Box fan motor grease

Took apart a box fan down to separating the motor. The bearings/bushings on both ends of the shaft are packed in with some dried out yellowish brown stuff. I assume is grease. Everywhere else online folks say just live shaft with a drop of oil. No one had an opinion on the grease part. Any suggestions?
Picture shows the brass cap, star goes inside the cap as does the silver bearing/bushing. The brown junk was packed all around in the inside of the brass cap once assembled. There is two of these cap assemblies on both ends of the motor.

27F1835E-8303-4AD4-AFB8-BCAD50E432EA.jpeg

The yellow stuff is packing meant to hold the oil looks like it could be reused & add a little- no grease in the motor, fractional hp motors don't like the drag

I re-oil those with Amsoil synthetic ATF. A few drops salvaged from an "empty" jug. Go years without needing oil again.

My "repurposed" box fan -- custom made from an old house fan. This is from an early 1950's Phil Rich Fan Co. house fan (before central AC). Stripped everything down and repainted in LSU colors! Roll it around on casters that are lockable. Original AC motor and bearings! This is back when they built fans to last, it moves an incredible amount of air very quietly!

[Linked Image]

As a Bama fan (who cheered for LSU in the Natty) I'm gritting my teeth to hold back the jokes about how much air LSU fans are capable of producing ...Ž...Ž

Box fans are super cheap in price. Myself, I wouldn't waste my time on it and buy a new one.

there should be felt in that area.
it must be in contact with the oilite bushing to supply it with oil.
20w nd or zoom spout "turbine oil"
as for cheap if its an oldie its worth rehabbing.
if its $10 at the dollar general then no.
those seem to be done after 1 season.
i have a lau made in the 40's thats still perfect.
it was free on trash day 30 years ago.
i cleaned it up and 2 drops of oil in each bearing at the start of the season.
you cannot buy that sort of quality any more.

Felt packing. Believe that bearings and motors like that should have some sparing amount of detergent free oil (e.g. turbine or compressor oil), which wicks into the felt and/or the bronze bearing, which is porous.

Others can clarify my info here to be more accurate, but that's my understanding.

Over-oiling isnt great either...

Back