Why do males, who don't need a BroTruck, buy big trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all could live in 800 sq ft apartments, drive a "Speck", no air conditioning, no cell phones, or anything but going to work and surviving. This is the USA. I (like the rest of you) do what we like as long as it doesn't tread on anyone else. Worry about something else... like your gamer friends score.

Maybe, just maybe, its because they like trucks. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
I was wondering who buys these trucks. A lot of them are really expensive like $50-70K, What's the demographics of people buying them?

Paul

And plenty of them aren't $50,000. Trucks can be a great value. $35K will get you a nice truck that will last the typical person 20+ years. Everyone likes to judge truck prices by looking at luxury optioned trucks. It's like using 600 series Mercedes as an indicator of car prices.

I use my truck as a truck.

But besides that, I don't care what other people buy, drive, or why. As long as it's roadworthy.

Buy what you want and don't worry about others.

Worrying or blaming others will make you constantly unhappy, or vice-versa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bud

Best answer yet.

I have a 2009 Colorado Z71. Not a large truck but it does all I need with regards to hauling. Full perimeter frame with isolated body is quieter on the road than unibody stuff. With the stock factory lift, I can change the oil and filter without a floor jack. RWD with differential gives me reasonably even tire wear. Hope to keep it on the road for over 20 years.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Originally Posted by Bud

Best answer yet.

+2

I've had a few trucks over the years, and thinking back my favorite by far and away was the 91 Ranger. It was a standard cab 2WD 4 cylinder, with its only concessions to convenience being an automatic(I'd have preferred a manual) and air conditioning. It was handy for my normal uses for trucks, whether that's hauling some boxes, a piece of furniture, an engine, or a load of dirt, but was not big or unwieldy. It was already a bit beat up when I bought it cheap, so I didn't mind going places in it that I wouldn't have taken a nicer car. Oh, it was also a hoot and a half to drive, and was the most nimble truck I've ever driven. It wasn't my primary vehicle, though, even though at the time I had a 120 mile round trip commute every day and drove it a fair bit to keep the miles off my good car.

With all of that said, I won't begrudge anyone buying a nice, fancy truck. For many people now, they are their primary vehicle, and it makes sense to get it as nice as you want/can afford. I'd rather be around big fancy trucks than Civics with cut springs and [censored] cans, although both can be(note-can be, not are) piloted by people who drive like idiots.

It's herd mentality. It's what's "in". People for the most part are cattle and do what they're told they're supposed to do. Fads come and go and I'm thinking this one is one its way out, since I only see it now in small towns. It completely takes away the utilization of a truck based vehicle. All those pink and Easter egg colored accessories will get destroyed if they try to haul goods, tow any kind've trailer, or go off road. I would actually like to own a truck simply because they're indestructable,and Texas has horrible roads that destroy your car's suspension. The current gayest fad I keep seeing are the "angry eyebrow" Jeeps all prettied up looking like a Barbie Doll army tank. ALWAYS driven by girls. Pink girl power stickers all over them, etc. I dunno,maybe it's me. I'm not all about advertising and drawing attention to myself saying "look at me look at me!!".

A few fads of the past I can remember off the top of my head:

Jacked up in the back with HUGE tires on the rear and small ones on the front
The 1990s lowered mini truck craze
Jacked up in the front and low in the back
Putting Cadillac emblems on Chevys and Lincoln emblems on Fords
Ultra Hot stickers
Keep Calm Chive On stickers
Underwear stickers
Ice chest stickers
Girl power stickers
Duck head and deer head stickers
Spinners
Curb feelers
Euro accessories (those black plastic flare thingies all over your car you could buy at auto parts chains)
K&N stickers everywhere
Axles that stick out ten feet on all for wheels with tiny tires
Rubber band tires on Impalas jacked up like a 4x4 truck

My wife and I bought this last March, paid it off on the first payment. It will never tow anything and will occasionally be used to haul things from Lowes or similar stores. We like it because it's big, comfortable, safe, good looking and loaded with options. And neither one of us are compensating for anything.

The fact that it aggravates people who believe it's up to them to determine what vehicle is acceptable for us to drive and how we spend our money is a free bonus!

[Linked Image]

I was wondering who buys these trucks. A lot of them are really expensive like $50-70K, What's the demographics of people buying them?

Paul

They have stupid parents who have deep pockets funding their expensive hobby.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Some buy them for safety. If you have an accident with a car chances are you will be safer in the truck.

Watch some crash test videos, this is usually not the case.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
My wife and I bought this last March, paid it off on the first payment. It will never tow anything and will occasionally be used to haul things from Lowes or similar stores. We like it because it's big, comfortable, safe, good looking and loaded with options. And neither one of us are compensating for anything.

The fact that it aggravates people who believe it's up to them to determine what vehicle is acceptable for us to drive and how we spend our money is a free bonus!

[Linked Image]

That's NICE! Looks like a hot rod! Love that color combo!
cheers3.gif

I wonder the same thing. I live in bro truck country here in the panhandle. I guess I see the appeal, but by the time you have it lifted (which most are) you are north of $60K easy. Nothing wrong with spending your money how you want, it just shows how many are very financially irresponsible. Ive always been a sedan guy myself, practical, economical, and more fun to drive.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Paul

Hmmm, I'm 64 and my wife is 60. Our parents are deceased.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Some buy them for safety. If you have an accident with a car chances are you will be safer in the truck.

Watch some crash test videos, this is usually not the case.

Depends on what hits what.
A stiff frame is not always your friend when hitting a fixed object … but works well if hitting a Fiat.

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Paul

Hmmm, I'm 64 and my wife is 60. Our parents are deceased.

Man I actually complimented you on your beautiful truck
smile.gif
. My comment was to the high school aged children who are driving the dolled up showboats. Those kids (usually aged 16-18) aren't old enough to have that line of credit yet.

Moved to truck country 6 years ago and it just amazes me how many trucks I see that are spotless, just detailed and driven by people that probably need a truck twice a year but want one for other reasons. Fine, however, they proceed over railroad tracks at 5 mph due to it being a truck whereas a car can do it at 30 mph. really annoying following these monsters and then see them slow to a crawl for a RR track. Then, the ones that do not fit into a parking spot and stick out blocking traffic.

Much cheaper to rent a truck twice a year then buy a $50-60,000 truck and parade around the city in it, just crazy!

Originally Posted by Spector
however, they proceed over railroad tracks at 5 mph due to it being a truck whereas a car can do it at 30 mph.

That's because all those pink suspension parts will fall off. I too see them creep at 1mph into a parking lot entrance ramp or over speed bumps. Those dolled up accessories will all fall off. I've actually seen it happen haha!

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
They like the looks.

Why do people buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini if speed limit is 65 mph ?
Civic and Corolla can also do 65....

They don't follow the speed limit. Just get a 400hp Civic with full suspension and some nice tires and rims, and do some "sport driving"!! Yeeee Haaa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back