Purolator L14612 7600mi cut open

This filter came from the dealer on my 2016 Mazda3, installed at 32,600mi and removed at 40,200mi. The filter appeared to be in good shape overall, inside and out. Nitrile ADBV was soft and pliable (as evidenced by the good deal of oil still in the filter when I cut it), louvers were punched in well, and the media looked mostly straight and felt solid. Unfortunately a close examination of the media revealed a tiny tear at the bottom of a pleat near the metal canister seam. Nothing too alarming compared to some of the other torn filters I've seen here, but still enough that I wouldn't buy one of these myself.

Date code on the filter says it was assembled Jul 24, 2018, installed on the car in Aug '19 and removed this past weekend. Installed a Mazda 1WPE-14-302 and 5qt of Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE.

IMG_20200503_123546.jpg

IMG_20200503_123555.jpg

IMG_20200503_123609.jpg

IMG_20200503_130304.jpg

IMG_20200503_130329.jpg

IMG_20200503_130601.jpg

IMG_20200503_130620.jpg

IMG_20200503_130931.jpg

Thanks for the C&P. Sorry to hear the the newer Purolators are still having tearing. Glad I chose to run the Fram Ultra for both my vehicles.

Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

It tore
mad.gif

This is the shorty 14612, which didn't have tearing problems before. The problem may have started when they started painting the cans red and made whatever other changes they made
crazy2.gif

A tear is a tear; no excuses. Why I won't and don't use a Purolator. Glad you put some A better filter on the vehicle. Thanks for c&p
thumbsup2.gif

The pleat that tore wasn't even spread open as wide as some of the Purolators that have shown torn media.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
A tear is a tear; no excuses. Why I won't and don't use a Purolator. Glad you put some A better filter on the vehicle. Thanks for c&p
thumbsup2.gif

100% correct
To many good filters to pick from for that same money !
I used a lot of Purolators in the past, but no more

I got a white can classic of the same number I could cut open to see of it's made any different. It's on a old 2.2L turbo engine that cracked its head 5 years ago so may be some coolant in it

Disappointing.

Has anyone seen similar tearing in Bosch's Premium filters?

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by adamsoil
It was used for way over 5000 miles which is its limit and everyone jumps on the tiny tear...

Not so sure the new Purolators have stronger media. Before Purolator supposedly "changed" them, there were many reported tears on filters that had way less than 5000 miles on them.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by adamsoil
It was used for way over 5000 miles which is its limit and everyone jumps on the tiny tear...

Not so sure the new Purolators have stronger media. Before Purolator supposedly "changed" them, there were many reported tears on filters that had way less than 5000 miles on them.

I saw the Loch Ness monster this past weekend.

For your Mazda 3 go with a MC FL910S which is a much better filter. This was my normal 10K OCI.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
For your Mazda 3 go with a MC FL910S which is a much better filter. This was my normal 10K OCI.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FL910S does not cross-reference to any Skyactiv compatible filters, it has a different thread and all. Decided to get a bunch of Mazda OEM filters since I'm still under powertrain warranty for another year and a half, and they're more than stout enough for the 7500mi OCIs I'll be using (see C&P here).

There's the white can classic purolator filter I have. Cut open to see if it was made any different from the red can
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

doesn't appear to be. Look at all the sludge. The oil was Mobil 1 10w30 but the engine cracked its head and some water may have gotten into oil. I guess over to 6 years it's sludge it all up.

Last edited:
Back