Valve Cleaning Tip needed

Hey guys, as soon as all the needed materials arrive, I'm going to clean the carbon off the intake valves of my 2017 Focus ST. One issue came to mind as I walked myself through the process.

Do you guys have any ideas on a method / device to vacuum out the carbon sludge after I've soaked it in chemicals and brushed it loose? Looking for an alternative method that will actually work, without the inevitable explosion that will likely occur if I use the Shop Vac.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I would load up the gas with some form of cleaner, and just take the car on a long drive and run it hard, and let the cleaner do it's magic. Don't expect a miracle tho. The only way to really clean up internal parts is to disassemble the motor and clean it by hand.,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I would load up the gas with some form of cleaner, and just take the car on a long drive and run it hard, and let the cleaner do it's magic. Don't expect a miracle tho. The only way to really clean up internal parts is to disassemble the motor and clean it by hand.,,

Doesn't work with direct injection motors.

I'm removing the intake manifold and cleaning by hand, with brushes and CRC Intake Valve Cleaner. I'm pretty sure if I suck that stuff into my shop vac, there will be an explosion. Looking around at vacuum-operated oil extractors, but not sure if that will work for this job.

Run the engine and mist distilled water through the air intake. Have someone rev the engine to prevent stall. I mist the intake until I see steam coming out of the exhaust. I use about a quart of water.

Originally Posted by Delta

Disassembling the motor and cleaning it by hand won't work?.,,,

Originally Posted by Delta

Disassembling the motor and cleaning it by hand won't work?.,,,

Was talking about the filling it up with an injection cleaner and going out for the old Italian tune-up.

Place a rag over the hole and give intermittent blasts with compressed air. The rag will catch the debris. Cover the other valve as well so debris doesn't move from the one you're blasting into another.

The companies that shill these cleaners really leave people hanging with regards to how to perform the job.

Of course the "correct" method for cleaning carbon off intake valves is to use crushed walnuts shells w/air and shop vac along with an adapter specific to your engine.

Last edited:
I would blast them clean with walnut shells using a hand blaster with a hopper. You need to hook up your shop vac to suck the shells and carbon as you are blasting.
Do one cylinder at a time with closed valves. Start with these (these are just examples, you can find them anywhere) and find a rubber cone, pcv T fitting or plug you can adapt to the vac.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4S9CJ...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0CRUU...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Originally Posted by Trav
I would blast them clean with walnut shells using a hand blaster with a hopper. You need to hook up your shop vac to suck the shells and carbon as you are blasting.
Do one cylinder at a time with closed valves. Start with these (these are just examples, you can find them anywhere) and find a rubber cone, pcv T fitting or plug you can adapt to the vac.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4S9CJ...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0CRUU...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

+1

HF Walnut Blaster and a custom-made adapter. Take a look at these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus...082860723589269bb17247afbb4320b9117f8f71

https://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-69724.html

Last edited:
I'm gonna go at this with chemicals, brushes & suction first. If I can't get good results, I'll invest in a blasting system. Thanks for all the helpful links & info!

Walnut shell blasting will be much more effective and simpler in the long run.

Originally Posted by CT8
Is there a problem ? Or prophylactic ?

I'm trying to arrest this, before it gets worse and triggers a running problem.

Valve2.JPG

Valve1.JPG

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Originally Posted by CT8

Hmmm...why not wait? That build-up is really nothing to write home about.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by CT8

The plan is to clean the crud out, install a catch can, switch oils to something (allegedly) more deposit-resistant, and look again after the next OCI. I think it's pretty bad considering it's only traveled 24,000 miles.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by CT8

The plan is to clean the crud out, install a catch can, switch oils to something (allegedly) more deposit-resistant, and look again after the next OCI. I think it's pretty bad considering it's only traveled 24,000 miles.

Wow, that's pretty bad for 24,000 miles! I'd expect that after 150,000 miles

Back