5w30 in Nissan Kicks?

Hey everyone. I hope you are are safe and well during this virus thing Going on. I used to live in pa. but Moved to north ga two years ago. I picked up a 2020 Nissan kicks SR in mid April. It has the little 1.6 liter HR16DE in it. And of course Nissan recommends 0w20. My question is: since GA gets very Hot during the summer. And winters are basically mild but does get cold sometimes. Do you guys think using PP 5w30 year round would be ok? Since the PP 5-30 is on the thinner side? I haven't had a four-cylinder in a while and I'm thinking maybe this little engine would benefit from it? What say you all?

5w30 will be fine year round. I ran 10w30 in my truck that called for 5w20.

You timing chain may thank you for it as well if you keep it a long time.

Probably best to stick with 0w20 during the warranty period, although after the warranty I see no problem using 5w30 or 10w30 in your climate, the HR16DE in older models like the 2009 Versa used to spec 5w30.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Probably best to stick with 0w20 during the warranty period, although after the warranty I see no problem using 5w30 or 10w30 in your climate, the HR16DE in older models like the 2009 Versa used to spec 5w30.
[Linked Image]

+1 for warranty. In case something would happen, best not to give them an out. That's just my opinion.

Yup run the 5w30 and dont think twice about it. Nissan only within the last 2 years or so started pushing the 0w20 and that's mainly for fuel economy.

I had that engine in My Versa Note, mine didn't make it thru the start of Winter up in the NorthEast.

The Chinese oil filter used then didnt flow oil properly, IMO.

I would use a Nissan Titan/Armada V8 size filter in that if you plan to use 5W30.

The V8 filter Same exact filter, only about and inch longer providing more media.
The Nissan OE Grupo GONHER have been shown by other on here to be problematic also due to faulty ADBV design..

I wish manufacturers would get their filter "stuff" together. That includes Toyota.

I heard about the oil filters and also the cold start issues in a very cold climate. Thanks for the heads up again re; the oil filter.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I had that engine in My Versa Note, mine didn't make it thru the start of Winter up in the NorthEast.

The Chinese oil filter used then didnt flow oil properly, IMO.

I would use a Nissan Titan/Armada V8 size filter in that if you plan to use 5W30.

The V8 filter Same exact filter, only about and inch longer providing more media.
The Nissan OE Grupo GONHER have been shown by other on here to be problematic also due to faulty ADBV design..

I wish manufacturers would get their filter "stuff" together. That includes Toyota.

Yea look up a Honda oil filter if having a hard time finding the larger filter. I use the Honda filters on all nissans/infiniti, including my own. Have not found 1 yet it did not fit.

Originally Posted by Jimzz

Yea look up a Honda oil filter if having a hard time finding the larger filter. I use the Honda filters on all nissans/infiniti, including my own. Have not found 1 yet it did not fit.

That's just a fram that you can get at walmart. No Honda magic if there actually was every any
smile.gif

Most All Japanese/Korean cars use the same filter design - except Toyota.
Subaru, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Infinity, Kia, Hyundai - same.

I think you can get the Legendary Tokyo Roki at a Mazda dealer.

I would go for that - its important!

Lot of Junk and knockoffs out there that will ruin an engine in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Jimzz

That's just a fram that you can get at walmart. No Honda magic if there actually was every any
smile.gif

Most All Japanese/Korean cars use the same filter design - except Toyota.
Subaru, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Infinity, Kia, Hyundai - same.

I think you can get the Legendary Tokyo Roki at a Mazda dealer.

I would go for that - its important!

Lot of Junk and knockoffs out there that will ruin an engine in a heartbeat.

No I mean not the Honda brand filter just look up a Honda civic and that filter is the exact same as the nissan (bypass, size, gasket, etc...) just a little longer.
smile.gif

So use the brand you like just look up the Honda Civic for the part number.

Back