Chrysler a904 fluid type

So I'm noticing ON various forums by many people using different fluids for a Chrysler A904 tranny. Mine is a model with a lockup converter. They dipstick says use Dexron. I know many people argue on this some say use the ATF+4 some says you can use Dexron 6 some people even use type f for a firmer feel. Heck I might just stick some MerconV in it. I'm probably just going to use a DEX Merc mix and call it a day but what other fluids have y'all use in these things?

Type f will normally chatter on lock up. Dex 3 works well. If you have some chatter, put in some lube guard red. only brand I trust.

Rod

A904 is a Torqueflite derivative and they plain don't care what kind of fluid is used. Dexron is suggested but in cold climates you can use up to 50% kerosene according to my owners manual for a '60s torqueflite. Buy what's on sale and don't worry about mixing.

I would think with synthetic lubricants kerosene wouldn't be neccessary. Lol thata crazy. I guess if it works. I think I'm sticking with dex/merc. Now I need to learn how to adjust the bands.

Originally Posted by mpack88
Now I need to learn how to adjust the bands.

Factory service manuals are available for free download at mymopar.com.
There may not be one new enough to cover your exact application of a lockup, but I'm certain you can find one that details the band adjustment of a A904.
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Thank you sir.
coffee2.gif

You're welcome. If you find the illustrations too dark, send me a PM, and I'll send you the pages from the 1968 manual.

So I'm noticing ON various forums by many people using different fluids for a Chrysler A904 tranny. Mine is a model with a lockup converter. They dipstick says use Dexron. I know many people argue on this some say use the ATF+4 some says you can use Dexron 6 some people even use type f for a firmer feel. Heck I might just stick some MerconV in it. I'm probably just going to use a DEX Merc mix and call it a day but what other fluids have y'all use in these things?

ATF+4 is specified for your A904 transmission, not DEX 6.

I understand that. Understand when my a904 was made, it was using Dex3. In general motors world DeX 6 supersedes all previous DeX specifications (saturn the one exception). So I dont think it would be incorrect or harmful to put DeX 6 in my a904. I bet dex6 and atf+4 are probably similar but I'm not a chemist or want to spend the money to find out. Seems to me from what I've read a904s and a727 can take about anything.

I understand that. Understand when my a904 was made, it was using Dex3. In general motors world DeX 6 supersedes all previous DeX specifications (saturn the one exception). So I dont think it would be incorrect or harmful to put DeX 6 in my a904. I bet dex6 and atf+4 are probably similar but I'm not a chemist or want to spend the money to find out. Seems to me from what I've read a904s and a727 can take about anything.

Your A904 likely saw Dex 2 as its original fill. Chrysler had a TSB indicating to use ATF+4 to replace Dexron and AFT+3 in its transmissions as it was backward compatible for older transmissions. Dex 6 is thinner than most fluids and may create harsh shifts. I would research and go with what Chrysler says not what GM is suggesting, which would apply to their transmissions.

Last edited:
True that. Since it is a thinner fluid, couldn't it create hard shift in GM transmissions that was superceded by dex6? I'm probably going to use dex/merc since its tried and true and closer to what the factory fill was. If it shutters I'll put a shutter fix in it. If the trans was a new unit, I'll put atf+4 in it.

Last edited:
Update. I used valvoline dex/merc. Just a pan filter drop, however I forgot to adjust the bands. Oh well, I'll get it next time. No chatter or anything however sometimes when it's cold it might flare up between 1/2. Not a slip. More like a delay in shifts. Shifts are firm and quite.

For years I've been using SuperTech Dexron/Mercon in transmissions that call for Dexron II and III, with good results.

The Torqueflite A904 is a very old transmission (first released in 1960) and would have be designed for Dexron I. Chrysler didn't have their own ATF spec until 1966 as all their previous automatics used GM fluids, and even the 66 spec (MS-3256) was based on a GM fluid. So Dexron III would be the closest thing to the original fluid, with Dex VI being another good choice. The old Torqueflite's aren't very picky about ATF so that's why you can run ATF+4 with no problems, and that's why if you walked into a Chrsyler dealer and asked for some ATF for your A904 they would give you ATF+4.

Back