A little dab of sealant.

I'm going to be installing a new oil pan gasket in my Ford Taurus. All sources I checked said put a dab of sealant at the appropriate corners when installing the Fel-Pro gasket. Normally, I'd use Permatex Ultra Black. Only problem is I'm renting a lift at a self serve garage called U-Wrench and will be driving away after the job, a 10 mile trip. I understand If I used "The Right Stuff" by Permatex I could do this. Do you think there's a chance I might screw up the Ultra Black if I drove it away before it set up? Also, perhaps " The Right Stuff" is too thick for this purpose? Thanks.

Last edited:
The sealant is just to hold the gasket in place while you install the oil pan. Once the pan is in place and bolts have been tightened, the sealant is no longer needed.

If there's a joint/s along the oil pan sealing surface....Like for a Timing Cover or Rear Main Adapter....Sealant IS required at those joints.

Right Stuff will work fine, Just don't let it "Tack" too long! This is actually a perfect application for Hylomar M or Blue....The solvent evaporates quickly enough that once you're done, You can drive it home.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
IThis is actually a perfect application for Hylomar M or Blue....The solvent evaporates quickly enough that once you're done, You can drive it home.

Thanks, how would I choose between Blue or M. Anything I should know about? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

Back