Cab and Chassis rear shock ford F350

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
RockAuto had a clearance on KYB 555053 shocks for a RWD F350 MY 2005-2010.

The KYB shocks were listed as a replacement for RWD, cab and chassis. The were $25 each on RockAuto, $52 on Amazon. I purchased the shocks from RockAuto.

Later I discovered the shocks are specifically for a cab and chassis- KYB does not specify these shocks for a F350 with a bed. I went to KYB website, they specify 345072 for a 2007 F350, XLT standard cab, rwd. KYB specifies 555053 for a 2007 F350, XLT, cab and chassis.

Question is- can I run the 555053 cab and chassis shock on my standard cab, without a safety or performance concern?

They will likely physically fit. I would run them and see how they ride.

They are designed to dampen a C&C with a large stake or other bed, but it's still a 350 chassis.
Worst case, you're only out $50, no biggie. Throw them on craigslist or FB marketplace for $50 and get your money back.

The 345072 part is an Exel-G line shock which is a conventional twin tube design. The 555053 part is a Gas-a-Just line shock which is a mono-tube design. Mono-tubes are considered to be a superior shock but may give a harsher ride. I would try them and see if I like them or not. The handling and safety will likely be improved, though possibly at the expense of a little comfort.

Gents,

Thanks for the comments. I wrote KYB- this is their reply:

Both part numbers would mount up on the vehicle the same, but you would run into an issue with shock length. The cab and chassis shock is about 4" shorter than the shock for the standard cab, so you would likely be topping out in normal driving and we would not recommend doing this.

Instead, you will be better off returning 555053 to the original place of purchase and swapping it out for 554366 for your truck.

Also the chassis-cabs are called "narrow frame" in our catalogs while the pickups are "wide frame" because, you guessed it, the frames are different.

And yes, the chassis-cabs are shorter to accommodate service bodies. I didn't really realize this until we measured them at work because a sales person couldn't understand why Ford recommended ordering a chassis-cab for a customer who wanted a service body and not taking the bed off a pickup.

Back