but they did carry Mobil Super Synthetic which was priced @ AAP/O'Reillys $31.99 for a 5qt jug around $7-10 HIGHER than Walmart M1 prices for the 5qt jugs
crazy.gif

Now waiting for this new brew of Mobil "Test Market product" to fail @ AZ to scoop up at clearance this fall
crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif
I honestly think its re bottled Super synthetic that was sent back from Pep boys/AAP during clearance wave

[Linked Image]

Dave

That's why I don't shop at O'Reallys anymore!

It's beyond me why O-Reilly & Auto Zone sell oil. My only conclusion is that they sell oil to the folks with too much money to be bothered to cross-shop.

Looking forward to stumbling across a shelf full of AP on clearance. I never get that lucky, but I will just have to try harder.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by GMguy84
crazy.gif

crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

[Linked Image]

Dave

That's why I don't shop at O'Reallys anymore!

Ya I only go to one if the manager is cool and cuts me deals on parts or price matches with Amazon/rockauto/walmart with no BS

Or if I STRIKE "TEXAS CLEARANCE GOLD" one of the STM and DM matches AAP clearance on Mobil Super syn and I get the 5qt jugs of Mobil Super syn for $3.50 each at several different stores
crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
13.gif

But other than those reason. I don't pay much attention to O'Reilly's
wink.gif

Dave

Last edited:
I was told they are lowering production of it and not to expect it after this year.

Seems they could just bottle any bulk left into EP packages.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Seems they could just bottle any bulk left into EP packages.

Agreed, why give it away? Just bottle it as EP since it bests the specs of EP anyway. Less of a financial loss than to continue to bottle it as AP only to fire sale it, sorry Dave
grin2.gif

Whimsey

*Mobil 1 Extended Performance will be upgraded for 20,000 once the new bottle and GF-6 spec hit the market.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
It's beyond me why O-Reilly & Auto Zone sell oil. My only conclusion is that they sell oil to the folks with too much money to be bothered to cross-shop.

Looking forward to stumbling across a shelf full of AP on clearance. I never get that lucky, but I will just have to try harder.

People come in, ask a hundred questions about the oil, ask us to look up which oil their car takes, want help adding it to their car, etc. Maybe they'll buy a funnel for $1. Or if they are buying a big jug they'll ask us to look up an oil filter or something.

Vs at Walmart there is absolutely no help. You get whatever oil you want, if you want a filter, you look it up yourself. All they do is ring you up. They don't answer questions about oil. They don't help you put it in your car. And since you're already at Walmart you might buy some milk and pasta and maybe a couple candles and oh hey I need some socks. And while standing in line you buy a soda for $2 from the cooler that's $1.75 of profit for them. Now your $20 jug of m1 turned into a $50 sale.

That's why your local auto parts store charges more than Walmart for motor oil.

Last edited:
Back