High Perfomrnace Lubricants - Hand Sanitizer

Site sponser High Performance Lubricants has producted hand sanitizer due to the recent pandemic.
cheers3.gif

"Made with United States Pharmacopeia (USP) grade Alcohol - not fuel grade or tech grade!"

Link

Originally Posted by earlyre
@ $25 a quart though....

That's about normal these days. Since the pandemic started, the materials for making sanitizer, along with regulations from the FDA, have gone through the roof. Just the bottles to carry the sanitizer is on a major backlog. Around me, just an 8oz bottle of sanitizer will set you back ~$5 right now so that price isn't unrealistic. They probably aren't making much of a profit at that price. That sanitizer is also 80% alcohol compared to 60-65% for most common store brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Site sponser High Performance Lubricants has producted hand sanitizer due to the recent pandemic.
cheers3.gif

"Made with United States Pharmacopeia (USP) grade Alcohol - not fuel grade or tech grade!"

Link

Billy the Kid had to use a gun.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
cheers3.gif

Link

All,

Clearly it would help to have an explanation. I had looked at this weeks ago but raw materials were affordable but not available. Since then, with our filling capability, I have received 3-5 calls per week asking us to fill hand sanitizer for other people. In most of those cases it was apparent that people were trying to ram something through without the proper steps being taken. We were then presented with the ability to get our own raw materials but at a much higher price. At this point I had to make a decision and chose to move forward anyway. I happened to have a semi load of bottles in stock which is the most difficult part of the puzzle. To replace our bottles we will have to wait for 5 months as our supplier has a 55 million bottle backlog. Sprayers are over 30 weeks to replace. In order for us to complete this process using legitimate materials, legitimate packaging, and to include finished packaging UN testing, Registration with the FDA. Using another facility as I cannot produce flammable products in the Plant that I own it adds cost. Boxes had to be made. Those boxes required dies and printing plates to be made, labels had to be made... more plates. All of these costs have to be amortized over a finite lot of materials. I had to move a filling line from our plant to another location to be able to fill the bottles (costs more money). We have to store the material at another location. (costs more money). So why go through all of this? There are still many cases in many places where people are unable to get sanitizer in any form and are paying $40 per part or more. At the end of the day I was able to produce a large enough batch to ensure the product is available.

By the way, it is working. We are selling to law enforcement, fire departments, libraries, construction companies, crane companies, individuals and more. We get the calls every day from people expressing gratitude that they don't have to spend $40 per quart. Unfortunately we have to tell this story over and over. With just over 30 million people now on unemployment I am glad that we were able to pivot to keep employees busy, and in turn help the people that need it by providing sanitizer.

The Trump administration has recently shut down 15 companies that were using fuel grade ethanol in hand sanitizer. While the denaturant in fuel grade alcohol is ok for cars it is certainly not something you should be applying to your skin. We use USP grade Ethanol in our sanitizer.

If you are lucky enough to find stock on a walmart shelf, that is a great thing and I would encourage you to do so. I set a goal to keep our employees busy and a supply available. We have done that. Being an oil company not a sanitizer company certainly prevents us from being able to get good pricing when purchasing materials on the spot market during a worldwide pandemic.

We are certainly in a buyer beware market. I certainly feel bad that the price is where it is but at the end of the day with all the hoops we had to jump through we are able to provide it. When materials pull back in price and if we can get additional packaging that has not gone crazy in price I'll be happy to lower the price.

4 packs are $25 per bottle and they are $22 each in a case of 12. (friends and family pack)

David
High Performance Lubricants

Originally Posted by Rand
I'll pass. i can get about 10 containers of clorox wipes for that much.

Please share where.

Just buy a 1.75L of 95% ethanol if you live in a state or province where they sell it. Clear Spring is made by Beam Distilleries and appears to be better quality then Everclear. Makes pretty excellent coffee and vanilla extracts, not sure how it goes in drinks but if Always Sunny in Philadelphia is to be believed, it is also a key ingredient in riot juice. Also works great for sanitizing hands and kitchen counters.

If one isn't interested in making hand sanitizer then honestly the High Performance Lubricants deals seems pretty decent all things considered, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Props to them for keeping their employees working and making something useful during the umm events.

Originally Posted by High Performance Lubricants
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
cheers3.gif

Link

All,

Clearly it would help to have an explanation. I had looked at this weeks ago but raw materials were affordable but not available. Since then, with our filling capability, I have received 3-5 calls per week asking us to fill hand sanitizer for other people. In most of those cases it was apparent that people were trying to ram something through without the proper steps being taken. We were then presented with the ability to get our own raw materials but at a much higher price. At this point I had to make a decision and chose to move forward anyway. I happened to have a semi load of bottles in stock which is the most difficult part of the puzzle. To replace our bottles we will have to wait for 5 months as our supplier has a 55 million bottle backlog. Sprayers are over 30 weeks to replace. In order for us to complete this process using legitimate materials, legitimate packaging, and to include finished packaging UN testing, Registration with the FDA. Using another facility as I cannot produce flammable products in the Plant that I own it adds cost. Boxes had to be made. Those boxes required dies and printing plates to be made, labels had to be made... more plates. All of these costs have to be amortized over a finite lot of materials. I had to move a filling line from our plant to another location to be able to fill the bottles (costs more money). We have to store the material at another location. (costs more money). So why go through all of this? There are still many cases in many places where people are unable to get sanitizer in any form and are paying $40 per part or more. At the end of the day I was able to produce a large enough batch to ensure the product is available.

By the way, it is working. We are selling to law enforcement, fire departments, libraries, construction companies, crane companies, individuals and more. We get the calls every day from people expressing gratitude that they don't have to spend $40 per quart. Unfortunately we have to tell this story over and over. With just over 30 million people now on unemployment I am glad that we were able to pivot to keep employees busy, and in turn help the people that need it by providing sanitizer.

The Trump administration has recently shut down 15 companies that were using fuel grade ethanol in hand sanitizer. While the denaturant in fuel grade alcohol is ok for cars it is certainly not something you should be applying to your skin. We use USP grade Ethanol in our sanitizer.

If you are lucky enough to find stock on a walmart shelf, that is a great thing and I would encourage you to do so. I set a goal to keep our employees busy and a supply available. We have done that. Being an oil company not a sanitizer company certainly prevents us from being able to get good pricing when purchasing materials on the spot market during a worldwide pandemic.

We are certainly in a buyer beware market. I certainly feel bad that the price is where it is but at the end of the day with all the hoops we had to jump through we are able to provide it. When materials pull back in price and if we can get additional packaging that has not gone crazy in price I'll be happy to lower the price.

4 packs are $25 per bottle and they are $22 each in a case of 12. (friends and family pack)

David
High Performance Lubricants

David,

Thank you for your commitment to supply a very scarce product at a price that goes with the times we're living in.

Originally Posted by 4WD
So has XOM, for hospital use … they produce the alcohol

To be clear … this is Isopropyl … it's a donation primarily to the "hot spots" and they are happy to take when nothing else is available or affordable …
I'd assume they use various grades depending on how it's used …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD
So has XOM, for hospital use … they produce the alcohol

To be clear … this is Isopropyl … it's a donation primarily to the "hot spots" and they are happy to take when nothing else is available or affordable …
I'd assume they use various grades depending on how it's used …

70% is what we used for sanitizing surfaces and preparing injections. 99% has some limited use but not for sanitizing.

Originally Posted by PimTac
70% is what we used for sanitizing surfaces and preparing injections. 99% has some limited use but not for sanitizing.

This is true, you need some water to promote effective sanitizing especially on skin. I remember that discussion from a chemistry class years ago.

Back