Weedwhacker keeps stalling

Good Evening. I have a Craftsman weedwhacker model number 358791072. I have always run stabilized E0 gas and synthetic 2 cycle oil and never had a problem. Now, the engine will only run with the choke on. Opening the throttle kicks the choke off and it struggles to gain RPM and then stalls.

I put a generous amount of fuel system cleaner in the tank one week ago. I ran the trimmer for five minutes and then put it away. Usually, this fuel system soak solves a lot of problems. Not this time.

I can buy a carb, fuel lines, and tank filter for about 50 bucks. Before firing the parts cannon, is there anything I can check now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
Is the ‘spark arrestor' clean or removed?

Yes, check this screen in the exhaust for carbon buildup!

check muffler/spark arrester they can get clogged with carbon deposits take apart and clean if that's the case..i have had a few like that over the years

Originally Posted by Oldtom
Good Evening. I have a Craftsman weedwhacker model number 358791072. I have always run stabilized E0 gas and synthetic 2 cycle oil and never had a problem. Now, the engine will only run with the choke on. Opening the throttle kicks the choke off and it struggles to gain RPM and then stalls.

I put a generous amount of fuel system cleaner in the tank one week ago. I ran the trimmer for five minutes and then put it away. Usually, this fuel system soak solves a lot of problems. Not this time.

I can buy a carb, fuel lines, and tank filter for about 50 bucks. Before firing the parts cannon, is there anything I can check now? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It is carb related. You are running too lean and have to choke it to keep it running. The pumping diaphram likely stiffened up due to age and won't pull in enough fuel.It's not a plugged exhaust since that would cause issues all the time and wouldn't run properly even by choking.That Craftsman trimmer would have to be in real good condition before I would put $50 into it. You should be able to find a better price online and I wouldn't buy it from Sears, they are way too expensive.

Last edited:
Option 1. Seafoam the engine (50/50 soak with seafoam) which solved the problem about 50% of the time for about $8.

Option 2. If you go to Sears parts site you will find this model takes carburetor #545006017. Google this number brings up knock off carbs on eBay for
I would choose option 2.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
With those cheap trimmers, one thing breaks and midway through the summer, something else breaks, too. They have carbs cheap on eBay, but your blowing time fixing a POS Poulan basically.
An idea for those of you that have power tools is to see if the battery is compatible with a trimmer they offer. This Dewalt as an example: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCST920B-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Trimmer/dp/B01C5YWS3A?ref_=ast_sto_dp

So instead of him fixing it for $50 and being fine for a few more years you recommend he spend at least $125 on a new one? Seems kind of silly if the current one is repairable.

I fix a ton of weed trimmers for customers. Usually I can throw on an ebay carb (I don't even bother with rebuilds) and they are good for a few more years AT LEAST. If it breaks halfway through the season after a new carb they are operating it wrong.

Remove the carb from the engine then take off the metering diaphragm (usually 4 small screws on the side opposite the fuel inlet). If the rubber has become hard and "crispy" over time it will never be able to hold the proper mixture and it needs to be replaced (or replace entire carb). On the other side is the fuel pump, which is also diaphragm operated. But newer carbs will have a plastic or silicone fuel pump diaphragm that doesn't harden with age. A new diaphragm is only a couple of bucks and it is the one part that really needs replacing to "rebuild" the carb. Before putting the metering diaphragm back on shoot some carb spray cleaner through the small fuel passage holes in the area under the diaphragm. It should come out in the carbuerator throat.

Last edited:
As others have stated already I have fixed similar issues on several two strokes by replacing the diaphram on the carb. It may be more cost and time effective to just put a cheap carb on it from Amazon though.

Check the fuel Filter. My Stihl would start but not run at full throttle, I replaced the filter and it ran like new.

I bought a cheapie carb on amazon for like $20. Also get the fuel lines and filter in kit too ...Ive had fuel lines inside the tank dissolve so replace em. Closing the choke butterfly creates more vacuum helping pull in fuel ...issue sounds like diaphragm pump to me also.

Last edited:
If this is the first go-round so the rest of it isn't worn out yet, get a $10 carb rebuild kit and do that.

The generic chinese replacement carbs are hit or miss, some are such horrible quality control that the needle valves don't even have casting threads to hold onto and can't be adjusted right. The bad quality control is not just a matter of which fake-brand you buy, rather it is a certain % of all of them. If this were a more valuable trimmer then I'd get an OEM carb (Sears is not the OEM), if you are allergic to rebuilding the original.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by skyactiv
With those cheap trimmers, one thing breaks and midway through the summer, something else breaks, too. They have carbs cheap on eBay, but your blowing time fixing a POS Poulan basically.
An idea for those of you that have power tools is to see if the battery is compatible with a trimmer they offer. This Dewalt as an example: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCST920B-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Trimmer/dp/B01C5YWS3A?ref_=ast_sto_dp

So instead of him fixing it for $50 and being fine for a few more years you recommend he spend at least $125 on a new one? Seems kind of silly if the current one is repairable.

I fix a ton of weed trimmers for customers. Usually I can throw on an ebay carb (I don't even bother with rebuilds) and they are good for a few more years AT LEAST. If it breaks halfway through the season after a new carb they are operating it wrong.

That's the thing, "IF the current one is repairable". He's starting out with a low end trimmer, then if you throw garbage parts at it, maybe it starts working again or maybe not. Maybe more fiddling will get it running or maybe it only goes another year or two, becomes not worth the bother if it has enough years or hours on it, which is why some get the commercial/contractor grade gear, so it lasts more than ~50 hours.

So what I would do is, estimate how many hours it has ran, then add 3 hours for every year old it is. If that total exceeds 50 hours, replace it because it doesn't have a commercial engine. Whether you replace it with a $90 new low end trimmer, or a $60 refurb, or a $200+ mid-grade with a commercial engine, or a (variable price based on performance) cordless electric, is a topic onto itself.

"IF" it is only light trimming and you already own an 18V cordless tool brand which offers an 18V trimmer, I'd think long and hard about going that route, but you will never get the same performance or runtime out of 18V as you would any gas trimmer. You can go 40V+ and get the performance, but not the runtime (so consider the lot size you need to trim at once), and at about double the price, or more once you factor that you'll burn through one battery and need it replaced, by the time a new 2 cycle trimmer has worn out, but you can spread that cost out if you have other tools using same battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

That's the thing, "IF the current one is repairable". He's starting out with a low end trimmer, then if you throw garbage parts at it, maybe it starts working again or maybe not. Maybe more fiddling will get it running or maybe it only goes another year or two, becomes not worth the bother if it has enough years or hours on it, which is why some get the commercial/contractor grade gear, so it lasts more than ~50 hours.

So what I would do is, estimate how many hours it has ran, then add 3 hours for every year old it is. If that total exceeds 50 hours, replace it because it doesn't have a commercial engine. Whether you replace it with a $90 new low end trimmer, or a $60 refurb, or a $200+ mid-grade with a commercial engine, or a (variable price based on performance) cordless electric, is a topic onto itself.

"IF" it is only light trimming and you already own an 18V cordless tool brand which offers an 18V trimmer, I'd think long and hard about going that route, but you will never get the same performance or runtime out of 18V as you would any gas trimmer. You can go 40V+ and get the performance, but not the runtime (so consider the lot size you need to trim at once), and at about double the price, or more once you factor that you'll burn through one battery and need it replaced, by the time a new 2 cycle trimmer has worn out, but you can spread that cost out if you have other tools using same battery.

Lasts more than 50 hours?
crazy.gif

The only thing that might change after 50 hours is if the machine can meet the emissions requirements it could when it was new, hence those stickers on the side of the machines. Those stickers don't mean the engine will only last 50 hours... It's pretty easy to test compression. Instead of using this weird equation trying to figure out the hours on the machine, test the compression. The engine either has compression and will run, or it doesn't. I've fixed many "low end" trimmers over the years. The few that I didn't fix had low compression, and from talking to the owners, their fuel mix was likely questionable.

This sounds like typical BITOG syndrome, where if it isn't the best and there might be some issue with it, don't fix it go out and buy the most expensive replacement possible. Not everyone needs a commercial mower or piece of equipment for their homeowner sized yard.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Lasts more than 50 hours?
crazy.gif

The only thing that might change after 50 hours is if the machine can meet the emissions requirements it could when it was new, hence those stickers on the side of the machines. Those stickers don't mean the engine will only last 50 hours... It's pretty easy to test compression. Instead of using this weird equation trying to figure out the hours on the machine, test the compression. The engine either has compression and will run, or it doesn't. I've fixed many "low end" trimmers over the years. The few that I didn't fix had low compression, and from talking to the owners, their fuel mix was likely questionable.

Yes and no. The newer generation of trimmers are set to run leaner with non-adjustable carbs, and these consumer grade engines with their 50:1 oil mix ratio, don't last much more than 50 hours. It's not the compression that wears but rather the bearings and they start wobbling around hitting the ignition coil.

Ask the owners of the low end trimmers, how many hours they've really put on. Many will run them, say 10 minutes at a time, 20 times a year (if that), so 3.3 hours a year. It'll take them 15 years to reach 50 hours, then they may need a carb rebuild, fuel line, primer bulb, spool feed head, etc all done to a trimmer now worth $20 if repairable or negative value if parts are bought or labor paid that exceed its remaining viable lifespan? IMO it is a false economy to assume much past 50 hrs on consumer grade engine (based equipment), the cost per year to replace it can be pretty much the same but a lot less hassle.

You can often get lucky and spend under $20 to revive such a trimmer for a little while longer, but it starts to become a nickel and dime money pit at the 50 hour mark where it's just not worth it for consumer grade equipment. Suppose it cost $20 to get 3 more years out of it. Suppose you buy a new one at 15 years old. 15yr / 3 = 5yr, 5yr X $20 = $100, about the sale price of a new consumer grade trimmer.

Last edited:
As RyanY said, Seafoam. Before I'd get in to deep, get some Seafoam into the carb and let it sit for an hour or so overnight if possible. It may start right up on next pull. I know its only solvent but its a good blend and works on "small engines". I've had plenty luck in string trimmers, chain saws and small mowers.

Back