Accord detail {w/ Sonax P.N.S}

As many of you know, I try to keep on top of washing our cars. However, even with frequent washings the Taffeta White paint on my Accord gets dull and splotchy. It's the nature of the beast with single stage paint, the Florida sun does not help.

Today I washed as usual, then polished with NuFinish to clear the paint up. Once that step was complete I used Sonax Polymer Net Shield to seal the paint. I purchased this product after seeing some positive feedback here on BITOG.

The product is easy enough to apply, you simply spray the aerosol onto a foam applicator pad or directly onto the paint and evenly spread around, then buff off with microfiber. Well, the buffing off was a bear. The product felt "sticky" and produced a lot of drag while attempting to buff off. I am hoping this means it will be durable and last a while. Only time will tell.

Unfortunately while working on the car, I noticed some issues with the paint. Around the edges of the hood and trunk the paint is starting to flake off (very small at this point). I was able to used a touch up pen and paint over it, you can't even tell it was painted over. The affected area was small to begin with. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

The first two pictures show one of the areas I painted over. The paint felt very brittle and just flaked off on one spot when I touched it. The surrounding paint feels fine, so I am hoping I caught it early.

EDIT: It's a shame how crummy these pictures uploaded, they don't look nearly as crisp.

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

Originally Posted by MParr
gregk24
How close to the ocean are you? You may be dealing with salt corrosion from the salt laden air.

We are 30 miles from the Gulf.

PNS is known to be a little grabby so nothing you did wrong, just how it is. Many have said utilizing Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) as a drying aid will make it slick.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by MParr
gregk24
How close to the ocean are you? You may be dealing with salt corrosion from the salt laden air.

We are 30 miles from the Gulf.

That sure looks like salt corrosion on your hood bracket. Salt corrosion will get under the paint where sheet metal panels meet and along edges of sheet metal.

Back