Toyota Tacoma losing resale value

This is not related to the virus, but the used market for Toyota Tacomas in general. Used inventory has always been scarce and they have always held their value well, but they sold nearly 2x more Tacomas in 2018 then they sold in 2014(155k vs 245k). More people are owning these short term.

Will this eventually lead to too much supply and too little demand in the used market?

used retail value is marginally different from new MSRP(2015 2nd gen SR5s listed for 25k vs 29k new). I'm starting to see the 3rd gen trucks with similar mileage sell for the same price yet they're 2-3 years newer. It made little sense to buy used a few years ago but these days the gap is starting to get bigger.

Is this a sign that it's starting to happen? Or has it already started and waiting on lease returns/trade ins.

Im not sure that the scarce used inventory has as much to do with them holding the value as does reliability.

Originally Posted by avacado11
This is not related to the virus, but the used market for Toyota Tacomas in general. Used inventory has always been scarce and they have always held their value well, but they sold nearly 2x more Tacomas in 2018 then they sold in 2014(155k vs 245k). More people are owning these short term.

Will this eventually lead to too much supply and too little demand in the used market?

used retail value is marginally different from new MSRP(2015 2nd gen SR5s listed for 25k vs 29k new). I'm starting to see the 3rd gen trucks with similar mileage sell for the same price yet they're 2-3 years newer. It made little sense to buy used a few years ago but these days the gap is starting to get bigger.

Is this a sign that it's starting to happen? Or has it already started and waiting on lease returns/trade ins.

One other factor I would add to the equation is that they didn't do a good job redesigning the 3rd Gen. Historically Toyota isn't very aggressive when it comes to redesigns but they should have stuck with the 4.0 motor. It worked and worked well for the average consumer. The technology is nice but overall I do not see myself buying another Tacoma.

It has become a super popular truck and because of that I believe many people buying it don't really understand what they are buying. A body on frame vehicle that will never be as comfortable as a domestic pickup. With that said have always preferred Toyota's and I know their shortcomings. Lower MPGs to its competition, less bells and whistles, and stiffer suspensions. Ultimately I went with the statistics...which manufacturer has left me standing on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck the LEAST in my 30 years of driving...Toyota. Hence why I have a Tundra this time around. If the 3rd gen had a different engine I would have give it serious consideration.

Admittedly a sample of one, but a home inspector driving his 2018 Tacoma told me it had not been a good ownership experience. It had left him stranded with a no start half way through a 300 mile trip.when almost new, and other various issues.
Again, sample of one.

Originally Posted by Oey12
Originally Posted by avacado11

One other factor I would add to the equation is that they didn't do a good job redesigning the 3rd Gen. Historically Toyota isn't very aggressive when it comes to redesigns but they should have stuck with the 4.0 motor. It worked and worked well for the average consumer. The technology is nice but overall I do not see myself buying another Tacoma.

It has become a super popular truck and because of that I believe many people buying it don't really understand what they are buying. A body on frame vehicle that will never be as comfortable as a domestic pickup. With that said have always preferred Toyota's and I know their shortcomings. Lower MPGs to its competition, less bells and whistles, and stiffer suspensions. Ultimately I went with the statistics...which manufacturer has left me standing on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck the LEAST in my 30 years of driving...Toyota. Hence why I have a Tundra this time around. If the 3rd gen had a different engine I would have give it serious consideration.

When my pickup had a major issue, it let me limp home. No waiting for a tow truck. I waited at the dealership instead. But they have free coffee and free WIFI.

If they're losing resale value, it could be the engine and/or trans programming, IMO. I test drove one with the 3.5 when they first came out. I was not impressed. It had a power curve which was high-RPM biased, and a transmission which tried to keep the RPM as low as possible. This was a 6-speed automatic, I've never had the chance to drive the 6-speed manual behind the 3.5. If they haven't improved the low-end power, or the shifting algorithm, I can imagine owners becoming frustrated with the truck.

being overpriced to begin with + not really that great it makes sence

Our 2020 6 Speed Manual has been great in terms of engine/transmission so far. Hoping the Access Cab/6M/4x4 combo holds value for the enthusiasts down the line.

With GM and Ford getting back into the small(er) truck market, I wonder if the typical buyer is catching on that there is no need to pay the Toyota tax. Plus increasing supply, and finally I wonder if it's in part related to the ease one can get new car financing vs used car loans.

The market doesn't always make sense but it does seem to average out over time.

In my opinion the third gen Tacoma ruins the great reputation they had. The first and second gen were great honest little trucks. I bought a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad and owned it for only a year. The combination of the 6 speed and the 3.5L makes for a miserable experience. As others have mentioned, it makes all of it's power at high RPMs but lugs around town with the RPMs as low as possible. The second you hit the slightest incline it drops two gears and revs to the moon. It was the most annoying car I've ever owned, but it's my fault for not taking it on a thorough enough test drive.

Really glad I got a 2015 based on how the 3rd gen turned out.

But yesterday I saw a new Ranger that had been lifted and kitted out and it's a serious challenger to the Tacoma, especially with an EcoBoost.

Hrm, cannot find a good torque curve on the web, but found this and this. Both curves look somewhat flat, although one looks like it takes a dip in the 3k range. But both then take off after that. I wonder if that is the problem--it's putting down decent torque (assuming it's not programming limiting throttle) but because it then goes on to pull hardER at higher rpm, that it feels by comparison doggy down lower.

Note: neither is the exact right engine, so the curves should be taken with a grain of salt--if you have a better curve for the 2GR-FKS, then feel free to correct me!
Note: 300Nm is 221ft-lb, 320Nm is 236ft-lb, 350Nm is 258ft-lb
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, link shows a 1GR-FE.
[Linked Image]

Edit: I think if you look, the older motor has a rising torque curve, where as the newer motor is flat (if not falling!) at lower RPM--but I think the newer motor might actually have more torque under the curve. But it likely "feels" worse, because, relatively speaking, that torque curve fails to rise and create a sense of increasing acceleration (instead of fixed acceleration, which you'd get for a constant force). Furthermore, I'm not sure but rule of thumb is, newer models put on more weight, which tends to impede any power gains.

Last edited:
It's a weird market for these trucks, that's for sure. I typically see 2014-2015 second gens with more miles selling for more than 2017-2018 used ones. Typical price for say a 2015 TRD OR with 50K miles will list for 30K while you can buy a new 2020 TRD OR for 33K right now (all 4wd). Totally bonkers! If you live in an area that uses salt I wouldn't touch a second gen that hasn't already had its frame replaced. I'm still kicking myself in the butt on that one...

I don't get the 4.0 vs 3.5 debate. IMO the 4.0 is a dog unless you rev the snot out of it. It idles like crap, sounds like a tractor, and returns somewhat poor fuel economy. The 3.5 in a 2019 I test drove was similar, but did have a smoother power band. This is all my opinion.

That said I'm going to check out a couple new 2020's tomorrow while my truck is getting a trans service and frame inspection. They've already expressed their interested in my 09 and if they're willing to take it and my GTI for a decent price I might bring home a new one. I still feel the Tacoma is the better of the midsized options, I've looked at all of them and keep coming back to the Taco. This again, in my opinion.

Toyota quality seems to have dropped a bit and they sure are ugly. I have owned 4 Toyota Pick ups and have enjoyed them, some were trouble free and some were not so trouble free.

I'll stick with my '01 v6 auto. Great drive rain, as long as you're not in a hurry lol. But reliable, smooth shifting combo. I believe the fuel economy mandates are what are ruining today's vehicles. Rented a 2020 Corolla in Colorado-never could figure out what the transmission was trying to accomplish. Shifted down 2 gears going DOWN a slight grade at 70 mph..?? Not a mountain lol.

Used value is a double edged sword. Sure they hold their value, but then again they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

For a few k more, I'd rather buy new. Maybe the used value decline will be on the more realistic side of things.

Last edited:
I only have experience with two Tacomas, and they were not that good. Both from close friends, who I did many of the repairs/maintenance for them. One is already on it's third frame (2010), the other was a 2008 that my buddy just sold. He bought it used, but over the course of 60,000 miles it had numerous wheel bearings fail, calipers seize up, driveshaft issues, the A/C compressor failed, and at 100k miles the frame was starting to look a bit rough. He sold it to a guy a few states over (I went with him to meet up with the guy who bought it) and the buyer said he drove a newer one and didn't like the 3.5L and the transmission programming so he was buying a used 4.0 V6 over new.

Again this is only experience with 2 vehicles out of however many are out there, but can't say I was impressed for the price tag they carry and the 1990s technology/interior. It was relatively easy to service though.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I only have experience with two Tacomas, and they were not that good. Both from close friends, who I did many of the repairs/maintenance for them. One is already on it's third frame (2010), the other was a 2008 that my buddy just sold. He bought it used, but over the course of 60,000 miles it had numerous wheel bearings fail, calipers seize up, driveshaft issues, the A/C compressor failed, and at 100k miles the frame was starting to look a bit rough. He sold it to a guy a few states over (I went with him to meet up with the guy who bought it) and the buyer said he drove a newer one and didn't like the 3.5L and the transmission programming so he was buying a used 4.0 V6 over new.

Again this is only experience with 2 vehicles out of however many are out there, but can't say I was impressed for the price tag they carry and the 1990s technology/interior. It was relatively easy to service though.

I go back and forth on downsizing my truck to a Taco, but they just don't seem to have a great track record. The basest of models maybe. Maybe they're just cheap and easy to keep going?

If only my garage was a foot bigger in every dimension...

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Interesting on the driveshafts … we use the Hilux overseas and go through driveshafts like Kcups …
The F250 PSD's work the same roads no issues …

Back