THE DRIVE : Best Wet Weather tires ...

Does anyone here really think the General RT43 will out perform the Goodyear Exhilarate in the wet? How does the TireRack get .84 G's in the wet while the General gets .71 G's?

many reviews are less than honest IMO. like drugs there are ways to make them seem safe, throw out anything bad, + only report the good! Amazon is similar buyer BEWARE!!

It does not look to be very good review page.
Best wet weather tires and there is no sign of Michelin Pilot 4S or Pirelli PZero or Conti Extreme Contact Sport.

I have my doubts.

Krzys

Depends on who paid for the article.
Personally, I like General tires but not all models, very happy with Altimax Arctic and G-Max AS-05.
I had RT 4.3 tires in the past and it was a disappointment to me.

Cannot wait until they review motor oil. That site is nothing but an Amazon shill, and says so at the bottom of their webpages.

Last edited:
They're discontinued & not easy to find, but if there's a tire that can outperform my Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds (based off the original GY Aquatreds) in the wet that I have on the MGM in my sig, I want to see them. The Tripletreds actually put off rooster tails in heavy rain! I have General Altimax RT43s on the xB-they're better than the Hankooks I used to have on it, but they couldn't carry the Tripletreds' jock in rain!

What a terrible article... I don't see any objective basis.

They said that people trust Goodyear because of their Eagle RS-A tires?!? Is t that a late 90s or early 2000s tire that lived on for police cars? Do people trust Goodyear because of the invicta GL and the s4s as well?

Originally Posted by JHZR2
What a terrible article... I don't see any objective basis.

They said that people trust Goodyear because of their Eagle RS-A tires?!? Is t that a late 90s or early 2000s tire that lived on for police cars? Do people trust Goodyear because of the invicta GL and the s4s as well?

I once had a fellow Marine say the Goodyear tires on his VW GTI were great because they're z-rated and used in nascar.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Does anyone here really think the General RT43 will out perform the Goodyear Exhilarate in the wet? How does the TireRack get .84 G's in the wet while the General gets .71 G's?

My experience with Tire Rack's wet testing is that they don't put enough water on their course to generate hydroplaning effects. What comes out is basically a measure of dry grip. No doubt there would be different results if the water were deeper.

Originally Posted by dubber09
Depends on who paid for the article.

It's an 'article' written to generate Amazon clicks. Treat it as such, no more.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

My experience with Tire Rack's wet testing is that they don't put enough water on their course to generate hydroplaning effects. What comes out is basically a measure of dry grip. No doubt there would be different results if the water were deeper.

Best in hydroplaning does not mean best in wet.
I had Kumho who were excellent in hydroplaning, but braking in wet required praying!

Looking around their site, I'm not sure I trust anything they say. They rated a winter tire as the best off road for a Toyota Tacoma.

I put Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on my Clubman; the Quatrac 5 is a grand touring all-season that also has the severe snow service rating. I like them a lot- they are good in the snow and amazing in the wet; a while back I was driving the car on the interstate in a moderate rain; I wasn't paying attention to the speedometer(easy to do in an R55 Mini) and when I did glance over at it I found I was cruising at over 85 mph. The car felt solid as a rock- the tires performing as if the road was bone dry.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CapriRacer

Best in hydroplaning does not mean best in wet.
I had Kumho who were excellent in hydroplaning, but braking in wet required praying!

Yep. Had a set of Ecopia's on my Caliber. Never hydroplaned, but they were awful otherwise in wet weather or snow.

Originally Posted by ChiTDI
Nokians are legendary for their wet weather performance.
Lot of Pacific Northwest users.

I had WRG3 SUV's and they were flat out unsafe. Got rid of them at 4.5/32 tread depth (17K miles) and was very glad to. They began feeling seriously unsafe at around 6-7/32. Water made them into floaties. Loud. Uncomfortable. Terrible. I really can't tell you how trash this tire was without triggering the profanity filter on this site.

Back