Toyota Power Steering Reservoir?

Anyone familiar with late model Toyota's; is the power steering reservoir screen susceptible to damage from inserting a vinyl hose. I did multiple suck/fills on my 05 tundra and 15 4Runner today. While I wasn't jamming the hose down in there, I was making contact with the bottom. Any insight is appreciated, thanks

I think you'll be fine, I've done the same on both of the 2nd gen Tacomas we have/had in the family for years with no issues.

Originally Posted by CT8
Next time you suck the oil out take a peak.

Will do for sure. Just trying to decide if I should look sooner rather than later..

The screen is stronger than you think, but I wouldn't go jamming it every time. I attached a piece of rubber hose on the end of the turkey baster I was using.

Good to see someone keeping up on the power steering. When I bought my second gen Tacoma it appeared it had never been changed in 128K miles. I decided to do the flush, which is relatively easy on these trucks. A year and 12K miles later it's starting to look dirty again, not near as bad but still getting dirty. Gonna do it again; betting after that it'll be good for a while.

Originally Posted by Delta
The screen is stronger than you think, but I wouldn't go jamming it every time. I attached a piece of rubber hose on the end of the turkey baster I was using.

Good to see someone keeping up on the power steering. When I bought my second gen Tacoma it appeared it had never been changed in 128K miles. I decided to do the flush, which is relatively easy on these trucks. A year and 12K miles later it's starting to look dirty again, not near as bad but still getting dirty. Gonna do it again; betting after that it'll be good for a while.

Right on, thanks. I'll be more careful now. Definitely wasn't jamming the hose in there, but I was poking around trying to suck stuff off the bottom.
Same situation here, my 05 Tundra I just picked up has 124k. Never been touched. The fluid smelled so bad! I just did a UOA on the transmission (never serviced) the WS fluid in it held up good all these years.

Originally Posted by OCDoiler
Right on, thanks. I'll be more careful now. Definitely wasn't jamming the hose in there, but I was poking around trying to suck stuff off the bottom.
Same situation here, my 05 Tundra I just picked up has 124k. Never been touched. The fluid smelled so bad! I just did a UOA on the transmission (never serviced) the WS fluid in it held up good all these years.

Hah, funny you mention the trans never being touched that long. At 140K I think my truck had only one drain and fill before 80K. Starting to get a slight shudder and shifting isn't quite smooth. Taking it in tomorrow for a full fluid exchange (and frame inspection, gotta love the Northeast...). We'll see how that goes...

Back