Car parts to stock

Jury is still out if 5.7 HEMI's are still eating water pumps and cams/lifters
lol.gif

But for real... none. Either breaks, I get a rental or we live with one car for a bit while the other is waiting on parts. I have better chances at winning the powerball than a 2018 and a 2019 both breaking at the same time.

I keep bulbs and wiper blades on hand for our vehicles...not because of a shortage, but because I want them handy when needed. I also have oil & filters because I stock up when on sale, but no crazy-big stashes.

I have two vehicles that use the same brake pads. I have a set of front and rear pads. I bought them about 6 months prior to needing them, the price was right. Other than that I have oil and oil filters and an extra set of wiper blades. All bought on sale, or deals too good to pass on.

Gasoline and Tire Repair. If an apocalypse happens I just need gas and tires to get me to my next vehicle.

As for parts shortages... if it gets that bad theres always junkyards.

Thankfully I live in America where we have a market that reacts to any shortages. I see no reason to stock up on anything (except for good deals on oil).

Because good wiper blades are expensive and I like the beam style type, I stock up on a few but, not overkill. I've been fortunate to buy up some Rain-X Latitude from discount stores for $5/ea.

I also keep a few OCI's around. I used to keep incandescent bulbs & fuses around and still have a stash from the 1970s & 80s.

Last edited:
As said above, wiper blades so I can save a surprise price gouge, just a bit of oil and a few filters. IIRC I have 9 filters fitting 6 cars.

Occasionally I have as many as 3 air/cabin air filters for 2 different cars since they're available cheaply ahead of time and serve to reach free shipping thresholds.

Any real part on hand is on my "next to do" list.

An item(s) that may be discontinued by the manufacturer, that you know you will need.
Ex. Reveal trim (around windows) for my `03 Vette. Car is 18 years old, who knows when they will stop offering it? It is cracked on 1 side and would leak if not for being garaged.

Wish I had bought a glove box for my `97 Ram before it was discontinued. It is cracked and falling apart at the hinge area, due to becoming brittle.

I have exterior light bulbs in stock, as I hate running to the store to buy 1 bulb full price. I mean 2 bulbs as most are sold as a 2 pack.

I bought bulbs from RA in bulk (10 pk), paid shipping 1x. They are organized in a Harbor Freight plastic dividing bin/box/tray.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
What car parts do you stock up on in case there are shortages?

Shortages of what??? Now we have auto parts panic buying. Stick with T.P. stashing.

Last edited:
Something that is hard to find, possibly no longer made, but a common failure point on a given car

Otherwise, no need to stock up on anything

The last time I intentionally stocked up on parts it was because I was shopping for parts that the U-Pull, and wanted to make sure that the part I bought worked and that I had a backup for the part on a 20+ year old vehicle that was no longer manufactured.

For my current vehicles, they are two of the most common on the road (F150 and an Explorer) so nearly everything that is a common replacement part is locally available on short notice...

Originally Posted by Donald
The downside is you decide to sell a vehicle or it gets totaled in an accident and now you have leftover parts.

Yep. Last car I sold, it went with any spares (manuals, filters, whatever) to the next owner. But all of that investment is a loss if it's never used.

I buy oil filters by the case, but I plan to use them (and it's not exactly big money either). I might buy brake parts six months ahead of time, as I might notice the pads getting thin in the spring and decide to replace at next tire rotation. But that's not quite stocking up.

At the moment I'm quite ahead--2 drivers with 3 vehicles. And nowhere to drive to, so, we have like 2 spare vehicles now. Hard for something break when it isn't being used, and unless if that part becomes is unavailable for like six months... despite no-one else driving and breaking parts... just doesn't seem like a real need to stock up at all.

nothing, I already have a 1.5 year oil stash built at under 2$/qt for PP and M1

Back