Optima Digital 400 - the Best Car Battery Charger under $100?

I have been trying to suggest people get some car battery chargers for the cars currently sitting for weeks and weeks.

I made a quick video showcasing what I believe to be the best car battery charger under $100, Optima's Digital 400. What you get and how it works. I've been using one in some way since 2016.

If you have any questions about it or car batteries in general, drop them below.

All that's missing is the live link to a totally unaffiliated seller.

If you expect your car to be sitting for several weeks, all you really have to do is go out and disconnect the battery and it will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spavel6
OP - One post, and such bold claims? I think this will be an interesting thread...

I get it. You think it is an ad. I don't blame you.

Originally Posted by mk378
If you expect your car to be sitting for several weeks, all you really have to do is go out and disconnect the battery and it will be fine.

That is problematic on many modern cars as it causes you to lose all kinds of settings.

Like I told the other poster - I get it. This being a forum, probably flooded by tons of people pedaling crap.

"This is the best XYZ, I promise it isn't mine, but if you did happen to want to pick one up. Here is a link (direct link to their store or redirect so they get some $$$)......right?

Too many problems with the product and the brand. Even Amazon shills cannot overcome this:

100% do not buy!

The rep was very nice and told me that if I didnt buy directly ...

WARRANTY LITERALLY WORTHLESS WORDS

Optimistic at first, then the problems began

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Y_K
Too many problems with the product and the brand. Even Amazon shills cannot overcome this

What are the problems you see w/ Optima?

And please don't throw around labels you cannot prove. Like I said, I get why you think because 100x in front of me tried to pedal some crap, but I am not selling you the charger.

Originally Posted by Fringe
And please don't throw around labels you cannot prove. Like I said, I get why you think because 100x in front of me tried to pedal some crap, but I am not selling you the charger.

No, but you're selling the video by click throughs, correct?

Originally Posted by kschachn

No, but you're selling the video by click throughs, correct?

Raking in them pennies.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Aren't vendors required to get approval before making commercial postings here?

For the love of......

Welcome!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Aren't vendors required to get approval before making commercial postings here?

For the love of......

Money?

I think the BatteryMinder chargers are some of the best out there. No cheap. I have several. Not one has had an issue. The only battery issue I have had is my dog chewing the top of the case. I cannot attribute that to the charger.

For me it must have high and low temp compensation.

Like I told the other poster - I get it. This being a forum, probably flooded by tons of people pedaling crap.

"This is the best XYZ, I promise it isn't mine, but if you did happen to want to pick one up. Here is a link (direct link to their store or redirect so they get some $$$)......right?

Wrong.

I have been trying to suggest people get some car battery chargers for the cars currently sitting for weeks and weeks.

I don't have this charger, so I can't make a fair statement on whether it is worth $100 for what it can do, but it is completely unnecessary to spend that kind of money just to keep your battery topped off, no matter how long. Anything decent quality that limits maintenance charge current to 100mA (or ideally closer to 75mA) should do fine for an otherwise healthy battery and vehicle electrical system.

You can build that out of $5 worth of spare parts. Consult battery manufacturer datasheets to see if they require marketing buzzword features to keep their battery topped off.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
I think the BatteryMinder chargers are some of the best out there. No cheap. I have several. Not one has had an issue. The only battery issue I have had is my dog chewing the top of the case. I cannot attribute that to the charger.

For me it must have high and low temp compensation.

Back in 2016-17 I used to live with the in laws, my car was subject to the elements and hooked on the Digital 400 charger often in 10-20 degrees. It has a temp control.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

Wrong.

Why was I wrong? I didn't include my affiliate link? lol

Ill spend 10 dollars more and get an optimate 6 every time, Id ever prefer an optimate 5 over this.

Optimate 6 wins on

recovery voltage .5 vs 1.25

battery range 3-240 vs Low end not listed upper end 130AH

range of charge amperage .4-5 Amps vs 3-4 Amps

UD

Back