Why do males, who don't need a BroTruck, buy big trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
they way i look at it is , if i'm not making money with a truck , I sure don't need one just to ride around in...when I was working in home remodeling i really needed a truck but now if I need anything hauled I have a few friends with trucks or just have whatever delivered...sure a lot cheaper than high payments and fuel costs, tires etc

Little boys make excuses to judge others based on some possession, because they feel inadequate and want to project their own shortcoming onto others. Today it's a truck, tomorrow something else. Heh, I don't current own a pickup or any lifted vehicle but I see this nonsense so often, people who want to pretend they are fit to judge others and should deny others the freedom to have whatever adult toys they want.

Just wait till someone finds something you own to be "unnecessary", decides you shouldn't have whatever life you choose. It's a sad world we live in, when people rationalize that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino
[Linked Image]

So true!
Best reply in this thread.

Biggest problem I have is 9 times out out of 10 they drive reckless, at least around here. People can spend their credit line....I mean money however they want, a common theme around here is a 50k truck in the driveway of a domicile that is worth 20k and is barely livable.

The shame of it IMHO is for the money spent on these redneck status symbols you could actually buy a very nice driving vehicle. I often think maybe the people who want to drive around in a f350 as a grocery getter has never driven a truly nice vehicle.... I have always found big pickups a chore to drive, relatively numb steering. add a bro dozer kit to them and they drive like a stick in the mud.

I have driven just about every vehicle imaginable over the years in my automotive tech career save for supercars and I could think of so many better choices for me if I had 50k to spend on a vehicle.

But enough people find the "value" in pickup trucks as commuter cars even stock f150s, they have the best profit margins in the industry and people buy them as quick as they come off the line.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Little boys make excuses to judge others based on some possession, because they feel inadequate and want to project their own shortcoming onto others. Today it's a truck, tomorrow something else. Heh, I don't current own a pickup or any lifted vehicle but I see this nonsense so often, people who want to pretend they are fit to judge others and should deny others the freedom to have whatever adult toys they want.

I don't see anyone denying freedoms to others. Just wondering the psychology of bro trucks. And it works both ways. People judging those that drive soul crushing boring Toyotas. I don't care how anyone spends their money. My next door neighbor has two pickup trucks. He bought a new one and never got rid of the old one. He drives it in his backyard to do gardening and stuff.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Some buy them for safety. If you have an accident with a car chances are you will be safer in the truck.

Perceived safety. Look at actual crash tests, some trucks are at the bottom of the list of vehicles for overall safety.

Originally Posted by odotb
[Linked Image]

I bought this new in 2005, still have it. It has a small BDS lift kit under it, dealer installed. For many years I really enjoyed the added height, you could see everything around you very easily and it was fun to drive. I am now 70 years old with health issues, and the added height is a pain. It's hard to get in and out of and working under the hood without a step ladder is next to impossible. If I get another truck it will be 2 wheel drive and no lift of any kind.

Problem is new full size 2wd trucks are as tall as your current truck with a lift.
A 2wd "midsize" will probably be more what you will want, but even then, they are getting tall as well.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
and jack up demand/price for those of us who have to have trucks? If I could get away with driving a Corola or Camry, I would.

I think I get what you are saying, not as much a slam on those that choose to buy these fancy trucks, but the fact that truck sales have increased so much and are in such demand that prices on them have risen drastically in the past 20 years. Plus there are no longer any "cheap" trucks out there.

In the 80's and 90's, you could get a Ford Ranger/Mazda 2000, Chevy S-10/GMC S-15, Jeep Comanchee, Dodge Dakota for pretty cheap even new, and they were a basic truck. Sure you could get A/C as an option, and maybe power windows and locks, but they were cheap.
Now days to get a basic truck it has to be special ordered. Few dealers (except very rural dealers or high volume dealers that deal with fleet sales) have anything that could be considered inexpensive in stock or even interested in ordering one for you.

Cheapest truck right now is a Nissan Frontier, starts at $19,300.
Where are the economy trucks? They would sell, but not with the profit of the mid-size and full size, so they don't make them.
This is one of the reasons the old Ford Ranger and S-10 pickups are still holding their value, people like the size and practicality of them, and they don't make anything like it any more.
Heck, I think a new Ford Ranger mid size is bigger and taller than my '02 F150.

F150 vs new Ranger. The Ranger is obviously smaller. The Ranger is hated by the internet unfairly unlike the Colorado and especially the Tacoma.

[Linked Image]

I've owned trucks the majority of my life. I just like them. Guess we live in a society where owning a truck must be a terrible offense.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Some buy them for safety. If you have an accident with a car chances are you will be safer in the truck.

Perceived safety. Look at actual crash tests, some trucks are at the bottom of the list of vehicles for overall safety.

Originally Posted by odotb
[Linked Image]

I bought this new in 2005, still have it. It has a small BDS lift kit under it, dealer installed. For many years I really enjoyed the added height, you could see everything around you very easily and it was fun to drive. I am now 70 years old with health issues, and the added height is a pain. It's hard to get in and out of and working under the hood without a step ladder is next to impossible. If I get another truck it will be 2 wheel drive and no lift of any kind.

Problem is new full size 2wd trucks are as tall as your current truck with a lift.
A 2wd "midsize" will probably be more what you will want, but even then, they are getting tall as well.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
and jack up demand/price for those of us who have to have trucks? If I could get away with driving a Corola or Camry, I would.

I think I get what you are saying, not as much a slam on those that choose to buy these fancy trucks, but the fact that truck sales have increased so much and are in such demand that prices on them have risen drastically in the past 20 years. Plus there are no longer any "cheap" trucks out there.

In the 80's and 90's, you could get a Ford Ranger/Mazda 2000, Chevy S-10/GMC S-15, Jeep Comanchee, Dodge Dakota for pretty cheap even new, and they were a basic truck. Sure you could get A/C as an option, and maybe power windows and locks, but they were cheap.
Now days to get a basic truck it has to be special ordered. Few dealers (except very rural dealers or high volume dealers that deal with fleet sales) have anything that could be considered inexpensive in stock or even interested in ordering one for you.

Cheapest truck right now is a Nissan Frontier, starts at $19,300.
Where are the economy trucks? They would sell, but not with the profit of the mid-size and full size, so they don't make them.
This is one of the reasons the old Ford Ranger and S-10 pickups are still holding their value, people like the size and practicality of them, and they don't make anything like it any more.
Heck, I think a new Ford Ranger mid size is bigger and taller than my '02 F150.

Wrong just plain wrong. I helped my Son buy a new 18 Silverado WT for 23K. It was white single cab 4.3 V6 manual locks and windows. It was fun to drive. The dealership had 6 of them in Scottsdale Arizona. Basic inexpensive trucks are easy to find.

Because they can would be my vote.

Not sure that we've ever bought into the notion of "need" in this country. Someone wants it, they can have it--assuming they can pay for it, and it doesn't (excessively) impact others. [Once the impacts start to add up, eventually public opinion morphs into law.]

I must live a sheltered life, I run into very few of these creations. Lots of pickups around here, but most seem to stay stock. Most of the brodozers don't last long--if I were to project, it'd because they bought "the cool model" which was an older one, meaning it was likely clapped out to begin with--and then when the first expensive repair hit, that was the end of the fascination.

I keep thinking about downsizing out of my full sized truck, I don't mind climbing up into it but whenever I work on it I'm reminded of just how awfully big it is.

The two people in my neighborhood with pickup trucks is a landscaper. His truck is not the expensive version and he obviously uses it to haul landscape material. The other guy is a plumber who owns 10 cars. I think he just like to collect them as a hobby. His truck is a the really expensive version, but may be used to haul his equipment as well as carry around kids stuff. Both are sort of people I expect to have a truck. Both are contractors.

I decided to lookup the demographics based on an article written in 2020 on the best selling full-size pickup:
Ford F150 - 84% male, average age 55, average household income 82k, mostly in large and medium cities.
Chevy Silverado - about the same as Ford.
Dodge RAM 1500 - 81% male, average age 50, average income 77k. Half of them are in rural areas.
GMC Sierra - highest of male, average income 80K.
Toyota Tundra - about the same as Ford.

So it appears to be skew toward male and older (not surprising on the older part if it's that expensive, few 20 year old make 80K+ a year). What's surprising me is that a lot of them are in cities. I used to live in the city and it's a real pain to park even a subcompact. Then again, may be truck drivers just do paid parking.

What seems to be missing these days are those mini-trucks that were popular with younger males in my childhood like Chevy S10. I am guessing that they are not profitable items due to the low end. I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood and they were fairly popular, but most pickups are full-size these days.

Paul

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

Just wait till someone finds something you own to be "unnecessary", decides you shouldn't have whatever life you choose. It's a sad world we live in, when people rationalize that.

Precisely.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
I was wondering who buys these trucks. A lot of them are really expensive like $50-70K, What's the demographics of people buying them?

Paul

They have stupid parents who have deep pockets funding their expensive hobby.

Hmmm, I'm 64 and my wife is 60. Our parents are deceased.

Man I actually complimented you on your beautiful truck
smile.gif
. My comment was to the high school aged children who are driving the dolled up showboats. Those kids (usually aged 16-18) aren't old enough to have that line of credit yet.

I know, and I appreciate the compliment, but your comment about parents being stupid because they give their kids a nice vehicle to drive illustrates perfectly my point about people feeling like it's up to them to decide what is acceptable or not for others to do with their money. If parents have the money and want to spend it on their kids how are you or anyone else qualified to call them stupid?

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
My wife and I bought this last March, paid it off on the first payment. It will never tow anything and will occasionally be used to haul things from Lowes or similar stores. We like it because it's big, comfortable, safe, good looking and loaded with options. And neither one of us are compensating for anything.

The fact that it aggravates people who believe it's up to them to determine what vehicle is acceptable for us to drive and how we spend our money is a free bonus!

[Linked Image]

Except, you have neither a bro-dozer or a big truck...

The two people in my neighborhood with pickup trucks is a landscaper. His truck is not the expensive version and he obviously uses it to haul landscape material. The other guy is a plumber who owns 10 cars. I think he just like to collect them as a hobby. His truck is a the really expensive version, but may be used to haul his equipment as well as carry around kids stuff. Both are sort of people I expect to have a truck. Both are contractors.

I decided to lookup the demographics based on an article written in 2020 on the best selling full-size pickup:
Ford F150 - 84% male, average age 55, average household income 82k, mostly in large and medium cities.
Dodge RAM 1500 - 81% male, average age 50, average income 77k. Half of them are in rural areas.

Kinda surprised on the Toyota, would have figured on something skewing that to make them different. Maybe if you tossed in Ridgeline, then compared against Frontier/Ranger/Colorado, maybe there'd be some variety in the statistics.

Then again, would there? For the heck of it, I googled "us median income" and got $31k. Then I did "us median income new car buyer" and it was $80k. I'm guessing there just isn't many new car buyers in the low income brackets. Average isn't the same as median, but I wonder if it makes any difference.

Originally Posted by supton

Kinda surprised on the Toyota, would have figured on something skewing that to make them different. Maybe if you tossed in Ridgeline, then compared against Frontier/Ranger/Colorado, maybe there'd be some variety in the statistics.

Then again, would there? For the heck of it, I googled "us median income" and got $31k. Then I did "us median income new car buyer" and it was $80k. I'm guessing there just isn't many new car buyers in the low income brackets. Average isn't the same as median, but I wonder if it makes any difference.

The stat is for the best selling truck, there are other trucks being sold, but just not in the numbers. I have two hypothesis on why these trucks are purchased. The first one is the OP's assertion that it projects a manly image. The fits with the mostly male buyers and the commercial that projects a owner who lives out in the rural area. The second hypothesis is that the buyers have been truck buyers all of their life but now they are older and have more disposable income they want to upgrade to something more luxury.

Paul

Originally Posted by MCompact
Trucks aren't my thing, but if you like them-stock or modded-have at it.

My philosophy is. Buy whatever the heck you like- it's none of my business. Just accord me the same privilege.

I despise the Safety Gestapo, the Green Eco-Weenies, assorted busybodies and any other hand wringing bed wetters who want to tell me what I "need" or should drive.

Yep.

From 1981 until 2013 I owned a compact 4x4 truck with a manual transmission. Except for the 97 Tacoma they were all standard cab. In 2010 we bought some property not adjacent to our house so I bought a tractor. A few months later my father passed away and I inherited his 1998 Chevy 1500 4x4 with a 5.7. This allowed me to buy a trailer so I could haul the tractor between the two properties. I sold my compact truck a couple of years later.

10 years later and I don't trust the 22 year old truck to travel out of state so I now have a Nissan Titan, also a 4x4 with a V8. Also extended cab. In retrospect I wish I had bought a standard cab with an 8ft bed but this one was less than $27K with rebates so I couldn't pass it up. I just can't see spending the kind of money people ask for the really fancy trucks. The only option on my truck is the towing package...although the amount of stuff that is standard is much more than it used to be.

I would still be happy driving a standard cab compact with a manual transmission but my needs have changed now that I own a car for daily driving and only use a truck for towing/hauling. If we ever sell the farm I probably won't need that kind of towing capacity anymore and I might try to trade down. Good luck finding a compact standard cab 4x4 with a manual transmission. I'm not sure anyone even makes one anymore. Somebody made the point that these trucks don't sell and I'm sure that's the case, but to a degree the reason they don't sell is because they aren't offered. One of the best ways to make people buy $50K trucks is to refuse to offer them $20K trucks.

In the final analysis I think the real reason people buy big fancy trucks now is because they are exempt from CAFE standards. You simply can't buy a big fancy car with a V8 anymore because even though buyers might be willing to pay the gas guzzler tax the makers couldn't take the hit those care would inflict on their corporate fuel economy average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back