cleaning grear oil off frame

I had a diff gasket fail on the top of my diff. Sprayed oil all over the underside of the truck and travel trailer tongue and hitch. What would be best to spray and that off?

Yes the diff is ok, i had to replace the gasket and oil in the campground. It did not run dry.

Should i use simple green full strength or perhaps this?

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
I live in the rustbelt so different circumstances, but if it were mine, I'd leave it. Free rustproofing!

I second this, where I am we look for gear oil to spray on our frames. Best stuff out there, thick and clingy...like my X. Not really but I couldn't help myself:)

I would think any engine cleaner would do the job...would work better if it was warm outside

Leave it ...a little road dust will stick to it like kitty litter and it will crust over ...free rust protection. FYI i believe that engine brite is just a different petroleum based product.

Last edited:
Same here, if it was dripping then I'd wipe that excess around to cover a greater area (lol), not at all try to remove it to leave clean, easily rusting metal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by Miller88
I live in the rustbelt so different circumstances, but if it were mine, I'd leave it. Free rustproofing!

I second this, where I am we look for gear oil to spray on our frames. Best stuff out there, thick and clingy...like my X. Not really but I couldn't help myself:)

bar and chain oil works prety well

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Why did the gasket fail on top? Is the vent plugged?

I don't know, i thought maybe i nicked the gasket on the ring gear when i reinstalled it, i don't think i over tightened it. I will keep an eye on it, if it starts to happen again. i will look at the vent, not sure how to check the vent.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Back