Magnetic Sockets

Is there such a thing as magnetic sockets?

I sometimes wish I had a 10mm magnetic socket to snake my way into odd corners in the engine bay while holding the bolt on the end of the extension..

Has this been done before?!

There are inserts, or you can just get the appropriate diameter of neodymium magnets for cheap on ebay/etc and epoxy them in from the back side to make it permanent in a socket. If you are not crafty using epoxy, containing the fill area, then more expensive ready-made will be easier. I keep a bunch of neo magnets stuck on my tool box lid for various temporary uses, can just stack them to get a different depth as needed.

If you need to keep a fastener stuck in a socket for installation rather than removal, shim a piece of paper (or foil, or whatever) into the socket with it to take up the slack.

Interesting.. I was confused by what those were at first..

Also the first link says the sockets are made of plastic?!?!

Magnetic inserts. A few bucks apiece.

Pop them in when you want a magnet to hold the fastener. Pop them out when you don't.

Move them between socket sets.

I once had a set. They worked OK. But that was decades ago, and before neodymium magnets were common.

I suspect that these sets are much better than my old ones.

Originally Posted by Dave9
There are inserts, or you can just get the appropriate diameter of neodymium magnets for cheap on ebay/etc and epoxy them in from the back side to make it permanent in a socket. If you are not crafty using epoxy, containing the fill area, then more expensive ready-made will be easier. I keep a bunch of neo magnets stuck on my tool box lid for various temporary uses, can just stack them to get a different depth as needed.

If you need to keep a fastener stuck in a socket for installation rather than removal, shim a piece of paper (or foil, or whatever) into the socket with it to take up the slack.

I use a tiny very strong magnet glued to an extension and insert it into the socket with the bolt. Or, you could use a rubber band wedged in the socket with the bolt.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
This would be an effective option. But it could get expensive very fast. I would want all my sockets to have them. So that means a set for the 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sockets. then I would want a set for the deep sockets.

You need to go to McMaster Carr and go to the magnets and order bulk and insert into your sockets. Very inexpensive.

I have 13/16 and 5/8 magnetic spark plug sockets from Gearwrench. I love'em, far better than rubber inserts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by BretK
I have 13/16 and 5/8 magnetic spark plug sockets from Gearwrench. I love'em, far better than rubber inserts.

I have the MATCO labeled ones, they are awesome.

Originally Posted by Astro14
http://www.langtools.com/sku-522-19-pc-magnetic-socket-inserts-sae-amp-metric/

Yep...

https://www.amazon.com/Hazet-960MGT-Magnetic-sockets-10-19mm/dp/B001C9UU3K

I have something similar to these and they're okay. Somewhat useless on smaller stuff though as odd as it sounds.

______
If I have to do some yoga to get a bolt in, I'll lightly tape it to the socket with electrical tape. If I need a u joint, but need it to be semi rigid, I'll wrap that in electrical tape too.

Last edited:
Back