Auto Insurance Rates 2020

So, has anyone had a discount or credit on insurance due to limited driving.

Is it worth it to shop around for better rates?

Clean record and no claims or points ever.

My 2014 f-150 cost $596 for 6 months

Property damage: $50,000
Bodily damage: $50,000 per person 100,000 each incident
Uninsured: $10,000 per person, $20,000 each incident (non-stacked)
PIP: $10,000 basic
Comp/collision: $500 deduct
medical payments: no coverage
Rental/ roadside: none
lean/ Loan: none

Progressive says %20 off for April & May will be credited back in following months.

Last edited:
Allstate dropped my monthly liability payment from $40 to $30. Have no idea if it's for one month only or what. Just know my next payment is $30.

Always a good idea to shop. That being said, some insurers give better service (handling premiums, changes in coverage, adjusting claims, etc.) than others. The level of service may vary by region of the country for individual insurers. Loyalty to one insurer doesn't get you much when it comes to cost of premiums, discounts, etc.

I got a letter that ours were dropping our rate, and we would see it on our bill. Thing is, I just paid, and it wasnt there. Not sure if it will be a credit towards renewal or what.

Id reconsider the payout levels youre buying, OP. They're pretty low for protecting yourself and anyone you might injure/damage, regardless of what the state minimums are.

If youre at fault and heavily damage one or more vehicles, $50k is plausible (think high speed impact on the highway - only takes one high end pickup or similar vehicle taking bad damage). Ditto for uninsured/underinsured. If Im reading it right, and your payout is $20k, imagine if an uninsured drunk damages your truck and injures you and a passenger. Seems like you might not be protected for what is certainly in the realm of possibility...

Geico announced that they would be discount the next renewal by 15%. Sad thing is, the eligibility dates are 4/8-10/8, and my policy renewed on 4/7, so I won't see it until the NEXT renewal in October.
mad.gif

I'm currently a Geico customer and they're giving everyone a 15% discount on their next renewal. Mine renews in August.

Never hurts to shop around. For comparisons sake I'm late 30s, male, have a 2019 F-150 Raptor and pay $98/month for $500k/$500k liability, $500k property damage, $1000 collision, $250 comp, $500k umbi and a glass deductible buyback with Farmers. I do have a home and multi vehicle discount insured with them so there's some savings but I'd say you can do better shopping around. They are discounting our auto premium for April and May.

I called my insurance and was told I would be seeing a discount due to less risk due to less drivers on the road lately. We'll see if it actually happens.

Progressive is giving me 20% off for April and May, not sure how that works since I pay twice a year.

I think it's best to have an agent, I've been with my agent for over 20 years and went to high school with him. Every few years I stop by on a Saturday morning with some donuts and go over my options.

Originally Posted by Capt
I just called Geico, $601 for 6 months similar policy.

Is that with the 15% off for the 6 months or without? Otherwise 15% off for 6 months is better than 20% off for 2 months.

Thanks for getting a GEICO quote
You can start your insurance policy today with a down payment of $117.80.
You can also take advantage of our one-time payment option and pay just $707.10 for a 6-month policy.
You're eligible for the GEICO Giveback. That means you'll get a 15% credit of approximately $106 applied to your account balance. Some restrictions apply.

If you mean related to the COVID-19 event, yes. I just left progressive for Geico last week, but progressive is going to deduct your 6-month premium on May's payment; however they did not deduct any discount from my April payment. Geico is going the same thing for next month's payment (I ended up paying $8 for this month and next month LOL.)

OP, you may want to seriously consider evaluating your coverage amounts. The amounts that you listed above are crazy low. Most reputable insurance attorneys that have I chatted with recommend a minimum of 300 (individual medical)/300(accident total medical)/100(property) coverage and some say that they don't personally go below 500/500/250 and carry a hefty umbrella policy as well. With your current 50/100/50 policy, you are putting your other assets at risk.

Originally Posted by Capt
...Clean record and no claims or points ever...
Good news is you're insurable.
smile.gif

Know Stuart is a lovely area. Perhaps similar to mine demographically.
You and I drive nice trucks. Probably have some assets worth protecting for the future.

PI attorneys are a decent enough lot I'm sure but if there's a claim hopefully any forfeiture will come from insurance.
For which I've already paid.

I raised my property damage and bodily injury liability limits by the underwriters' permissible maximum ($1M) for just a few dollars additional.
And then a few dollars more for umbrella coverage.

fyi $915 annually for my GMC. $3115/yr all four at home.
Seems Porsche and Audi are good at avoiding shunts but pricey to glue back together.

Insuring my 2 cars (in the description) full coverage with Geico, the full premium $970 and they dropped 15% for renewing this month

I would shop around. I used to work for a major Canadian Insurance company in IT and they are making changes to give people discounts. Some people are parking one car which gives them a bigger discount.

Call them and b**ch and complain and you may get the discount sooner. This discount on renewal, especially if you renewal just recently happened is nonsense in my opionion. If you were shopping for a new policy today, you'd be getting a discount.

Back