Clogged zerk remedy?

What's everyone's fixes for these?

I also have a LockNLube coupler. Works great and arguably helps, but if it's really clogged, it won't do a thing besides fill the gun hose with grease and spew out when you remove the coupler. Lol.

Some people say to apply heat. The area is painted so I'd rather not unless a heat gun would work.

I clean the zerk fittings before and after greasing them, then cap them with the rubber caps used to seal vacuum lines. The king pins and drag link on my 88 Ford are OE, with the original zerk fittings which are not clogged and work perfectly.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Some people say to apply heat. The area is painted so I'd rather not unless a heat gun would work.

Try a heavy duty soldering iron.

Can you unscrew the zero fitting?
Then clean it out and clean out any wax buildup in the female thread.

Reassemble and give it a go.

They sell a kit to free the zerk fittings.

Alemite 339841 Zerk-Mate Grease Fitting/Joint Cleaner,Silver; Gold/Yellow; Black

Its pricey. I paid a lot less when I bought it in 2015.

Sometimes it's not the fitting where the problem is. It can be inside the item, such as an inner ball joint. In on case I completely changed the zerk fitting then obtained a zerk fitting cleaner, not for the zerk but for what was beyond.

A zerk fitting cleaner ( quality varies) can work well. Put a solvent in it and give it a hit with a hammer. I've been able to inject some solvent, let it sit for a few days and when I came back it was clear and I injected a copious amount of grease.

We never fought with them, they are too cheap to waste time trying to free up, replace it and move on. If the joint itself was clogged we shot it full of PB blaster, put the fitting back on and pressurized it with grease then noted it on the maintenance report and checked it the next time.

some greases are not compatible and turn rock hard. Modem grease guns and fittings are not capable of high pressure. My old gun and chuck are rated at 10,000 PSI it can be very hard to pump and the fitting will stick on. But it breaks anything free.

Rod

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Uhh, replace them? .. I have a whole little box of them - straight and 45 degree.

Yeah, I do the same.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Sometimes it's not the fitting where the problem is. It can be inside the item, such as an inner ball joint. In on case I completely changed the zerk fitting then obtained a zerk fitting cleaner, not for the zerk but for what was beyond.

A zerk fitting cleaner ( quality varies) can work well. Put a solvent in it and give it a hit with a hammer. I've been able to inject some solvent, let it sit for a few days and when I came back it was clear and I injected a copious amount of grease.

This has always been my understanding too. I have my doubts that the fitting is the issue so we shall see.

I can't recall if it is even replaceable.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
What's everyone's fixes for these?

I also have a LockNLube coupler. Works great and arguably helps, but if it's really clogged, it won't do a thing besides fill the gun hose with grease and spew out when you remove the coupler. Lol.

I replace the zerk fitting first.

Back