Considering Buying A Hino Truck.

Company I work for is considering buying a used (2013 to 2015 year range) Hino 268 box truck at a Ritchie Bros auction. Most of the trucks are ex Ryder trucks. Of course I wonder why Ryder is selling them at auction at relatively low mileage.
Especially interested in emissions systems issues. Trucks have about 250k kms on them. Any feedback is welcome.

I owned a few Hino box trucks. They were trouble free. But this was 18+ years ago, no DEF, DPF, or other more recent Diesel emissions systems.

I lease one from Penske. (Flatbed) I have driven all the brands out there and the Hinos run the best. Not a lot of room if you are a big person like I am 280# 6'2" but otherwise it's been trouble free. The one I have is just shy off 100k miles.

Originally Posted by George7941
Company I work for is considering buying a used (2013 to 2015 year range) Hino 268 box truck at a Ritchie Bros auction. Most of the trucks are ex Ryder trucks. Of course I wonder why Ryder is selling them at auction at relatively low mileage.
Especially interested in emissions systems issues. Trucks have about 250k kms on them. Any feedback is welcome.

Since Ryder is a leasing company, wouldn't you consider 250,000 kms to be lots for a lease vehicle? That's 150,000 miles.

Last edited:
For a lease vehicle, yes. But they are also a truck rental company and I think rental trucks accumulate more mileage before they are replaced with new trucks.

Used to run quite a few of these in a large private fleet (1,400 trucks in total) - and quite a few Hinos in Toronto.
They do tend to have fewer service locations and you may be tied into Hino service for dealer only repair items.
And if something breaks, which it will, how long might it be down would be my question.
I ran Hinos and Internationals and found the total cost per km to be about the same, fuel and R&M included.
Don't recall many emissions systems issues - except when drivers put diesel in the DEF tank - yes, it happened.
Bottom line is - who services your trucks and what is their comfort level on your purchase.

I went to the Hino launch when they relaunched in Canada - it was a drive and ride in Waterloo area. IIRC in 2010.
Their claim to fame was better fuel economy, but the International and the Hino were basically identical in my drive.

Last edited:
We ended up buying a 2017 Freightliner
https://www.rbauction.com/2017-frei...amp;id=ci&auction=toronto-on-2020188
Online auction and bought sight unseen. Pretty much bought it on price alone, which was right at $11500. A bit of a gamble.

Weird one though, I have not figured it out. A light truck, with a 16' box and 17.5k rear axle, yet it has a large (ISL) engine. Only 6400 hrs (listing does say not verified) and 465k kms, so highway use and not a vocational truck. The inside of the box is clean and unmolested. What kind of use would call for this large an engine? Even the ISC would be a large engine for this light a truck.

We plan on mounting a 20 ft box on it.

An engine that large is perfect for maintaining cruising speed on hills while loaded. It also depends on the rear end gearing and for some reason 6th gear is disabled. Hope the rear end gearing is tall because the L9 is governed at 2200rpms and you'll have a screamer with short gears.

Low air warning on hydraulic brakes. Don't know where it's pulling that warning from.

We have a 2004 M2 we bought new. It has hydraulic brakes but it has an air compressor. The air is useful to have for non-brake applications. The rear suspension is air and that enables us to drop the rear of the truck for loading when not at a dock. There is a nice loud air horn, in addition to an electric horn. The rad fan controlled by air works better than a viscous fan because the disengagement is complete and there is no drag at all when disengaged, unlike viscous fans. The viscous drive does wear out and is a bit expensive to replace. Cab suspension is air. Seat suspension is also air and height adjustment is by push button.

Lastly, and most important, the driveline mounted parking brake is operated by air. The advantage is that once the parking brake is applied, the truck cannot move until the brake is released. So no one is driving around with the parking brake partially applied. The shoes do not wear at all, unlike on our trucks with manually operated parking brakes where I have to occasionally replace the shoes.

The 2004 truck mentioned above has a low air warning. The parking brake cannot be released once pressure drops below 70 psi.

Last edited:
Online auction and bought sight unseen. Pretty much bought it on price alone, which was right at $11500. A bit of a gamble.

Weird one though, I have not figured it out. A light truck, with a 16' box and 17.5k rear axle, yet it has a large (ISL) engine. Only 6400 hrs (listing does say not verified) and 465k kms, so highway use and not a vocational truck. The inside of the box is clean and unmolested. What kind of use would call for this large an engine? Even the ISC would be a large engine for this light a truck.

8.3L ISL? Make sure you change the CCV regularly on that engine. It will trip the CEL and go into reduced power mode when it becomes restricted. Also beware of EGR cooler failures. Other common problems is clogging of the EGR cross drilling ports for the pressure sensor. Also several issues with the DEF system on older (2015) trucks. Other than that, they are good engines. I would run the overhead with the hours on it.

Last edited:

Pretty normal for that chassis, lots of engine options. We have two of that body style, one of the older, but we have much larger boxes and much longer frames. The old girl has a non-emissions CAT, the other two, the 2008 has a Mercedes, the 2011 has an ISC. I'm not a big fan of them, they experience a lot of electrical wonkiness, HVAC issues...etc.

When we were shopping for a replacement we looked at Hino, Freighliner, International and Kenworth. A good friend of mine, and HD diesel mechanic who has worked for the last three extensively, implored us to try out the Kenworth indicating that in his experience they were the least maintenance hungry and best constructed. It was by far the nicest truck, and quite cost-competitive, so that's the route we ended up going.

Hopefully you guys have good luck with yours! Ours sit a fair bit, the frames rust like crazy, so for the last several years we've had the local Rust Check guy come by and spray them and that's helped massively.

The previous truck I leased was a Freightliner. Had a [censored] of a time with the AC. It had some sort of electrical problem that was reoccurring. It was a good thing it was a lease with a service contract.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
The previous truck I leased was a Freightliner. Had a [censored] of a time with the AC. It had some sort of electrical problem that was reoccurring. It was a good thing it was a lease with a service contract.

Yes, both of our newer ones have had HVAC issues with the blend door motor requiring replacement, A/C compressor failure. The headlights are also awful and boy are they LOUD (compared to the Kenworth).

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Hopefully you guys have good luck with yours! Ours sit a fair bit, the frames rust like crazy, so for the last several years we've had the local Rust Check guy come by and spray them and that's helped massively.
Yeah, frame rust is a big issue, so is brake line rust. The box frames seem to use a cheaper grade of steel than the truck frame and the box frame members rust a lot. I spray the trucks myself annually with rust proofing oil and it keeps the rust at bay.

As a currently laid off, tow truck operator, I've driven both the 258 and 195 models. The 258 was a good city truck, but the ALP model with the extra HP made it nicer. Only issues I saw on the 258 were on the 2017 models with multiple recalls; my favorite was the issue of the exploding fuse box, mine didn't but instead, melted apart enough that if I drove over a bump, it stalled out. I managed to get it to limp to the Hino dealer for a repair.

I loved my 195! That little 4 banger diesel is awesome. I would love to see Toyota put that engine into a Tundra...

Ryder replaces trucks based on time, not mileage...I have seen them sold off with
All the emission diesels are garbage, no exceptions. An emission system repair, if it can be fixed (some cannot), can easily double the cost of the truck. We have two trucks at work with check engine lights on...nobody has any idea why, they just reset them every month or two. I would either look for pre-2008 trucks, or newer Fords with gas power.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Since Ryder is a leasing company, wouldn't you consider 250,000 kms to be lots for a lease vehicle? That's 150,000 miles.

The whole fleet at work is Ryder-we have a tractor with 440,000 miles. I got a rental tractor with 330,000 last fall. Our box trucks usually have ~200K when turned in...I have gotten rentals with over 200K. Had 310K on a rental box truck a while back. Ryder goes by time, not miles.

Back