Why do males, who don't need a BroTruck, buy big trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kira
But hey, consumerism is what made this country great, isn't it? Our BIGGEST INDUSTRY is advertising I think.

Consumerism with 2 parts narcissism and 3 parts lack of financial discipline.

Originally Posted by pcoxe
I have a 2009 Colorado Z71. Not a large truck but it does all I need with regards to hauling. Full perimeter frame with isolated body is quieter on the road than unibody stuff. With the stock factory lift, I can change the oil and filter without a floor jack. RWD with differential gives me reasonably even tire wear. Hope to keep it on the road for over 20 years.

I wasnt aware there is a vehicle sold that doesn't have a differential on driven axles.......

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
My wife and I bought this last March, paid it off on the first payment. It will never tow anything and will occasionally be used to haul things from Lowes or similar stores. We like it because it's big, comfortable, safe, good looking and loaded with options. And neither one of us are compensating for anything.

The fact that it aggravates people who believe it's up to them to determine what vehicle is acceptable for us to drive and how we spend our money is a free bonus!

[Linked Image]

Except, you have neither a bro-dozer or a big truck...

I don't know what the cutoff from a small truck to a large truck is, but mine is a Ram 1500 with the gas guzzling 5.7L Hemi so it's not exactly small. According to some here, I'm a little guy with small genitalia and a huge ego that has no business driving a pickup. I'd think that 41 years as a state trooper might counter some of that but maybe not. Also, according to the op, my buying it caused the price of pickup trucks that guys like him have to buy to go up and availability to go down,which has caused a hardship on the real truck guys.

Originally Posted by Spector
Moved to truck country 6 years ago and it just amazes me how many trucks I see that are spotless, just detailed and driven by people that probably need a truck twice a year but want one for other reasons. Fine, however, they proceed over railroad tracks at 5 mph due to it being a truck whereas a car can do it at 30 mph. really annoying following these monsters and then see them slow to a crawl for a RR track. Then, the ones that do not fit into a parking spot and stick out blocking traffic.

Much cheaper to rent a truck twice a year then buy a $50-60,000 truck and parade around the city in it, just crazy!

You know you could move back to where you came. Maybe then you would be in a better place where people don't buy trucks etc. if it's so annoying here then you have options. You see Americans have something most folks on the globe do not. FREEDOM. That freedom includes our right to "parade around" in anything we like.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Wrong just plain wrong. I helped my Son buy a new 18 Silverado WT for 23K. It was white single cab 4.3 V6 manual locks and windows. It was fun to drive. The dealership had 6 of them in Scottsdale Arizona. Basic inexpensive trucks are easy to find.

So what exactly is wrong? You found a dealership that has fleet trucks (which I mentioned), not all dealers do fleet sales, and even some that do do not have any in stock.
And 6 out of what, 200 trucks?
And were they all white? No thanks, I don't like white vehicles.
Your idea of inexpensive is different than mine.
Inexpensive is sticker < $20,000 (I would prefer closer to $15,000) and is near impossible to find (as I said, the Nissan Frontier is the only truck that starts @ < $20,000).
Sure right now you might be able to find some deals for < $20,000 on some NOS fleet vehicles, but it would be only what that particular dealer has on the lot.

Just using an example from my vehicles above, in 1983 Mazda had a basic truck for ~$6000. The Ford Ranger was similar price. That is ~$15,500 today.
Yes you have air bags, ABS, rear view camera's ad a few other things that are mandatory now, but that does not add $5,000 to vehicle price.
Where are those trucks at? Again, they are not made since there is no profit like the $35,000+ vehicles.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Good luck finding a compact standard cab 4x4 with a manual transmission. I'm not sure anyone even makes one anymore. Somebody made the point that these trucks don't sell and I'm sure that's the case, but to a degree the reason they don't sell is because they aren't offered. One of the best ways to make people buy $50K trucks is to refuse to offer them $20K trucks. ...

Exactly.

I don't care if someone wants to spend $70,000 on a truck. I think it is stupid, but it is not my money so no big deal, except it does end up raising the bar on all other vehicles in the class.
Auto manufactures will build and sell what makes them the most money, not necessarily what people need.
The above is the perfect example. Those that need a truck for work or personal use are forced into buying more than they may want because their need is not addressed.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
My wife and I bought this last March, paid it off on the first payment. It will never tow anything and will occasionally be used to haul things from Lowes or similar stores. We like it because it's big, comfortable, safe, good looking and loaded with options. And neither one of us are compensating for anything.

The fact that it aggravates people who believe it's up to them to determine what vehicle is acceptable for us to drive and how we spend our money is a free bonus!

[Linked Image]

Except, you have neither a bro-dozer or a big truck...

I don't know what the cutoff from a small truck to a large truck is, but mine is a Ram 1500 with the gas guzzling 5.7L Hemi so it's not exactly small. According to some here, I'm a little guy with small genitalia and a huge ego that has no business driving a pickup. I'd think that 41 years as a state trooper might counter some of that but maybe not. Also, according to the op, my buying it caused the price of pickup trucks that guys like him have to buy to go up and availability to go down,which has caused a hardship on the real truck guys.

I thought the topic was brodozers. Does everyone here know what a brodozer is? It's a very specific type of modified truck usually a 2500 or 3500, you get bro points if it's a diesel. They drive like crap, handle horribly, and sometimes have parts of dubious quality on them.

Your 1500 isn't a big truck in 2020 that's the equivalent of a chevy caprice or so back in the 70s or 80s. And it's got a gasser engine, that dont count to many In the brodozer crowd

I grew up poor and kinda still am so buying lifestyle vehicles with thier attached high profit margins reflected in the price doesn't work for me. If it works for others, and it obviously does, well then great.

As far as safety goes, maybe we should all drive around in semi trucks.

Some of the brodozer crowd has already made that plunge! Put a pickup bed on a semi chassis.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Originally Posted by Spector
Moved to truck country 6 years ago and it just amazes me how many trucks I see that are spotless, just detailed and driven by people that probably need a truck twice a year but want one for other reasons. Fine, however, they proceed over railroad tracks at 5 mph due to it being a truck whereas a car can do it at 30 mph. really annoying following these monsters and then see them slow to a crawl for a RR track. Then, the ones that do not fit into a parking spot and stick out blocking traffic.

Much cheaper to rent a truck twice a year then buy a $50-60,000 truck and parade around the city in it, just crazy!

You know you could move back to where you came. Maybe then you would be in a better place where people don't buy trucks etc. if it's so annoying here then you have options. You see Americans have something most folks on the globe do not. FREEDOM. That freedom includes our right to "parade around" in anything we like.

I think you misread him--I took it as, "I think they're foolish but they're in their right to do as they wish, but please, for the love god, quit slowing down for minor bumps in the road".

Brodozer- Generally a 2500 and up, diesel a plus that way you can spew unburnt fuel out of the exhaust and help the local children develop respiratory problems.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
We are all "wasteful" in our own ways. I certainly am. My issue with brodozers is the way they are typically driven recklessly, and the fact they do not meet safety regs for pedestrians, other vehicles ect. I typically see one every few weeks at the local tow yard that has been flipped, often no seatbelt with a case of beer in the truck.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Little boys make excuses to judge others based on some possession, because they feel inadequate and want to project their own shortcoming onto others. Today it's a truck, tomorrow something else. Heh, I don't current own a pickup or any lifted vehicle but I see this nonsense so often, people who want to pretend they are fit to judge others and should deny others the freedom to have whatever adult toys they want.

Just wait till someone finds something you own to be "unnecessary", decides you shouldn't have whatever life you choose. It's a sad world we live in, when people rationalize that.

Quite a change of opinion from this prior post:

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by E365
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Increased CAFE targets are going to make ALL trucks expensive and disappointing eventually.

I disagree. The Ranger starts at $24,300 but you can option/accessorize right to about $50,000. They all come with the same engine.

That's $25,000 of extras that have nothing to do with CAFE. Truck are expensive because people want, and buy, gadgets and luxury options.

Nope. There is no amount of luxury that should amount to $25K in a pickup truck. It's a shell game of setting the high price then negotiating it down, when no lot is going to have $24K Rangers.

Let's see how well $50K Rangers sell. I am not discounting the possibility that a lot of idiots exist in the world, but initial sales of $50K does not equal perpetual sales.

They can take their 2.4L turbocharged engine and shove it up their...

Remember when pickup trucks lasted longer than you needed them to? Ford is hoping you are too young to remember, but it's not fair to point the finger at ford, rather it is the idiot ignorant buyers in todays market that can't see past a day from Tuesday.

On the plus side, if you are invested in learning and fixing this tech, you will find some bargains on used pickups in the next decade, from any brand, again it's not Ford exclusively that has made a wrong turn here.

Pickup trucks need to be seen as a tool, only an idiot buys one as a luxury vehicle because, well I don't have the time nor you the time to argue over why a pickup is never going to be a luxury vehicle except contrasted against other pickup trucks, which is like saying I'll pick the best of the worst for my intention if it only costs $25K more... lol.

If you want luxury, get a real luxury sedan and have a used pickup on the side when you need that functionality. What automakers are doing with pickup truck pricing is utter madness.

Have you ever been at a rest area alongside I-15 about to stroke out while preaching to a random guy and his wife about their "obscene" truck and toy hauler?

Quoted from this thread: Bitog thread

Last edited by a moderator:
My Ram is a regular cab, short bed 2wd, I've thought about putting a 2/4 drop on it. That would slot me into the "why would you buy a truck and lower it?" Category. Does that mean my junk is huge since I'm going the opposite direction of a lifted truck?
There's always those who question why someone does whatever it is that they do to their vehicles. It all boils down to personal taste.

Bought my Silverado new in 83 when i was still in the NAVY, my daily driver, kept her in the weeds and out of the sky. Back in the day custom trucks were coming to the front of the Cali car scene. Low and slow was the word of the day, American Graffiti really got things going. 37 yrs of dependable service, now that i'm Retired she's due for a makeover.
11.gif

IMG_0030.JPG

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by dave1251

Wrong just plain wrong. I helped my Son buy a new 18 Silverado WT for 23K. It was white single cab 4.3 V6 manual locks and windows. It was fun to drive. The dealership had 6 of them in Scottsdale Arizona. Basic inexpensive trucks are easy to find.

So what exactly is wrong? You found a dealership that has fleet trucks (which I mentioned), not all dealers do fleet sales, and even some that do do not have any in stock.
And 6 out of what, 200 trucks?
And were they all white? No thanks, I don't like white vehicles.
Your idea of inexpensive is different than mine.
Inexpensive is sticker < $20,000 (I would prefer closer to $15,000) and is near impossible to find (as I said, the Nissan Frontier is the only truck that starts @ < $20,000).
Sure right now you might be able to find some deals for < $20,000 on some NOS fleet vehicles, but it would be only what that particular dealer has on the lot.

Just using an example from my vehicles above, in 1983 Mazda had a basic truck for ~$6000. The Ford Ranger was similar price. That is ~$15,500 today.
Yes you have air bags, ABS, rear view camera's ad a few other things that are mandatory now, but that does not add $5,000 to vehicle price.
Where are those trucks at? Again, they are not made since there is no profit like the $35,000+ vehicles.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Good luck finding a compact standard cab 4x4 with a manual transmission. I'm not sure anyone even makes one anymore. Somebody made the point that these trucks don't sell and I'm sure that's the case, but to a degree the reason they don't sell is because they aren't offered. One of the best ways to make people buy $50K trucks is to refuse to offer them $20K trucks. ...

Exactly.

I don't care if someone wants to spend $70,000 on a truck. I think it is stupid, but it is not my money so no big deal, except it does end up raising the bar on all other vehicles in the class.
Auto manufactures will build and sell what makes them the most money, not necessarily what people need.
The above is the perfect example. Those that need a truck for work or personal use are forced into buying more than they may want because their need is not addressed.

No. Basic Regular Cab trucks are on every new lot I drive by or look at. They are not hard to find. How is that so hard to understand there are 5 dozen basic work trucks anyone could buy in a 15 mile radius of Chandler Arizona.

Less than 20K what is this 2000? Colors white, blue, red, or gray. But mostly white. You let time pass you up on market trends. That is totally on you.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Bought my Silverado new in 83 when i was still in the NAVY, my daily driver, kept her in the weeds and out of the sky. Back in the day custom trucks were coming to the front of the Cali car scene. Low and slow was the word of the day, American Graffiti really got things going. 37 yrs of dependable service, now that i'm Retired she's due for a makeover.
11.gif

That is a gorgeous truck.

Last edited:
Trucks are super practical. I owned pickups for decades until we went minivan/SUV for the kids.

1. Carry stuff
2. Move Stuff
3. Tow Stuff
4. Safer in a crash
5. Better drivers on dirt roads
6. Better visibility, especially in bad/snowy weather
7. Last longer, a lot longer. My family members who work construction get 20 yrs out of their trucks, 20 years of hard driving and hauling.

Besides, the trucks these days are more like passenger cars than the bouncy, clumsy pickups of old. And the gas mileage is not much worse than my Honda V6.
I've found the pickup drivers to be a lot more polite when I ride my bike. It's the luxury car drivers who are jerks.

Last edited:
in 2006, went to England , no big trucks as gas was $100 US dollars for 12 gallons. would that price change your driving habits?
they had some box trucks, and semis but no f 350s pulling a trailer with 3 lawnmowers.

I put 295/65/20 Toyo CTs on my truck last fall and only got stuck in deep snow twice last winter.

You should see the hotel parking lots in northern Alberta. All the trucks are lifted, deleted and covered in mud.

Edit; My daughter, because she is only 5'4", drives a 2018 3500 High Country Duramax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HemiBenny
Originally Posted by Malo83
11.gif

That is a gorgeous truck.

Thanks,
cheers3.gif

Blu … it's clearly an area market thing … we bought the Tahoe close to you on the Katy freeway … plenty of selection.
But my regular cab Z71 ? I had to drive 130 miles to Austin for that …
Now there were many of the 3.3L F150's 4WD's in Houston … but they all had an open differential in the rear … nonstarter even if I was willing to accept the smaller engine …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back