Classic movies

Do young generations watch some of the classic movies?

Casa Blanca
Africa Queen
Guns of Navarone
Great Escape
Goldfinger
Jaws
All Quiet on the Western Front
Soylent Green
Dirty Dozen
2001 Space Odyssey
Grease
Dirty Dancing
Gone With the Wind

Last edited:
Im one of the older millennials and not a lot into movies, I've heard about all those movies but only watched Goldfinger and Dirty Dancing. I used to watch James Bond movie marathon on spike TV years back.

Originally Posted by Donald
Do young generations watch some of the classic movies?

Casa Blanca
Africa Queen
Guns of Navarone
Great Escape
Goldfinger
Jaws
All Quiet on the Western Front
Soylent Green
Dirty Dozen
2001 Space Odyssey
Grease
Dirty Dancing
Of those, I've only seen Casablanca, Jaws, Soylent Green, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Grease.

I doubt, as a Boomer, I'd be considered to be of a "young generation", but will throw in my $0.02 anyway. Casablanca has aged remarkably well. I watch it every five or 10 years, after finally seeing it in the mid-'80s, and still love it.

I rented Jaws for the boys a few years ago. The great shark, so impressive on the big screen in 1975, looked pretty hokey 25 or 30 years later.

Saw 2001 in the theatre in 1970. Thought the visuals were stunning, especially the earth orbit rendezvous with the Pan Am clipper and the space station, and liked it a lot in spite of the incomprehensible last quarter or third of the movie. Again, rented it 15 or 20 years ago, and tried to defend it while my boys laughed.

I should check out Soylent Green again - I remember the shocking premise of course. I think I also read the SF short story it's based on, back in the day.

I'll nominate another couple of classics: Shane, and Pride of the Yankees.

I've seen probably a quarter of those. Its very refreshing to watch older movies because there is some actual decent dialogue. I'm an older millenial too and I find newer "oscar" candidate movies not good at all. This includes highly critic rated films. The film maker will either try too hard in some respect or have some political agenda. Other than that everything else is a remake.

My favorites are the old film de noire detective stories, either Hitchcock or Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlow/Sam Spade. The Big Sleep, Maltese Falcon, Man Who Knew Too Much...

When I work too much and my brain is fried, I then delve into James Bond. Netflix has some, what I can't get there I find on Youtube.

Well, I'm going to add Topgun, Iron Eagle, Anything Clint Eastwood, with a few exceptions. Dirty Harry and his westerns are classics in my book.

Harvey is a great classic movie. Jimmy Stewart's character just comes across as a person you would want to sit and chat with all day, and of course you would have to have a drink with him.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
How old does a movie have to be for it to be considered a classic?

Good questions. Some I listed were older than others and some were just popular when they came out. The question I was getting at was are people going back and looking at movies that may have come out before they were born.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Duel!

Good movie! That was made before my time. Many people don't know the movie was actually made for TV, "ABC Movie of the Week".

Back