ACEA C3 and ethanol fuels

For some cars/situations requiring 5W-30 i have to go through the hassle of finding an oil that meets ACEA A3/B4 and order it online. That's always a costly option as any xW-30 oil is synthetic here plus i have to pay for shipping.

For example, an oil i can actually find at every store and sometimes on sale is the Total Quartz INEO Long Life 5W-30 since 99% of everything thinner than 5W-40 is low/mid saps here.

Is it possible to use this oil in old school gas engines that are exclusively running E85/flexfuel or at the very least E10 ? The SN rating makes me think so but i would like to hear the opinion of bitog experts !

Here are the ratings of the oil :

ACEA : ACEA C3
API : API CF ,API SN
Approved :
BMW : BMW LL-04
DAIMLER : MB-Approval 229.51
PORSCHE : Porsche C30
VAG : VW 504.00 ,VW 507.00

The US has had E10 since around 2006 and VW Group has specified 504-507 & C30 going back to 2010.

Our domestic automakers sell flex fuel vehicles (E85) and they specify run of the mill 5w20 or 5w30.(ie. SN/CF).

IMO Ethanol doesn't have any impact on oil choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
The US has had E10 since around 2006...

Funny, we had E10 in the Midwest (farm belt) back in the 80's

Originally Posted by M119
For some cars/situations requiring 5W-30 i have to go through the hassle of finding an oil that meets ACEA A3/B4 and order it online. That's always a costly option as any xW-30 oil is synthetic here plus i have to pay for shipping.

For example, an oil i can actually find at every store and sometimes on sale is the Total Quartz INEO Long Life 5W-30 since 99% of everything thinner than 5W-40 is low/mid saps here.

Is it possible to use this oil in old school gas engines that are exclusively running E85/flexfuel or at the very least E10 ? The SN rating makes me think so but i would like to hear the opinion of bitog experts !

What car do you have that requires a specific grade?

A friend's Blazer 4.3 mainly and maybe my merc for all the short trips i do during winter.

Originally Posted by M119
A friend's Blazer 4.3 mainly and maybe my merc for all the short trips i do during winter.

Most vehicle owner's manuals give a required specification, license or approval, not a grade. The Blazer has a grade requirement?

This whole thread is predicated on a requirement for 5W-30 right? I'm thinking that is an entirely false premise which is making your whole problem a lot worse than necessary.

That's what's writen on the oil cap and de dont have a manual on hand. Do you think 5W-40 synthetic or 10W-40 semi (both API SN / ACEA A3/B4) would be better options ?

I start wondering what's the truth about mid/low saps oil in older engines, the lubrizol tool shows that C3 covers A3/B3/B4. For example, what would be the impact of using a 229.31 or 229.51 oil in a gas engine calling for 229.1/3/5 ? I take this as an example because MB is what i know.

Last edited:
Depending on the year, that 4.3 is most likely a roller cam engine and it would be fine on pretty well anything xw30 or xw40. The owners manual would show many different grades you could use and their acceptable temperature ranges. I would go with whatever 30 or 40 weight pcmo you can easily get on sale.

Back