Hazardous duty pay: Anybody else getting it

My brother works for a lumberyard and claims they are paying $100.00 per hour to stock empty shelves. I think he was in the Kool aid when he told me that story.
cheers3.gif
Then he said they were paying double time and a half to some of the other employees so don't believe some of those stories out there!

My daughter was getting it at Starbucks. An extra $3/hour, so about a 20-25% raise, IIRC.

She just took two weeks off after working through the beginning of it. She had finals (ASU online through Starbucks) and was moving to a new apartment.)

So she banked money for 5-6 weeks at the higher rate and then took her vacation and sick leave (they were allowed to do that) to make her move and finish the semester.

I think she'll go back to work after Mother's Day per her plan.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I get a premium of 10% for those days I need to report to the office. Not much, but at least a little something.
How about everybody else?

I did not
I'm essential, but not medical
But I'm not going to complain, because we all got sent home to "standby"
Checking in on the phone start/end of shift
I've got my uniform/work boots ready, just sitting there waiting...
Pretty much converted to on call, they sent us all the Tier 1 letter if we get stopped while out and about

I'm not complaining, I feel for those who are still waiting for there UI/Pandemic benefit
My sister works part time @ Target, she's seeing slightly more hours and an extra $2 an hour
Overdue IMO
frown.gif

Right out of high school and going to the big boy school I worked at Safeway stores,I caught every year while working there then drove truck for years through the ice and snow and then at the fork life dealership and I did my job . The hazardous duty pay seems foolish. Other than the pay for some could be higher.

Originally Posted by wag123
Some of our health care workers in rural areas are only making a fraction of what they would normally make as well as working significantly more hours. How disgusting is that! If anyone deserves to get hazardous duty pay it is them.
I should have added that the reason some health care workers are having to put in significantly more hours is because some of their coworkers have been furloughed to save money, in addition to having a higher workload then normal to deal with. I recognize that some of the rural health care facilities are in a desperate financial situation. There are many small town hospitals that are in grave danger of going under. If this happens to any appreciable extent, large geographical areas of this country will be left without any emergency health care facilities within a reasonable distance. Something MUST be done to help them and their employees.

They didn't give us hazard pay per say, but a $2 extra per hour "enhancement." Wasn't a whole lot to us as it was basically a 5% percent raise for most of us in our department, but hey any extra counts. They only did it for the month of May even though we're busier than peak season at the moment...

Not me nor my wife who's a nurse, we'd be one of the last people to receive the stimulus checks, i was reading maybe by the end of august. You hear stories out there about people taking advantage of the unemployment benefits big time. I'm not really complaining, we have enough to get by, all i ask for is good health but that's just the kind of world we live in.

I'm an independent contractor in the transportation industry. Since this thing started I have been mostly transporting hospital beds, bleach, hand sanitizer and cleaners. Extra pay? Forget about it. On the contrary, the rates on the non essential stuff went down a lot, so I sit a lot without work. Some of the stuff goes for such a low price that I would barely break even if I did do it.

Originally Posted by FlyingVan
I'm an independent contractor in the transportation industry. Since this thing started I have been mostly transporting hospital beds, bleach, hand sanitizer and cleaners. Extra pay? Forget about it. On the contrary, the rates on the non essential stuff went down a lot, so I sit a lot without work. Some of the stuff goes for such a low price that I would barely break even if I did do it.

Yep. That's what a lot of OTR drivers are saying.

Some rates are under $1 a mile. ...ž

Nope, no hazard pay. They cut all 401K contributions and forced us to use 2 personal days a week at home. And they're telling us to be lucky we have jobs. This is at an engineering firm. This week it is mandatory to wear a mask all day at work.

Wife gets absolutely nothing at hospital to be exposed 3 times over to Covid positive people unknown at time. She isn't busy at work given focus of COVID.

However she takes full advantage of healthcare worker freebies:
* free summer camp $150 at dance
* Tiguan ended up with $80 oil change free and car cleaned
-* Bunch of coffee daily Starbucks and other food places her work ID gets it
* some large discount on full price stuff like 40-50% of retail brands

Originally Posted by madRiver
Wife gets absolutely nothing at hospital to be exposed 3 times over to Covid positive people unknown at time. She isn't busy at work given focus of COVID.

In that case you should look through this list of discounts for first responders. I think one of the best is the North Face one which is 50% off, normally the most you get is 40% on a clearance.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14007773-list-of-special-discounts-for-first-responders

Originally Posted by madRiver

I think so far the only thing I did was sign up with Vortex to get 40% off, then I realized that was off their MSRP's which are 40-50% above street price ANYWAYS from reputable dealers.

Ultimately, I got a pack of supplements for free, and the radio knobs of my car wiped off with alcohol by the local dealership for free. They detail my vehicle for free as standard service anyways.

I don't buy starbucks/mcdonalds/any of that stuff. My Dad is going to get $10-20 off on his cell plan from me though, as he owns a company and he stuck me on there, and now I'm b ringing the rate down due to Verizon's incentives.

In short, it comes out to a few cents an hour, maybe, lol!

The county voted to give us $250 a month as long as Georgia is a declared state of emergency. Also 25 PTO hours added to our banks. It doesn't apply to the whole force though, just those are in regular contact with the public and inmates.

County north of us sort of did their detention officers dirty. They voted to give uniform patrol deputies $250 and their detention officers $150. Pretty big slap in the face to them in my opinion.

Wife works in the medical field for private practice and she's getting some extra pay for working. Then again she's very lucky & blessed, as the doctor takes care of his employees very well to begin with, (profit sharing, Christmas bonuses, etc.) They did have some staffing reductions due to this but he retained senior staff to remain open for emergency care.

Last edited:
Im working 1/2 to 2/3rds the amount of hours but still getting paid for the full amount hours AND a 20% pay increase for the full amount of hours on top of it.

Back