Used Vehicles Prices up or Down?

It seems to be a 50/50 split if used prices are going up or down. I'm not sure if I want to buy used now or wait a few months.

Right now, there's a few 2019 Frontiers with under 30K miles available locally. Only one winter so not much rust. Factory tow package , which I need. Color choices really don't bother me too much.

I'm fearing my truck is really nearing the end of its useful life. So I'd like to replace it before summer towing season and I have a trip coming up in 4 weeks towing my Jeep around. The Frontier should handle towing my Jeep just fine.

I don't want to buy now and have the bottom fall out of the used market. However, I am worried if i wait, the low mileage 2019s will dry up or prices will go through the roof.

What are your thoughts here on BITOG.

I'd think that the 2019s would avoid a hike in price, as a completely redesigned Frontier is coming next year. That usually keeps the value of the previous design down. Just my opinion, though.

I think it's too early to shop for deals. It'll take a while for people to realize there is less money available to buy used cars.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I'd think that the 2019s would avoid a hike in price, as a completely redesigned Frontier is coming next year. That usually keeps the value of the previous design down. Just my opinion, though.

Normally you would be correct. The recent Ford Explorer redesign has been the opposite. The 17-19's are now selling like crazy in my area and no one wants the 2020. I haven't really checked pricing trends but with all the 17-19's moving off the lot I'd say pricing on those has increased accordingly.

Search for a guy named Steve Lang. He can talk to you about the wholesale side and what pricing is doing and maybe even get you a deal on a southern truck shipped up to you. He is also a member here just don't know what his name is.

edit - he just posted a youtube video on current market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kkjMhZjtSk

Last edited:
You're going to tow the XJ on a trailer with a Frontier? Doable but might not be fun for any distance. I did a bunch of research when thinking about a Frontier a year ago and it sounded like towing over 4-4.5k works it pretty good. Bought the Titan S 4x4 instead for the price of a Frontier Pro-4X and don't regret it.

I would wait rental car companies are in big trouble nearing bankruptcy very possible for some. No leisure travel no business travel car rental companies are going to be dumping inventory into the used car market plus repossessions and lease returns. With that happening all used car values will go down. Sit tight if you can if not make low but reasonable offers see if they bite. You're in a good position if you want to buy used don't let any salesperson tell you different.

I've been in the market for a newer truck for several months now.

Right now, it seems like that the fresh, used inventory that has been added recently (the past 2-3 weeks) has been lower priced, compared to the inventory that was added earlier in the year... and even late last year.

However...some of these dealers still haven't noticed that there is a pandemic going on. I had a dealer offer me a weekend test drive on a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT that they've had on the lot for 15 months.... but haven't budged any on the pricing since last fall. I politely declined. The salesman told me that they would entertain reasonable offers. I told him that his manager needed to make the first move as far as pricing, because it is way overpriced and has a bad case of lot rot, from sitting around for 15 months. I haven't heard back from anyone. No loss.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You're going to tow the XJ on a trailer with a Frontier? Doable but might not be fun for any distance. I did a bunch of research when thinking about a Frontier a year ago and it sounded like towing over 4-4.5k works it pretty good. Bought the Titan S 4x4 instead for the price of a Frontier Pro-4X and don't regret it.

I have some weird requirements. I need 4 doors with roll down windows. The only 1/2 tons that do that without a full crew cab are Ram and GM and even with the smaller bed, they end up slightly longer than my F-350 single cab/long bed. That barely fits in my driveway and i have to have it sitting an inch away from the front of the house. I'm limited to crew cab midsize trucks unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I think it's too early to shop for deals. It'll take a while for people to realize there is less money available to buy used cars.

Odd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...e-rising-during-the-pandemic-11588671002

Used cars get more expensive in hard times and new cars cheaper

Only way to buck that is if a huge glut of used hits the market

The cars I watch cost more today than 6 months ago

Last edited:
Pretty sure both Tundras (Double Cab and CrewMax) have 4 doors and the windows roll down in the back doors.

Originally Posted by Miller88

I have some weird requirements. I need 4 doors with roll down windows. The only 1/2 tons that do that without a full crew cab are Ram and GM and even with the smaller bed, they end up slightly longer than my F-350 single cab/long bed. That barely fits in my driveway and i have to have it sitting an inch away from the front of the house. I'm limited to crew cab midsize trucks unfortunately.

Last edited:
Depends on what your shopping for. Things like midsize sedans are going in the toilet price wise. If you want a desirable enthusiast or luxury car you may only see a slight discount. If your shopping for anything the big rental companies sell theres great discounts.

I wonder if you should tackle this problem from two paths: the first you're already doing, looking to see if waiting will save you more money. The second, define the budget, needs and wants. The latter won't change regardless of what the market is doing.

Sometimes you just have to accept that, the moment after signing the deal, something better might come along. But can you be sad if you met all your goals? [Is it even reasonable to go forth with the expectation that there is no possibly better deal out there to be had?]

I was offered a new 2019 4x4 Frontier at $28k in November, so I hope you're getting a really good deal on a used on right now..

Also, most industry insiders believe used prices will crater around June-July at 20% lower than "normal". So if you can afford to wait, I would.

Originally Posted by spavel6
I was offered a new 2019 4x4 Frontier at $28k in November, so I hope you're getting a really good deal on a used on right now..

Also, most industry insiders believe used prices will crater around June-July at 20% lower than "normal". So if you can afford to wait, I would.

I've been contacting the local nissan dealerships. They're heavily discounting the 2019s from what I can tell online, but the nissan dealers want nothing to do with me apparently. I can see two in inventory locally that are the exact truck I want. One dealer doesn't respond, and the other just keeps giving me a generic response.

I was shopping for a used car this past weekend. I've stumbled on 2017 Accord EX model with 11K miles on the odometer. I'd say almost in pristine condition. The car has been sitting on the dealership lot more than 40 days. Originally the car was priced higher but over the period of time they reduced it to $17,500
We have tried to negotiate over 2 days offering up to $17.5 OTD but they budge on pricing little if anything. They quote me $19K OTD that was still overpriced in my book...

Soon after I got a text from salesman, within a couple of days stating that car has been sold for their asking price

So yes like someone has mentioned before wait till Jun or even better July for the better prices

Private sale or dealer lot?

Private Sale: My guess is that cars will more than likely become de-listed rather than price drops. I had my 435i listed for sale for a year. The ad expires today and I couldn't care less. IMO buyers were looking for distressed sellers.

Dealer lots: Look for serious price drops as the cost of carrying inventory continues to rise.

Haven't noticed prices dropping on used cars much...maybe a $1,000 here or there, but no real bargains. But the inventory doesn't seem to be moving either. I've had my eye on a low mile SUV...price took four weeks to drop $1,000...and the vehicle still sits. When prices really start to drop, I think some of this inventory will start to move.

It seems like everyone is still in the mode of trying to maximize their profits. Someone will have to start the ball rolling.

Back