UI and going back to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been called back to work and not gone as the UI + $600 was more than they would make if working full time.

There is something wrong with this picture.

With the PPP loan forgiveness, the employers need to restore their employee base to pre-February 15 levels. So they are calling back employees even if there is no work or is unsafe.
In my organization everybody came back because the UI benefits + $600 is less than wages. We pay our people well.

Originally Posted by Donald
Has anyone been called back to work and not gone as the UI + $600 was more than they would make if working full time.

I haven't because the bars are still closed and there are no gigs. But I will once they open and we resume gigging. The extra 600 is nice, and needed right now, but I'm not the type of person to not work just to keep getting it. BUT.... I look at it this way, I'm getting back some of the "way too many" taxes I've paid into anyway.

We had 2 slow weeks. Since the end of the 2nd week we have been super busy. Guess the non essentials decided to get their cars fixed while they were sent home. My soonest available appointment is 7 days from now!

So no I did not get any time off to get to collect unemployment.

Last edited:
When the employer notifies the UI office the job is back open but the worker decides not to return, his status changes from "laid off" to "quit." There are no more benefits then. There is no option to "stay home for more money."

The economy won't return to normal, ever, at least in our lifetimes.

We're just beginning to see the fallout and plenty of business like major retailers and restaurants will never fully reopen.

The bizarre thing is how some industries are in some sort of delusional state like the new car business, they are still trying to peddle their wares as if nothing has happened, for the most part. I will bet that many new cars will be scrapped before they are sold at a large discount so they can carry the numbers over on the books.

Unless they start selling at 50%+ off of retail I won't be buying one.

I don't think you have a choice. If you're offered your job back and refuse I think you can be cut off. Unless you can prove there is a danger or your employer is reckless...

Originally Posted by mk378
When the employer notifies the UI office the job is back open but the worker decides not to return, his status changes from "laid off" to "quit." There are no more benefits then. There is no option to "stay home for more money."

*beat me to it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378

Yep. That's going to happen to lots of folks trying to stay home and get paid.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

We're just beginning to see the fallout and plenty of business like major retailers and restaurants will never fully reopen.

The bizarre thing is how some industries are in some sort of delusional state like the new car business, they are still trying to peddle their wares as if nothing has happened, for the most part. I will bet that many new cars will be scrapped before they are sold at a large discount so they can carry the numbers over on the books.

LOL

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

LOL

Yeah, same here. I guess it depends on how long you think your lifetime is. If you're planning to be one of the dead soon, then he could be complete accurate. If you watch Donnie Darko, he predicted the end of the world and for him, it was.

As for new cars, something like 75% of the cars sold are used cars, and it's only about 20% of the workforce that isn't working. I'm still working, still making money, sales may be down but so is production so they might be able to balance the two out but they'll probably start some discounting. Never saw them do 50% off even after the dot com bust or the last recession back in 2008.

We'll always go back to "normal", one way or another, the normal will change and people will adapt.

People probably will spend less on boat and SUVs but more on home improvement, less on take out and eating out but more on simple to cook food (i.e. pre-marinated meat, ready to bake pizza, etc). Shopping malls and most clothing retailers will be in big trouble, and the cloth shopping behaviors will change forever.

I sure hope you're wrong! While I've been making it & doing quite well considering....It would be A LOT better if my car lot accounts could move more inventory. They were having a record year before this.

Not an expert by any means.....But slashing prices for a few circling Buzzards might not be the wisest decision?

Thing is that small business is what drives the economy in the USA and many of those people won't be going back to work because those business are closing for good.
Folks denying that reality are in a state of denial. The other sucker punch might be this fall. I predict the bottom will fall out.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You really can't blame them if they stay home and get more....

It will take years to return to normal.

It's the new Mt. Dew Camacho economy model.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
You really can't blame them if they stay home and get more....

It will take years to return to normal.

It's the new Mt. Dew Camacho economy model.

Oh yeah, that's what I thought.

If you are offered work back and refuse, UI stops.

I strongly disagree with your assessment.

Last edited:
You do not want this virus. I work with someone that recovered from COVID 2 weeks ago (after a very miserable 8 days) and came down with shingles this weekend. She's 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back