Castrol GTX Ultraclean ?

Is this a new oil or I have I just been missing it? I just saw a jug on the store shelf last week. I'm intrigued. I have never used any Castrol oil before. Seems like you don't hear too much about it on this forum either.
I'm intrigued for mainly my Explorer 4.0L, it seems they have an issue with sludge, from what I have heard.
Interesting side bar: I have never been on Castrol's website either, so I checked it out to look at this oil. I used their "oil finder" tool, just for kicks. For each of my vehicles, it recommended EDGE HM, except for the Explorer, it recommended the Ultraclean.
Does anyone know anything about this oil or have any experience with it? I did a quick scan of a couple of the threads (this one, analysis, etc.) and didn't see any mention of it.

It's on the new side but has been out a couple months I think. It's just the new trending of oil companies admitting that their "conventional oils" have been syn blends for a while...

It's good oil. There is no bad oil these days if it meets all the requirements of your vehicle. Castrol, pennzoil, shell, Quaker state, valvoline.. even napa auto or super tech all good oils.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Syntec Blend's replacement?

No this is the entry level PCMO. Magnatec was the synblend replacement.

Thank you for all of the links farrarfan1. It does appear to be pretty darn good. I believe that I may try it in my old Explorer next change.

Originally Posted by dave1251

True indeed dave1251....

Good to see you back on here wild man...

Hope you have been doing good.

[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]

Castrol has discontinued conventional Group II+ GTX for SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30.

GTX Ultraclean is a Group II+/III synthetic blend, and it's available for 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30.

Conventional Group II+ GTX is only available for 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50 now.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by dave1251

True indeed dave1251....

Good to see you back on here wild man...

Hope you have been doing good.

Thank you sir. It's much appreciated.

Back